Hawker (Siddeley) GB Chat

Col.

26 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

If you are building a Spanish AV-8 then definitely yes as they were built in the UK, not sure if all the USMC AV-8's were built in America or even if this matters to @Col., it's his GB so he has the deciding vote.

Sorry, should have clarified and yes, was going to build a Spanish Matador!

Hope that's ok ? @Col. 

• Like 2

I'm not @Col. but all the First Generation Harriers were built in the UK. The USMC only got the money in yearly bites so never set-up a production line in the US. McDD were the partners in the contract for legal reasons and for supplying parts etc. Of course that all changed with the second generation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I'm not @Col. but all the First Generation Harriers were built in the UK. The USMC only got the money in yearly bites so never set-up a production line in the US. McDD were the partners in the contract for legal reasons and for supplying parts etc. Of course that all changed with the second generation. 

Exactly what I thought but was not 100% sure.

Better start my Harrier thread then!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Just wondering are built-under-license allowed e.g.

40112968401_18e7ecd74e_b.jpgEsci_AV8A_Harrier_Box_Art by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

If so, count me in!

Cheers,

Dermot

As the AV8-A and -S were Kingston built machines then they are good for this GB :thumbsup:

Further to this it'll be worth mentioning that license-built machines are also eligible for the GB. So Canadian-built Hurricanes, Belgian-built Hunters, Finnish-built Hawks etc. are all good :) 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3

Col. I have my hands full maybe until mid April. Then I'll get my hands on a pair of Finnish Hurricanes. One will be built here and the other one in, eh you know, the British in foreign colours or something- GB. I plan to do one in RAF DG/DE camouflage and the other one in Finnish green/black/blue Warpaint. Ok with you? V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Col. I have my hands full maybe until mid April. Then I'll get my hands on a pair of Finnish Hurricanes. One will be built here and the other one in, eh you know, the British in foreign colours or something- GB. I plan to do one in RAF DG/DE camouflage and the other one in Finnish green/black/blue Warpaint. Ok with you? V-P

Yes of course V-P. Be delighted to have you and one of your Hurricanes in this GB :thumbsup: 

39 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

My Sea Fury arrived today!  :yahoo:    I'm overwhelmed by all the Airfixy goodness!   :bounce:  :frantic:

Ooh nice :wub:  Hopefully no short-shots or flaws? If the rumours of no second batch being produced are true I doubt one will reach my stash :(

5 minutes ago, shatters said:

If I can find how to post pictures from my phone can l play too please? 

Phil

Yes of course you can Phil. For posting photos to the forum you need to use a hosting site such as Flickr rather than directly, take a look in the FAQs section for more information and a few guides ;) 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/15-faqs/ 

• Thanks 1

Getting the Flickr app with my Android phone turned posting pics from nightmare to dream. Mostly. My phone just has a lousy camera. But it's just a minute or two from taking a pic to having it posted here. Highly recommended 👍.

42 minutes ago, Col. said:

Yes of course you can Phil. For posting photos to the forum you need to use a hosting site such as Flickr rather than directly, take a look in the FAQs section for more information and a few guides ;) 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/15-faqs/ 

Woo hoo I think I've got it!!!

resized_c5c6323c-2529-41a8-bdf7-879ccf12

Thanks col

Phil

Edited by shatters
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

My Sea Fury arrived today!  :yahoo:   

56 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hopefully no short-shots or flaws? If the rumours of no second batch being produced are true I doubt one will reach my stash :(

There is a very tiny short shot flaw on the leading edge of the fin. It is about 2mm by 1mm and is so regular and rectangular that I initially thought it was a ciutout for a transparency.  I reckon it will take me about 30 seconds to fix.

No second batch???   I hope that's not so.  But even if it is, there will be a new boxing released this year.  I'm hoping to build Canadian and Australian ones for the Brits Abroad GB.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Joining you a bit later with a Novo Hurricane IIc.

I do have an Airfix Buccaneer S1, but the box says Blackburn Buccaneer - and I think that would be pushing the spirit of the GB a bit too far. 

Both the Hurricane and Buccaneer are fine for this GB :) 

Greetings from Oz..

The Wikipedia link to Hawker Siddeley makes for some interesting reading and I had no idea that the actual name dates back to 1935?

I tend to agree that building a pure 'Hawker' (think Sidney Camm designed) aircraft is probably the true intent of this GB, however am very happy that its been expanded to include aircraft that bore the H.S desigination during their service or experimental life spans.

