Eduard 1/48th Bf109-F4

1 minute ago, polo1112 said:

Beautifully done !

The "yellow 14" was Marseille's aircraft, I think.

You gave him justice.

Thank you, and yes it is Marseille's aircraft. The decal sheet contains three of his aircraft in the med, all F-4s so I think I'll be doing at least one more :)

The Eduard kit is beautiful, a real pleasure to build.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Cor - dead nice!!

Quick Quezzy  though - whats with the top wing crosses? ( not a criticism - just inquisitive as i assume there's a historical reason for them being like that on the real thing?)

Jonners

I think from what I remember reading a few years back its damage/scratches from rocks or similar from operating off of desert air strips???

Any seconders? 

Very nice, the first one I've seen completed in fact.

Jon, as Tony says the markings on this aircraft were damaged as seen in photos of it. This caused Eduard a little grief when the kit was first released as some people complained that the decals were damaged forcing Eduard to issue a statement to say they intended the decals to look like that, I guess Eagle Strike manufactured them like that too.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Fantastic looking F-4.  Really nice clean build and paintjob you have done there. I didn't know Eduard had produced this kit, the 109 is a favourite of mine so this is yet another kit I am adding to the ever growing list...   Thanks for posting                 Cheers, Dave

Thanks everyone :) appreciate your generous comments.

Yes, the decals for the upper wing crosses are supposed to be that way and they are based on a well know picture of the aircraft which clearly shows the damage to them. My pics don't really portray the weathering I've applied so I might try and do some more in better lighting.

The kit is a pleasure to build, although it's not without it's faults - the two outer flaps suffer from sink/shrinkage, as does the underneath of the outer wing section. The former is easily rectified but the later is more difficult to tackle. I chose to leave the later as it can't be seen from above :)

Same with those flaps ref sink marks on on all the recent g5/6 early/late releases and the 'large' 2014 first edition. 

Aires do a set of resin ones now to rectify this. 

Also on a side note in the january newsletter eduard are doing all control surfaces for their F4 in brassin. (Everything along rear edge of wings inc rad flaps, and then rudder and elevators)

Whether as an alternative to sink marks or add more detail (fabric?) to the surfaces i'm not sure we'll have to wait and see what they look like over the kit parts. 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Same with those flaps ref sink marks on on all the recent g5/6 early/late releases and the 'large' 2014 first edition. 

Aires do a set of resin ones now to rectify this. 

Also on a side note in the january newsletter eduard are doing all control surfaces for their F4 in brassin. (Everything along rear edge of wings inc rad flaps, and then rudder and elevators)

Whether as an alternative to sink marks or add more detail (fabric?) to the surfaces i'm not sure we'll have to wait and see what they look like over the kit parts. 

Yes, the sprues are common to the G so have the same flaws. TBH it's not a big job to fix them using Mr Surfacer and a rivet tool so I don't see what a Brassin set would add other than as you say,' better' fabric surfaces.