Grumman Gb Chat

TEMPESTMK5

from what I've been reading FS36231 is the colour to go for, though the colour does seen to change from manufacturer to manufacturer! 

Tamiya doesn't have the widest range of colours unfortunately so I think they may have just suggested one that matches the closest. 

• Thanks 1

Really Tamiya paints are of little use when dealing with modern US fighters. FS 36231 is the right colour and is available from many paint lines in both acrylic and enamel. If you like Tamiya colours, have a look at the Gunze range of acrylics, they are very similar to Tamiya to use and are IMHO of better quality... and have the correct FS 36231 paint in their range together with other colours used on the Tomcat

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the quick response. Gunze Mr Colour are the only paints I can get out here and they are becoming increasingly hard to find. 

There is a match for 36231 so I'll use that. 

Thanks again 

Colin 

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Missed this one, committing to builds, especially substantial ones isn’t so easy for me no, but I’d like to join if not with a tomcat, another eduard hellcat...

Good morning PBS

Welcome aboard there is plenty of room for another Tomcat or Hellcat or both ...

Cheers

Patrice

10 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning PBS

Welcome aboard there is plenty of room for another Tomcat or Hellcat or both ...

Cheers

Patrice

Think I will, also going to be working on something in the spirit of this GB, though can't be entered,. Watch this space, if I can pick up the kit cheap enough will be an iranian tomcat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi Patrice

I wasn't one of the original signatories to this GB, but I hope that I can be included as a late starter with this little Special Hobby F3F-2.

Cheers

44839274784_b9f9fbe57c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

Good evening John

Welcome aboard with this very interesting subject ..

Cheers

Patrice

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

Cruising on with the Tamiya Tomcat and just finished building the nose when I realised the 'gun' is just a hole in the nose.

Can anything be seen of the gun? Should there be a muzzle in there or is it OK as it is?

Its this type of thing that stops me from building from the box!

Colin

6 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Hi All,

Cruising on with the Tamiya Tomcat and just finished building the nose when I realised the 'gun' is just a hole in the nose.

Can anything be seen of the gun? Should there be a muzzle in there or is it OK as it is?

Its this type of thing that stops me from building from the box!

Colin

Tamiya provide the muzzle face for the cannon, part B11, which sits in the fuselage, just aft of the cannon opening.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chaps 

The US Navy is an unusual area for me but I note most of the undercarriage doors are edged in red. 

Does anyone know a fantastic technique for painting this? 

Use the side of a flat brush, maybe paint some plastic and dunk the doors before the paint dries?

Mask both sides of the doors before spraying ?

Suggestions gladly accepted..

Colin 

1 minute ago, Colin W said:

Hi Chaps 

The US Navy is an unusual area for me but I note most of the undercarriage doors are edged in red. 

Use the side of a flat brush, maybe paint some plastic and dunk the doors before the paint dries?

Colin 

Hi Colin,

Personally, I would spray the edges and them run some tape around them once dry so I could spray each side.

Good luck!! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Part of the issue is that the edge of the doors is very fine so masking is not really an option. 

I'll try a few ideas and see what works

Colin 

16 hours ago, Colin W said:

Hi Chaps 

Colin 

I actually use a Red Sharpie pen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hmm, not being familiar with the kits, is there differing plastic in the various boxings of the hobbyboss 1/72 tomcat? Can get the B boxing cheap, but want to build an A version with AM decals? 

Here's a description from http://www.joebaugher.com/navy_fighters/f14_4.html (the F-14A+ was redesignated F-14B)

Externally, the F-14A(Plus) can be distinguished from the F-14A by its larger engine exhaust nozzles, the deletion of the wing glove vanes, a modified door near the gun port, and the installation of the new AN/ALR-67 radar warning receiver with antennae below the wing glove area. A new Direct Lift Control/Approach Power Control system was installed, and the gun bay was redesigned, incorporating a gas purging system with NACA-type inlets replacing the original grilles. A fatigue/engine-monitoring system was added and AN/ARC-182 UHF/VHF radios are installed. The modernized and modified radar fire control system was redesignated AN/AWG-15F.

So, exhausts, wing glove vanes, door near the gun port, antennas, and NACA inlets. The question is, which of these represented by HB?