Hawker (Siddeley) GB Chat

Col.

On 07/02/2018 at 7:46 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

I would like to build the Typhoon Airfix kit in the markings of an airplane of the famous 609 squadron after Dday can anyone tell me where I can find photos I would be very grateful for the help ..

Best regards

Patrice

Been having a look through my Typhoon specific references (of which I don't have nearly enough) and while there's certainly profile artwork there's no photos :( Will keep looking through the more generic RAF books and let you know if I have any more joy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Been having a look through my Typhoon specific references (of which I don't have nearly enough) and while there's certainly profile artwork there's no photos :( Will keep looking through the more generic RAF books and let you know if I have any more joy.

Good morning Col

Thank I appreciate your help

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Hi Patrice,

Have you thought about building a Tempest Mk5? :D

Good morning Enzo

Of course I have

And I think that Im agoing to build at least another one

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 4

On 7/2/2018 at 7:57 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Of course, you already know my opinion...  :lol: 

Think I know what you're suggesting here...  :lol:

On 7/2/2018 at 2:03 PM, Col. said:

Be delighted if you are able to join us Giorgio. That's an interesting point you make about the Hawk sharing a similar fin shape with the Hunter. Not noticed it until now but suddenly becomes obvious :thumbsup:

The Hawk is not yet represented within our GB but I'll make no mention of the Hector...

The Hawk design came from what had previously been Hawker's design team at Kingston: the leader of the Hawk design team was Ralph Hooper, who had joined Hawker in 1946. He later had a very important part in the design of the Harrier, before being promoted to Chief Engineer and also becoming director of the company. No surprise that certain family features were visible in the final design of the Hawk.

If the Hawk is not represented yet then I'll choose this one, of course building the recent Revell kit. Will also be my chance to finally build this kit and see if it lives up to my expectations...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To the workbenches gentlemen! Our GB has officialy begun and there are models to be made :D 

4 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

Any room for a latecomer? I’ve got the urge to build a hurricane if there’s space for me to join this build...

Why of course. Always room for another participant at any time right up until the closing date and you are most welcome to join in with a Hurricane :) 

• Like 2

Had a quick count through the threads and here's the current state of play: most popular subject is the Harrier with 8 kits, followed jointly by the Hurricane and Typhoon at 6 kits each, then the Hunter for 4 kits. The Sea Fury and Tempest are both represented by 3 kits each then the Hawk twice. There's one example each of the HS.125, Hart, Sea Hawk, Fury, and Buccaneer. A great mix already and we're only getting started.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Had a quick count through the threads and here's the current state of play: most popular subject is the Harrier with 8 kits, followed jointly by the Hurricane and Typhoon at 6 kits each, then the Hunter for 4 kits. The Sea Fury and Tempest are both represented by 3 kits each then the Hawk twice. There's one example each of the HS.125, Hart, Sea Hawk, Fury, and Buccaneer. A great mix already and we're only getting started.

Keep a look out in the post for your Osprey :wicked:

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Keep a look out in the post for your Osprey :wicked:

I keep checking the threads for yours starting :whistle: Or are we doing a buddy build? Heard it said that misery loves company :lol:

Found a watched these this afternoon whilst working on the b52 (maybe I can get it done soonish and do the nimrod),  all on hawker products, only slight problem, I now want to start the academy tempest in the stash 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7wYuajpfck&t=1829s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EReAaYmJVAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZKojZtappY

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Found a watched these this afternoon whilst working on the b52 (maybe I can get it done soonish and do the nimrod),  all on hawker products, only slight problem, I now want to start the academy tempest in the stash 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7wYuajpfck&t=1829s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EReAaYmJVAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZKojZtappY

You're a bad man Stu! :lol: Now I want to build a Sea Fury and a SHAR and a Harrier GR.1 even more :wub: 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Col. said:

Had a quick count through the threads and here's the current state of play...

What, no Hoopoe?!  (Hmm, looks rather Furious... I wonder...)

I kept staring at Hurricane fuselages off and on today- had I realized sooner that it was the 10th, I might have done more than stare!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

What, no Hoopoe?!  (Hmm, looks rather Furious... I wonder...)

I kept staring at Hurricane fuselages off and on today- had I realized sooner that it was the 10th, I might have done more than stare!

No Hoopoe yet, perhaps nobody has a kit, although I did consider a Nimrod. Amongst all the other options scattered throughout the stash.

At least you've got so far as staring at Hurricane kit parts. I've been starting at Hurricane photos in books.

• Like 1

Well, I've been working on my still to be finished Dornier Do-24 and managed to prime the fuselage, wing and all small parts with Alclad's Black Primer. I may need more time than expected to finish this build, as I want to use some seaplane weathering techniques I've been reading about (I bought several products for that). I also spent some time looking at period pictures of Luftwaffe Do-24s, to see how they weathered.

When I have this build finished I'll resume my Harrier GR.3 entry. The good news is I already have the Freightdog correct tail fin and the CMK engine and nozzles set.

This weekend I also ordered a few bits for my Typhoon and Tempest builds:

- Master cannons for both builds

- Correct tail plane for a late Typhoon

- PE flap set for the Typhoon (it's for the Airfix kit but I hope it can be used with the Academy kit I'm building)

- Resin exterior set for the Tempest, with flaps and other control surfaces, as well as wheel wells

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Had a good look through the stash and wasn't in the slightest surprised about how many potential subjects existed in there. Everything from a Hart and Demon, several Fury and Hurricane, Typhoon and Sea Fury (although no Tempest :( ) then into the jet age with a Sea Hawk and many Hunter and Harrier kits, a Nimrod and a selection of Buccaneer then a plethora of Sea Harrier. At the moment there's a Hasegawa 48th scale Hurricane IIb which hasn't been put away again but it sits close the a Hobbycraft Sea Fury and an Italeri SHAR. Choices :unsure:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Col. said:

Had a good look through the stash and wasn't in the slightest surprised about how many potential subjects existed in there. Everything from a Hart and Demon, several Fury and Hurricane, Typhoon and Sea Fury (although no Tempest :( ) then into the jet age with a Sea Hawk and many Hunter and Harrier kits, a Nimrod and a selection of Buccaneer then a plethora of Sea Harrier. At the moment there's a Hasegawa 48th scale Hurricane IIb which hasn't been put away again but it sits close the a Hobbycraft Sea Fury and an Italeri SHAR. Choices :unsure:

Good choices, I may also add a Harrier if I can finish the Sea Fury in time.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, I just squeaked my two builds for the Matchbox GB under the time limit and have a bucketful of Hurricanes to get built. I'd like to start with my wife's great-uncle's aeroplane... or at least something which will hopefully be as close as educated guesswork allows.

A full bio can be found here so what I've got to do is interpret what V7799 would have looked like in March 1941 and then build it using the Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I Trop (new tool). Both Pilot Officer Southwell and his aeroplane were from 274 Sqn in Egypt and dispatched to reinforce 261 Sqn at the height of the first Luftwaffe assault on the Island. My feeling is a pretty secondhand looking Temperate Land Scheme with Vokes, I'm not sure if there would have been time or will enough to overpaint Sky with Sky Blue on the undersides, as was generally preferred in Malta, given the gravity of the situation at that time.

All thoughts welcome!

Many thanks, MD

• Like 2

I'll have a dig through the stash and find a kit or two so I can join in, I'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms from the closing of the Matchbox GB!

Whatever I use, it's going to be an old style build. 

Tony.

• Like 2