Northeast Viscounts

speedbird

Hi guys just a quick question hoping you chaps can clear up a bit of confusion.. I have the two six decals for the vickers viscount and I'm wanting to build one in the northeast airlines scheme. The decal instructions would have you paint the underside of the wings and tail plane yellow like the top of the fuselage but,  all the photos I've found show them as being grey like the lower fuselage. Does anyone know Whitch finish is right? 

Hello Speedbird

I've just checked some old slides.The "northeast" Viscounts certainly had Yellow applied on the undersides of the tailplanes and elevators whilst the upper and lower surfaces of the wings were light grey with bare metal leading edges that extended round the tips.

Kind regards

G

• Like 1

G-AOYL had yellow under the wings with metal leading edges when I saw it after painting at Rhoose. There is also a photo of G-AOYO on ebay at the moment that has yellow with metal L/E under the wings. Maybe some did and others didn't.

Edited by mikesmodels

I have now projected the slide previously mentioned onto a white wall and yes the undersides of the wings and flaps are  Yellow.Certainly, on this slide the paint appears quite dull compared to the tailplane undersides ,The airframe was G-AOYH photographed 9/72.Apologies for the confusion.

22 hours ago, speedbird said:

Ooooooo that looks nice.... where is that?

It's at the Sunderland air museum,the wing's and tail,engines etc are on site for a full restoration I believe.