Junkers Ju 87 Stuka STGB Chat

Basilisk

49 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Glad I can oblige with a Bulgarian Stuka. 

Are all bases covered then within this GB? Germany, condor legion, Italy, Bulgaria and Romania, Hungary right through to @Basilisk and the very last ever Stuka in Yugoslavia? Did I see a Finnish Stuka or was that a dream?

Can I still join? I have an Italeri 1:48 Ju 87 with Italian markings which I've been trying to find an excuse to build. Mainly because it has PE parts which could have been done in plastic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Can I still join? I have an Italeri 1:48 Ju 87 with Italian markings which I've been trying to find an excuse to build. Mainly because it has PE parts which could have been done in plastic.

Sure can. Everyone can join, just start a WIP post hand have fun building your Stuka.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

We have 25 build threads already and some are multibuilds.  Popular GB! :thumbsup:

Indeed not a bad outcome - and it does show that STGBs don't need to be the same popular types over and over :winkgrin:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

For anyone interested in doing the early Stuka's. The Yahn models panel is coloured RLM02. The one I bought it YMZ4856 Ju 87 B-1. The colour is a bit dark, but it is closer than the Eduard ones which are RLM66. 

• Like 1

Question for Hosts, I am contemplating a dual build and interested in the STGB rules. I developed quite an interest in the Bulgarian D-5's While researching my Bulgarian R-2 build. Lo and Behold the LHS had the 1/48 Italeri D-5 on the shelf. I had to buy it. I plan to build both side-by-side. I think I am correct that I can have multiple builds in the one thread but in the end can only choose one for the gallery. Please confirm if my understanding is correct. I'd prefer a single thread to running two separate threads. I would change the topic title to be more fitting of the dual build.

Edited by Ray_W
typo

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I plan to build both side-by-side. I think I am correct that I can have multiple builds in the one thread but in the end can only choose one for the gallery. Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

No usually as long as both builds are less than 25% complete when started they are both eligible for the gallery.  The group build host @Basilisk can confirm though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No usually as long as both builds are less than 25% complete when started they are both eligible for the gallery.  The group build host @Basilisk can confirm though. 

Thanks for the reply. Hope so. If not then also not a problem. Both kits have no work other than fuselage, wings and canopies off the sprue while I sit here and play with kit comparisons as you can see. Checking where difference in fuselage length on the Italeri D-5 comes from.

20200117_214622

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I think I am correct that I can have multiple builds in the one thread but in the end can only choose one for the gallery. Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

That's incorrect.  If the build is eligible for the GB, then it's eligible for the gallery. :thumbsup:   Doesn't matter how many you have in a build thread.   I'm pleased about that.  :D  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray_W said:

Both kits have no work other than fuselage, wings and canopies off the sprue while I sit here and play with kit comparisons as you can see.

Plastic fondlage doesn't count as building.  If it did, very few items in The Stash would be eligible...  :D 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Question for Hosts, I am contemplating a dual build and interested in the STGB rules. I developed quite an interest in the Bulgarian D-5's While researching my Bulgarian R-2 build. Lo and Behold the LHS had the 1/48 Italeri D-5 on the shelf. I had to buy it. I plan to build both side-by-side. I think I am correct that I can have multiple builds in the one thread but in the end can only choose one for the gallery. Please confirm if my understanding is correct. I'd prefer a single thread to running two separate threads. I would change the topic title to be more fitting of the dual build.

Sure you can have both in a single thread - you could even ad a third and a fourth if you like :winkgrin: And you can also have both in one gallery entry if you prefer this instead of two individual entries.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter. All's clear - "chocks away!". I think sticking with two is enough. Now the big question is will I be able to finish the two in the allocated time? 

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been discussed already, and I missed it.

1. Generally speaking, what would be a good colour for the Stuka interior? (RAL or Humbrol equivalent)
  2. How to tackle the wheel hubs? My kit instructions call for underside blue, but I would think black more likely?

