1/72 markings for VFA-122 F/A-18F

neillydone

I'm looking to recreate a 1/72 VFA-122 F/A-18F based on the Revell Super Hornet (its a gift for my brother who was lucky enough to have a ride in one at Farnbrough Airshow in 2012), however since I cannot find any decals for this squadron (except the sold-out CoNA digital camo scheme) can anyone either recommend an alternative (e.g. suitable USN letters and numbers) or is home printing the only solution...?

Many thanks in advance,

Neil

MIcroscale/Superscale used to have sheets of USN letters and numbers in various greys but these may not be enough to sort all the markings. Home printing may be a solution, as on standard camo VFA-122 aircrafts all markings seem to be in dark grey. Better check how well the dark grey covers though, some printers get this kind of colour better than others when used on clear decal film. An alternative is to print the markings in black and then when applied overspray with a very thin grey coat, if done properly can give a good effect.

Masks can also be considered, although I'm not sure if they can give good results on such small markings.

Interestingly, Revell in the US issued a VFA-122 Super Hornet but was in 1/48 and was an E.

9 hours ago, neillydone said:

As I cannot find the hasegawa VFA 122 edition anyway (Hannants say it was not released in the UK) it looks like I'll be acquiring some decal paper and firing up the printer!

If you have any 1/72nd F/A-18F decals as an alternative, I could be persuaded to part with my Hase 00710 VFA-122 option.

Cheers,

Andre