RAF VC10 XR808

Warris

I'm wanting to build XR808 using one of the Roden Kits, as its a C1 which one would be the best to use having the minimum amount of fuss?

Also i'm looking at the RAM Models decals, these are for the Airfix kit I believe, will they fit ok onto the Roden kit?

Thanks

Al

C1 has a Standard length fuselage, so you would need to reduce the length to make a C1 from the Super (I think the portion to be removed is from ahead of the wing).

If you want to do 'Bob' in it's later guise, then the K3 kit would be the one to go for as it includes the underwing refuelling pods that they used (but leaving off the underfuselage unit) although I think that those are included in every kit.

The decals would obviously fit if you reduced the fuselage length

Edited by Dave Fleming

Al

To make a VC10 C1 from a K3/super 10 you will need to remove two sections of fuselage . The super VC10 had a plug put both in front and behind the wing. Also it will need the rear freight door scribing on the left hand rear fuselage under the stub wing. Because the C1 was a hybrid aircraft the fin /wings and engines are the same as the K3. As Dave said the centre line HDU fairing will also need removing. Hope this helps you.

jOHN

3 hours ago, Brizeman said:

Al

To make a VC10 C1 from a K3/super 10 you will need to remove two sections of fuselage . The super VC10 had a plug put both in front and behind the wing. Also it will need the rear freight door scribing on the left hand rear fuselage under the stub wing. Because the C1 was a hybrid aircraft the fin /wings and engines are the same as the K3. As Dave said the centre line HDU fairing will also need removing. Hope this helps you.

jOHN

Christ - far too much work!  Far easier to find an Airfix VC10 kit  

The easiest method would be to combine the Airfix fuselage with the Roden wings and engine/stubwings. All that would be required then is to make the APU exhaust in place of the tailcone as  civil VC10s  didn't have an APU, scribe the large cabin freight door on the left hand forward fuselage and fit a refuelling probe. The other method would be to obtain an AirfixVC10 and the required parts from Braz models who make the engines and wings for super VC10s.

John

Thanks John. I have the Airfix kit and don't have the funds to outlay on another kit, so wondered whether there is an article somewhere on how to correct the Airfix kit's inaccuracies.

cheers

Mike

Mike

It would be very difficult to turn the Airfix VC10 into a  RAF C1 without a good deal of work. Starting at the back the stub wings are wider and the engines are at a different angle to the fuselage on the C1. It also only has thrust reversers on the outboard engines. The wing is different as the C1 doesn't have the extension on its leading edge and also the wing fences are different. The other differences are that XR808 would have had the underwing refuelling pods fitted as well as having the camera blister under the belly of the aircraft and the refuelling lights in a fairing under the rear fuselage. The other differences I have already mentioned i.e refuelling probe and large cabin freight door. The Airfix kit isn't inaccurate ,just wrong for an RAF VC10 C1. The only mark of RAF VC10 that could be made from an Airfix kit is the K2 which is how Airfix  re-issued the kit back in the early eighties.

John