Grumman Gb Chat

TEMPESTMK5

7 hours ago, Jabba said:

I actually use a Red Sharpie pen.

I've read the Sharpie will bleed through covering paint. So, as long as you don't put any color over that, I think that's fine. 

Hi all I have one in the stash that may or may not be of interest here?If I get the go ahead for the pacific GB I will start on it as soon as the other is finished.That is if you will have me of course.....

Regards:

Shaun

IMG-20181106-063747.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

I've read the Sharpie will bleed through covering paint. So, as long as you don't put any color over that, I think that's fine. 

I use the pen when I have finished painting the doors, just before I fit them.

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Here's a description from http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_fighters/f14_4.html (the F-14A+ was redesignated F-14B)

So, exhausts, wing glove vanes, door near the gun port, antennas, and NACA inlets. The question is, which of these represented by HB?

I shall focus on those areas for any sprue shots I can find 

edit, found the shots, totally different sets of sprues in each boxing, so I either have to suck it up and buy the more expensive A boxing or buy the cheaper academy kit 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Eeny, meeny, miny, mo?

resized_d5901358-15cc-4e4d-8b5f-5abfe21d

Too many Grumanns, not enough time. 

19 hours ago, Pierpaolo said:

will someone make it in time before the end of the GB?

Not if Airfix's current pre-order record is anything to go by...….where's my Blenheim!!

On 11/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Hmm, not being familiar with the kits, is there differing plastic in the various boxings of the hobbyboss 1/72 tomcat? Can get the B boxing cheap, but want to build an A version with AM decals? 

Yes, the 3 different boxes have different plastic, it's not really possible to build an A from the B box as the TF30 engines are not included. The fairings for the engines are also different so even if you can find spare TF30 nozzles you can't use them on this kit.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:10 AM, Jabba said:

I actually use a Red Sharpie pen.

Same here, always used this technique with good success.

Regarding potential bleeding, the pens that will bleed are those using ink. There are on the market paint based markers, these do not bleed through paint and any error with these can be sorted by repainting. As some of these markers are available with pretty fine tips, they can have a lot of uses on our kits. One other use I found for them is defining the rims on wheels, they can do this pretty well.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:51 AM, Giorgio N said:

Yes, the 3 different boxes have different plastic, it's not really possible to build an A from the B box as the TF30 engines are not included. The fairings for the engines are also different so even if you can find spare TF30 nozzles you can't use them on this kit.

Thanks for the confirmation, I will continue play the waiting game, might get lucky and get a Hasegawa/fujimi for a reasonable price 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whats up at the moment but I can't get enthused to do any kits at the moment These loss of mojos for me are becoming quite regular. I still want to get on with the Avenger but the urge is not there. Maybe soon I will get going again.....

I am following some of the builds however and hope they will inspire me enough to get going.

Am I too late to sign up? I shouldn't really be daft enough to enter another GB with my track record of not finishing but I'm on a roll at the moment with my "Yellow Wings" Fever so am confident I can finish something before the deadline (and as it turns out my next planned build was going to be an Accurate Miniatures F3F anyway but have lots of other candidates too).

IMG_4522-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Duncan

Welcome aboard ..

Cheers

Patrice

Many thanks Patrice. I will make a start very soon once I have put the finishing touches to my current build, a Tamiya F2A-2 Buffalo.

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:01 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Can anyone point me i the direction of where I might find paint references for Iranian tomcats?

Here is a decal sheet that gives callouts for specific airframes.

http://www.printscale.org/product_564.html

On 23/11/2018 at 07:45, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Paul

Do not worry, you still have plenty of time before the end of this Gb to build a very nice Avenger ..

Cheers

Patrice

Thanks. But I'll be away all through February. However I feel the urge returning but may do a recently acquired Sword Avenger Guppy> I think it will be a bit quicker and will see how I feel after that and maybe go back to my original Haseg RNZAF choice.

Folks,

I have 4 schemes left over on the decal sheet from my Eduard (7078) GB entries. If anyone would like them for this GB, please drop a note below (first come first served) then PM me your address; I'll get them in the post soonest

Cheers

Nigel

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Thanks. But I'll be away all through February. However I feel the urge returning but may do a recently acquired Sword Avenger Guppy> I think it will be a bit quicker and will see how I feel after that and maybe go back to my original Haseg RNZAF choice.

Good evening Paul

I hope you will find time to build the Sword Guppy AND the Hasegawa Avenger before the end of this Gb ..

Cheers

Patrice