Thanks in advance for indulging me :)

• Like 1

Hello Quick question on Junkers in general. Interior colors in 1936-37 for the bombers particularly the Ju.86, 87, & 88 ? Was it RLM02 with RLM66 instrument panel ? Or was it RLM66 in visible areas to prevent dazzle/glare. Was the whole interior painted ? Or was it aluminum or silver lacquer ? Im getting ready to start my Ju.86 in the “They also serve” build. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Great to see that a whole swag of new WIPs happened over the weekend. Also good to see that we have now all major scales covered :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Smudge said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already, and I missed it.

1. Generally speaking, what would be a good colour for the Stuka interior? (RAL or Humbrol equivalent)
  2. How to tackle the wheel hubs? My kit instructions call for underside blue, but I would think black more likely?

Thanks in advance for indulging me :)

It all depends. RLM 02 for aircraft built before mid to late 1940 (which are most A/B/R) and RLM 66 after that time period.

On all the pictures I have seen, the wheel hub look very dark. I would say RLM 66 or black.

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Quick question on Junkers in general. Interior colors in 1936-37 for the bombers particularly the Ju.86, 87, & 88 ? Was it RLM02 with RLM66 instrument panel ? Or was it RLM66 in visible areas to prevent dazzle/glare. Was the whole interior painted ? Or was it aluminum or silver lacquer ? Im getting ready to start my Ju.86 in the “They also serve” build. 

Dennis

In regards to the Ju 87 it was RLM 02 with RLM 02 instrument panels for aircraft built before mid to late 1940. After that RLM 66. Of course exceptions are the norm as cockpit may got repainted or parts are replaced.

spacer.png

As far as I know, some bombers had cockpit painted in RLM 66 earlier as was discovered on a wreck in Norway. Don't know anything about Ju 86 but very little can be seen of the cockpit in the finished model anyway.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 2

Here's one I prepared earlier...........

49411028023_9a1f6ebf9e_b.jpg

and another............

49411028063_b225472c8f_b.jpg

and another.............. I didn't realise that at the end of this Group Build (assuming I fix up two derelicts I will mention later) I will have a Schwarm (two Kettes of 3 of Stukas!

49411028233_6fa6f22c28_b.jpg

• Like 6

What am I?

When searching for my previous Stuka builds (see above) I came across this 1/72 one. I didn't build it and I don't know where it came from.

Thus I don't know its age or provenance. It is a Ju87D-5 which narrows it down a bit.

Can anybody (1) identify the kit make and the particular boxing (2) confirm or deny that the scheme is real-life and not a What-if?

49411028113_d47b88d84d_b.jpg

Can we talk about Stuka rivets. Everything I've seen shows nice flush riveting. Maybe there are some somewhere but I think the usual comment that the Stuka is covered in a mass of protruding rivets is a modelling myth. I know the D/G were flush rivetted. I thought maybe the B's were not and the D was flush rivetted as an improvement in aerodynamic performance. No, seems the same. Any counter evidence?

Edited by Ray_W
missing word
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Can we talk about Stuka rivets. Everything I've seen shows nice flush riveting.

I agree, the old Airfix kit that did a reasonable impersonation of the Forth rail bridge is a fallacy.  I looked at lots of photos of Stukas checking for differences between B-1s and B-2s and the wings and fuselages all look smooth and raised head rivet free.  Close ups of weapon loading onto the wing pylons show the panel fasteners have slots in them, so not rivets.

• Like 1

@Retired Bob

Wow Bob that reply was quick!

Flush rivets will give me some work though. These days I like subtle riveting and was thinking seriously of redoing the rivet representation on my dual build Airifx and Italeri. if they were raised heads then I would not touch them but, flush …. 🤔 .... that dual wheel Rosie the Riveter will do a nice job on those dual rivet bands across the Stuka wings. Fill, sand, undercoat, rivet, lightly sand ... tempting.

Edited by Ray_W