Hawker (Siddeley) GB Chat

Col.

6 hours ago, Col. said:

By all means please do join us Mark. Any thoughts on which type you'd like to build?

Greetings from Scotland Dave.

While my initial thoughts were for a Hawker GB due to my love of Camm's designs I quickly expanded it to cover both Hawker and Hawker Siddeley designed, built, and marketed machines. In my mind that gave us a great variety of aircraft covering a huge chunk of British aviation history (as well as most of my favourites ;) ) although I'd certainly not criticise anyone who wishes to go with a 'pure' Hawker/Camm choice. So long as we all enjoy ourselves and have fun :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose while still undecided what I'll go with myself.

Thanks Col. As I say been out of the loop for a couple of years so trying to find a relatively good quality kit.. I hear the newer Airfix Gr1 & 3 are probably the better of the 1/72 kits, this correct??

But then also fancied either the FRS or FR2. An HS.125 was top of the list but their £££££ means that ain'  gonna happen. 😲

Edited by Biglad82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biglad82 said:

Thanks Col. As I say been out of the loop for a couple of years so trying to find a relatively good quality kit.. I hear the newer Airfix Gr1 & 3 are probably the better of the 1/72 kits, this correct??

But then also fancied either the FRS or FR2. An HS.125 was top of the list but their £££££ means that ain'  gonna happen. 😲

The new Airfix GR.1 & 3 are lovely kits although the 3 has a minor error in fin height. Their FRS.1 and F/A.2, on the other hand, are not anywhere near as good so look for an Italeri kit if you can. If you are looking for an Airfix HS.125 at a sensible price I may be able to help...

8 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

Thanks for the add to the group build. Will have decide on a subject now. I have, much like many others, an Airfix Sea Fury in the post so will choose something different! 

The Sea Fury is certainly proving a popular choice so far. What else have you got in the stash?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Col. said:

The new Airfix GR.1 & 3 are lovely kits although the 3 has a minor error in fin height. Their FRS.1 and F/A.2, on the other hand, are not anywhere near as good so look for an Italeri kit if you can. If you are looking for an Airfix HS.125 at a sensible price I may be able to help..

Thanks col. maybe a Gr1 & Gr3 for me then. Fin height wont lose sleep over that issue m8 😉

Interested to hear more about the 125

Cheers

Edited by Biglad82
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, shatters said:

I think these 4 will be my entry to the the group

It's like looking in a mirror!!!  :D   

Four Harriers in one go will be excellent. :popcorn:    Two t-birds among them will be even better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Threadbear said:

I have, much like many others, an Airfix Sea Fury in the post so will choose something different! 

Just because others are building one doesn't mean that you shouldn't.   But...   how about a Sea Fury and something different? :wicked:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

No lack of subjects in the stash of course ! Should I go for a quick and easy build I may build the Airfix Hurricane or Typhoon. A bit more involved would be building either the Heller or Matchbox Tempest. A bit more involved would be the Revell Hunter, not because of the kit but because of the colour scheme of the subject I'd like to build. Then there would be the new Revell Hawk, that would be a nice way to represent what IMHO was the last "proper" Hawker design (just look at the fin with its "hunteresque" shape). Should I go mad I could build a Hector, but I don't know if an Amodel biplane is something I'm ready to build yet..

Of course, you already know my opinion...  :lol: 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's like looking in a mirror!!!  :D   

Four Harriers in one go will be excellent. :popcorn:    Two t-birds among them will be even better.

Having looked in the t-birds boxes I think I've bit off a bit more than I can chew, but in for a penny and in for a pound 

Edited by shatters
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biglad82 said:

Would it be beyond the rules if I was to finish a GR3 in winter camo scheme with the OOB decals. Cant afford buying a dedicated set just to get it authentic..

Mark

As a rule uk based harrier squadrons(1 and 233 OCU ) were deployed to Norway to cover NATO'S northern flank. The airfix gr3 carries markings for a 1 sqn aircraft during the Falklands conflict, all you would need is some 1 sqn nose markings, drop me a pm and I'll send you some.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, shatters said:

As a rule uk based harrier squadrons(1 and 233 OCU ) were deployed to Norway to cover NATO'S northern flank. The airfix gr3 carries markings for a 1 sqn aircraft during the Falklands conflict, all you would need is some 1 sqn nose markings, drop me a pm and I'll send you some.

