Grumman Gb Chat

TEMPESTMK5

With this GB approaching fast I'd better start deciding a subject... my stash is crammed with Tomcats in every scale but as I'm sure there will be several others I may choose something different. I have a few Wildcats too but again I'm sure that with the recent Airfix kit around many will choose this. A more exotic choice would be the Sword Cougar, might build this. Even more interesting would be a Tigercat but both my kits would need quite a lot of work... now should I feel really brave I may build a Guardian, a type that I'm pretty sure would not be on everyone's radar here... I'm leaning towards the Cougar but I may well change my mind before the start...

• Like 3

Ah Nut's!  I was having a sabatical from GB's for a while but too good a subject to miss,I'll do a couple of build's Thinking  Tamiya's Wildcat and

Eduard's Hellcat (RN) in 1/48 scale.

8 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Patrice,

I've just purchased a Hellcat Mk1 from the 'For Sale' section which I believe will fit the bill so If I may, please add me to the list

Cheers

Nigel

Good afternoon Nigel

Welcome aboard , you can already start a thread and start building this Hellcat on 20 ..

Enjoy your build

Cheers

Patrice

4 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Nigel

Welcome aboard , you can already start a thread and start building this Hellcat on 20 ..

Enjoy your build

Cheers

Patrice

Thank you, Patrice :happy:

• Like 1

• Thanks 1

I was going to do a frog wildcat or intruder, but these seem well represented, so while sitting at the keyboard yesterday looking at a well known auction site, my fingers slipped and  I appear to have purchased a 1/48 Trumpeter F9F-2P Panther to add to the GB :) 

Just got to finish the Hunter F6 for the 60s NATO GB then it should have arrived and I'll start a build post

Never built anything Trumpeter before, but they seem to have decent reviews from what I've seen 🤔 

Ian

Having just realised that the ‘Dual Combo’ actually means there are two kits in one box as oppose to one of two variations :facepalm:, I might actually have a go at both!! I bought it for the black & white stripe version but may also try one of the grey versions in parallel :think:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I was going to do a frog wildcat or intruder, but these seem well represented, so while sitting at the keyboard yesterday looking at a well known auction site, my fingers slipped and  I appear to have purchased a 1/48 Trumpeter F9F-2P Panther to add to the GB :) 

Just got to finish the Hunter F6 for the 60s NATO GB then it should have arrived and I'll start a build post

Never built anything Trumpeter before, but they seem to have decent reviews from what I've seen 🤔 

Ian

Good morning

So far I have built the F100D and Sea Fury from Trumpetter in 1/72 and enjoyed building them ..

You should be happy with the 1/48 Panther ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Redstaff said:

:rofl2:

The Panther (which I don't have) seems to be a relatively well regarded Trumpeter kit, though (naturally) not without some quibbles.  I do have a Monogram Panther or two (shockingly recently acquired, in fact), though for some reason I don't think one is a very strong contender for my entry...

• Like 1

Good afternoon all

In this link you will find the list of the Grumman products eligible to this Gb 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman

But if you have any doubts do not hesitate to contact me I will try to answer as quickly as possible but please keep in mind that i also have a life and a work outside the forum so I could not be as present as I would like .

I will try to welcome each participant and watch each build but do not blame me too much because in the face of the success of this GB and the high number of builds already planned I might not be able to follow them all ...

Have a great Gb ...

Patrice

Afternoon all,

Looking to join in with this one. I have quite a few subjects to build - more than I realised! Just out of curiosity, I know "what-ifs" are excluded but what about actual aircraft from movies/games? Only reason I ask is because I have decals for an F-14 in "The Final Countdown" - never seen that film. I also have an Hasegawa F-14 from Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War... Actually I have 3 or 4 F-14's from Ace Combat also I was going to do one from Macross (there is a connection here).  Also I looked at the Wiki link that Tempestmk5 kindly put up, the B-2 isn't mentioned on there... I'm sure that's a Northrop aircraft but Wiki says "Northrop-Grumman"... Have I missed something?

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Good afternoon Dazz

I think that a F14 Tomcat from this movie would fit perfectly in this Gb as in this Wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film)

you can see a photo of 2 VF84 Tomcats flying in formation with a IJN Zero .. 

For this Gb I would prefer to see builds depicting aircraft that actually flew rather then in video games  ..

Cheers

Patrice

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Dazz

I think that a F14 Tomcat from this movie would fit perfectly in this Gb as in this Wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Countdown_(film)

you can see a photo of 2 VF84 Tomcats flying in formation with a IJN Zero .. 

For this Gb I would prefer to see builds depicting aircraft that actually flew rather then in video games  ..

Cheers

Patrice

Thank you for answering my questions, Patrice. Think I will be doing a VF-84 bird. That picture has given me an idea for a diorama. However I only have Zero's I don't own any T-5 Texans... Hhmm... No worries about the game related Tomcats. Don't ask, you don't know. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Because I'm a special kind of special, about 3 weeks ago I sold the Hasegawa F-14A that I'd planned to make (in Iranian colours) for this GB. Because I'd forgotten that the GB was on. Today, I bought a 144th Revell Tomcat (the Black Bunny boxing, but I'll do the fleet bird) so that I can par-tiss-ee-pate. I also bought a Revell 72th version, so that I can do the Iranian one.

Special, like I said.

I won't start a build thread until I've cleared the bench of my personal KUTA builds, of which I have 4 pretty close to finished. So maybe by the end of the week... maybe.

Guys I've noticed no Tigercat builds so far, just thought I'd check if this wasn't to far gone to enter. I've built the cockpit and painted the interior, that's it so far. Figured this GB would be the perfect time to finish it off.

20181021_133029

Tamiya Tomcat interior colours

Not so easy this following the instructions lark. The instruction sheet says XF19 is the colour from the Tamiya range. According to IPMS Stockholm the Mr Colour equivalent is 311. I have 311 but it is a very pale grey FS36622. Surely this is too pale?

Tamiya XF19 is listed as being equivalent to 2 FS colours FS:36473 (36622). Now these are quite different so Im not sure why there are 2 references for 1 paint. The  FS:36473 looks more like a grey and is certainly darker and more grey than the 36622.

Done anyone know whether the XF19 is correct?

Colin