1/72 F-14A Tomcat... Which one is the more accurate one?

Jacarre

3 minutes ago, Shalako said:

How about kit-bashing the old-tool Hasegawa nose radome to an old-tool Academy Tomcat? Or, using it to correct the old-tool Academy nose radome?

I'm tempted to buy one of the old-tool Academy Tomcats! As for the new one... for now I can't afford it.

Too much work and/or hassle and no guarantees it would actually work. 

Save a bit longer and get the new one. If you can find one that is... all sold out everywhere it seems. 

50 minutes ago, Shalako said:

@Tony: There must be one somewhere "hidden" just for me. My instinct says so!!!😁

Not sure if it helps or your interested, I just checked Sprue brothers here in the states. They have the new ones in stock ? 

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/aca12563.htm

As I have the project to assemble 100 F-14´s in the 1/144 scale, the 1/72 will be for later.

I have the new Academy, the old one, the two types of Hasegawa, some Fujimi, Revell, Italeri and Hobbyboss. Boxed kits.... Fine molds and GWH are missing. And two matchboxes ready.

20200627-160940.jpg

A lot must be taken into account before purchasing a kit: price, model and modeler level, "what do you intend to do?" and others. I don't build models to participate in contests, I don't count rivets, building for me is fun. However, I have been collecting information, reading articles, views, reviews, watching video compilations and have my own considerations and predilections. About kits for F-14 Tomcat 1/72: the new Academy, Fine and GWH models are technologically studied and planned, with a great fit and parts suitable for versions A, B or D, at the customer's choice, except for decals. Fujimi and Hasegawa are equivalent in fit and number of pieces ... the first brings the missiles, the other has PE, but both have decals with excess film and they are one step behind the new kits. Those of other companies ... as was said before, on the shelf, everyone is beautiful Tomcats.

Since the question was about shape and dimensions, perhaps this article will help more than my words.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/305514-gwh-172-f-14d-tomcat/

And at the end, I will have at least one from each company in my cabinets.

Edited by danieltomcat
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 11:15 PM, dalea said:

I have got in the stash an old tool Hasegawa  (released 1987) F-14A. What's wrong with it?

I build (black fin, yellow star on fin?) old-Hasegawa for sale long time ago ( early 1990, maybe in 1992-1993, don't remember) also I have own new-Hasegawa F-14A Pacific NAVY Tomcat. When I compared Old & New Hasegawa, it seemed to me that the old Hasegawa is shorter than the new one.  The missing length was lost at the old Hasegawa where the nose part under canopy and center section fit together.

But almost 30 years have passed since that moment, so I could be wrong.

I remember that I re-scribed panel line  on the old Hasegawa, and copied the cocpit and  wheel bays interior

from the my  new Hasegawa in epoxy and put them in the old Hasegawa.

On photo :

20200706-234742.jpg

a  unique dental rubber mold copying the cockpit of the new Hasegawa into which I cast the epoxy, next to the part from the old Hasegawa which was replaced by an epoxy copy with a new one.

All that I have left of that building old Hasegawa F-14.

About

New Hasegawa F-14,  It has narrow air intakes in comparison with modern models.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I'm looking to build one of the prototype F-14s, using the Caracal Models decal sheet (72106) - which I've not yet purchased.

Which is the best kit to go with? The newer Hasegawa mould sounds good from this discussion, but is there a better contender for what I'm after?

If I was to go with the newer Hasegawa kit, there is a bewildering array of releases, and knowing Hasegawa they'll substitute various sprues to give a specific variant. Which one(s) would be the best starting point for a prototype airframe? I realise there are probably configuration changes between the prototypes themselves, let alone the production variants. The artwork on the decal instructions shows different fuselage spines for a start... I'll be happy with any of the versions available on the sheet though.

Any guidance will be appreciated!

Mike 

For a prototype you need the early type beaver tail, that was included in the original "Wolfpack" box. I don't think other boxes included this part and it may be difficult to find this box.

There are alternatives today, for example the GWH kit that includes this part in all their F-14A kits. Not cheap but a very good kit.

Another alternative is the newest Academy kit, for which someone is making a resin part for the older beaver tail... see the thread in the rumormonger section.

Of course the prototypes need other modifications and some are not small! Which one do you intend to build?

Edited by Giorgio N

I genuinely don't mind which one, the orange on the tails looks great and there's a few options for that on the sheet. I really like the look of the F-14 (I'm probably in a sizeable majority there!) and I can 'justify' getting one if I add it to my R&D / prototypes collection. I don't mind doing a few mods but the easier option the better :) 

The easiest to build would be the last three in the list, as they featured the production style of dorsal fences. The others had a different design, with larger fences. This also involved a different design of the covers over the wings.

Originally the gun fairing was also different, some of these 3 received the final fairing but may have been after having worn these markings. The early gun fairing is not difficult to scratchbuild though

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

The Matchbox kit is the closest to the mockup, but it does have the original style wing sealing plates of the first Tomcats:

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-wingsweep.htm

Cheers,

Andre

The Matchbox kit is a weird mix of prototype and production aircraft, having the prototype plates and fences and the production gun fairing and vents. Being a Matchbox kit it is simplified and with very little detail. The dorsal area is also on the narrow side, I considered using the upper fuselage parts on a better kit but it's not easy. In the end it's easier to build the prototype plates and fences using plasticard.

The Monogram kit is a proper representation of the wooden mockup, including features that were not carried over to the prototypes. It' quite easy to find bu I can't see any reason for buying one apart from curiosity or completing a Tomcat kit collection

• Like 1

By the way, here's a cautionary story regarding 1/72 scale F-14s. Several years ago I bought a Fujimi F-14 from one of those 'under the table' boxes at a model show. The box was Fujimi F-14, on the vendor's price list it said Fujimi F-14 so I tookt it home and stashed it in the loft. During lockdown, I pulled it out of the loft with a view to making it. I opened the box to find inside not a Fujimi F-14 but what appears to be an Italeri F-14. I'm surprised the whole of my town didn't hear my comments on it. Next time I will open the box first at the show before parting with cash, and should I ever find the vendor I'd like to discuss his parentage.

Hi folks, 

being a big cat enthusiast, i bought the latest Academy, really very nice, very good quality / price 3 gun fairings, different main rims, only the first types beaver tail is missing, but after market Wolfpack design, it produces it. at the moment I think it's the best, has anyone looking for it tried it at Martola? Shalaho, I am just building one of the first Academy, it is very basic, something less in the nose, but once assembled and painted in DOH it is not noticeable and can pass, then given the price ..... you can not to pretend!!! Some work is needed on the tub, the canopy hinge, wheels and seats to replace.

Linus

11 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

the way you say it’s a cautionary tale like you expect there to be more bad fujimi kits out there? 

No, I'll just be wary of any second hand kit to check the contents match the box.