Phil

Outstanding sir. Thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shatters said:

Having looked in the t-birds boxes I think I've bit off a bit more than I can chew, but in for a penny and in for a pound 

The Sword kit certainly requires a bit more work than the Airfix ones. Perhaps major on the two GRs and take on one T-bird to test its progress potential?

3 hours ago, Biglad82 said:

Would it be beyond the rules if I was to finish a GR3 in winter camo scheme with the OOB decals. Cant afford buying a dedicated set just to get it authentic..

Mark

Was about to say one of us can help you there...

3 hours ago, shatters said:

Phil

...but Phil has stepped up before I could draw breath :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2018 at 9:02 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Anyone brave / bonkers enough to try one of these ?

IMG_3765

IMG_3766

I have a couple in the stash but........ Do Britmodeller award medals ?  :door:

Cheers Pat 

That looks NOTHING like a replica :penguin:, but does bear a slight resemblance to an 'Awker Osprey.

Build it Pat. I dares ya.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Just because others are building one doesn't mean that you shouldn't.   But...   how about a Sea Fury and something different? :wicked:

Well possibly. I am considering a Hurricane or Typhoon as I have good quality decals for both.....however I have neither kit! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Well possibly. I am considering a Hurricane or Typhoon as I have good quality decals for both.....however I have neither kit! 

Are you looking for 48th or 72nd scale kits of them?

Hi Col, 

I have remembered that I have a 1/48 Monogram Hawker Typhoon 1B up in the loft, so I may retrieve it and add it to the list, It seems the 'Tiffy' is a popular subject.

Cheers, M.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Hi Col, 

I have remembered that I have a 1/48 Monogram Hawker Typhoon 1B up in the loft, so I may retrieve it and add it to the list, It seems the 'Tiffy' is a popular subject.

Cheers, M.

Sounds a good plan Mark :) I thought the Hurricane would be the most popular option but it seems I was mistaken. Not that I'm disappointed of course.

11 minutes ago, CamberrySauce said:

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I need to be on the list on the first page to enter the group build? (I'm not sure as this is my first group build).

-Cam

Cam, 

If I'm correct (which is not that often) the answer to your question is No. 

I'm sure Col will be on shortly to confirm that, however the initial names are recorded to obtain the minimum number of modellers that will hopefully push this GB idea into the mix of potential GB's eligible for voting. Still confused? - after re-reading that, so am I!!  

From what I read a STGB (Single Type Group Build) requires a minimum of 25 BM members to endorse this idea into the round of potential GB's for the next year. I believe themed GB (like this Hawkers one) require 30 names. Those GB ideas that make it past the minimum number then go into a poll for final voting. Enzo gnashes all these votes together and the GB ideas with the most votes are scheduled into approx. 3 months (STGB) or 4 months (Themed GB's) block dates. The GB hosts are usually always happy to accept new entries before and during the GB 'open' period.   

The soon closing Matchbox II GB was also my first tentative entry into Britmodeller Group Building, however I have to say that it's been so much fun, full of encouragement and at the end of it all I have two models built that would have probably still been pieces of shiny coloured plastic.

Cheers and I hope this helps.. Dave  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CamberrySauce said:

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I need to be on the list on the first page to enter the group build? (I'm not sure as this is my first group build).

-Cam

A very comprehensive answer by Dave into the ins and outs of Group Builds and polls here on BM.

As he said, No you don't have to be on the 'interested list' for the GB. You can join any GB at any time during it without moderator permission. Just adhere to any specific rules as per content or percentage completion if entering with a started kit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CamberrySauce said:

Hi all,

-Cam

Feel free to join the party any time you want Cam. The door is open and there isn't a guest list. Bring your own model :) 

As Rabbit Leader and Romeo Alpha Yankee have said (thank you lads) we are a pretty inclusive welcoming bunch with only a few basic rules. Pick a kit that's relevent to the theme, start a thread where you show us your progress and we can all chat away about it, or indeed any other random stuff that momentarily diverts our attention 'cause we're like that around here, then get a few beauty pics of your lovely model up in the gallery once done for us all to admire. Oh, most important requirement of all, Have Fun!

Edited by Col.
  • Like 2