Now I've just got to get through the current Matchbox II GB before I commit to starting here. Ironically and purely by accident I chose to build two classic Hawker Aircraft - the Hunter T.7 & Tempest F.6. Having a large-ish stash of models I seem to possess quite a few Hawker & H.S aircraft, so I'll choose what to build within a week or so.

There's a good chance it'll be more than one.

Cheers and looking forward to another fun GB... Dave        

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biglad82 said:

Hi. Been a while since my last model...if I'm not to late is it ok to join in?

Mark

By all means please do join us Mark. Any thoughts on which type you'd like to build?

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Greetings from Oz..

The Wikipedia link to Hawker Siddeley makes for some interesting reading and I had no idea that the actual name dates back to 1935?

I tend to agree that building a pure 'Hawker' (think Sidney Camm designed) aircraft is probably the true intent of this GB, however am very happy that its been expanded to include aircraft that bore the H.S desgination during their service or experimental life spans.

Now I've just got to get through the current Matchbox II GB before I commit to starting here. Ironically and purely by accident I chose to build two classic Hawker Aircraft - the Hunter T.7 & Tempest F.6. Having a large-ish stash of models I seem to possess quite a few Hawker & H.S aircraft, so I'll choose what to build within a week or so.

There's a good chance it'll be more than one.

Cheers and looking forward to another fun GB... Dave        

Greetings from Scotland Dave.

While my initial thoughts were for a Hawker GB due to my love of Camm's designs I quickly expanded it to cover both Hawker and Hawker Siddeley designed, built, and marketed machines. In my mind that gave us a great variety of aircraft covering a huge chunk of British aviation history (as well as most of my favourites ;) ) although I'd certainly not criticise anyone who wishes to go with a 'pure' Hawker/Camm choice. So long as we all enjoy ourselves and have fun :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose while still undecided what I'll go with myself.

• Like 2

Good morning

I would like to build the Typhoon Airfix kit in the markings of an airplane of the famous 609 squadron after Dday can anyone tell me where I can find photos I would be very grateful for the help ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

I would like to build the Typhoon Airfix kit in the markings of an airplane of the famous 609 squadron after Dday can anyone tell me where I can find photos I would be very grateful for the help ..

Best regards

Patrice

I'll have a dig through my references...

3 minutes ago, masterqq said:

Hi,

Would Harrier GR3 or SHAR be allowed in this GB, please advice..

Both the GR.3 and SHAR are not only allowed but positively encouraged in this GB! :D

14 minutes ago, Col. said:

I'll have a dig through my references...

Both the GR.3 and SHAR are not only allowed but positively encouraged in this GB! :D

Good morning Col

Thank you for your help

Patrice

• Like 1

I'm seriously considering joining this GB if I can find the time to build something

No lack of subjects in the stash of course ! Should I go for a quick and easy build I may build the Airfix Hurricane or Typhoon. A bit more involved would be building either the Heller or Matchbox Tempest. A bit more involved would be the Revell Hunter, not because of the kit but because of the colour scheme of the subject I'd like to build. Then there would be the new Revell Hawk, that would be a nice way to represent what IMHO was the last "proper" Hawker design (just look at the fin with its "hunteresque" shape). Should I go mad I could build a Hector, but I don't know if an Amodel biplane is something I'm ready to build yet..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shatters said:

Ok then, seeing that this will be my first GB and I've only just sussed out how to post images, I think these 4 will be my entry to the the group -

resized_0474f145-f071-42f5-b3fa-5a5ad311

No pressure there then.

Phil

Nice collection!

3 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Is it too late to join this group build?

No not at all. The action doesn't officially start until Saturday so plenty time to pick a subject.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm seriously considering joining this GB if I can find the time to build something

No lack of subjects in the stash of course ! Should I go for a quick and easy build I may build the Airfix Hurricane or Typhoon. A bit more involved would be building either the Heller or Matchbox Tempest. A bit more involved would be the Revell Hunter, not because of the kit but because of the colour scheme of the subject I'd like to build. Then there would be the new Revell Hawk, that would be a nice way to represent what IMHO was the last "proper" Hawker design (just look at the fin with its "hunteresque" shape). Should I go mad I could build a Hector, but I don't know if an Amodel biplane is something I'm ready to build yet..

Be delighted if you are able to join us Giorgio. That's an interesting point you make about the Hawk sharing a similar fin shape with the Hunter. Not noticed it until now but suddenly becomes obvious :thumbsup:

The Hawk is not yet represented within our GB but I'll make no mention of the Hector...

Edited by Col.