CH-46 / KV-107 STGB Chat

modelling minion

On 01/03/2019 at 05:26, Antoine said:

46_dri10.jpg

flying10.jpg

bonnie10.jpg

Thinking of getting one of these. Would anyone recommend one in particular?

I've read Low Level Hell, Snake Pilot and Chickenhawk among others, and quite enjoyed them. Looking for something similar.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay "team Sea Knight" we now have only one month left for you to finish (or start in some cases!) your builds. Now we may not have been the best supported of STGB's but we have a selection of excellent models either in the gallery or in the build process, and we have all learned a huge amount from @Nigel Heath and his excellent ongoing KV-107. So come on team lets get some more across the finish line!

• Like 3

My projects for a multiple build failed miserably due to the usual unpredictable distractions, not least the flu I caught from last weekend: I'm so sick I can't do anything at the workbench despite all the free time I have 🙄

Three weeks more should be enough to finish at least my single model.

Since my only occupation now is reading I studied more in depth the other subject I wanted to build, the very early Labrador with fluorescent red tail. To my horror I found that the Belcher Bits decals I hoarded so jealously over the years are completely useless for this era: for unknown reasons they put in the instructions a profile of the delivery scheme, then added a note saying that it can't be done with the decals provided... Bah!

So, I have now a question for those who purchased the Printscale sheet: are the big RESCUE scripts printed in the correct fluorescent red or, as my monitor tells me, are in the same red ink used for the rest of the sheet (making them useless too) ?

Sorry to hear about your illness Fabio, I hope that you are better soon.

I can't remember whether the RESCUE scripts are fluorescent or red on the Printscale sheet as I've given those parts of my sheet away, I shall ask my friend who has them what colour they are.

51 minutes ago, Whirly said:

Thank you MM, I appreciate that 👍

No problem, having looked at the picture of the decals in my build thread they do appear to be red rather than the fluorescent colour but I will wait to hear what my friend says as he actually has the sheet.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:13 AM, Whirly said:

My projects for a multiple build failed miserably due to the usual unpredictable distractions, not least the flu I caught from last weekend: I'm so sick I can't do anything at the workbench despite all the free time I have 🙄

Three weeks more should be enough to finish at least my single model.

Since my only occupation now is reading I studied more in depth the other subject I wanted to build, the very early Labrador with fluorescent red tail. To my horror I found that the Belcher Bits decals I hoarded so jealously over the years are completely useless for this era: for unknown reasons they put in the instructions a profile of the delivery scheme, then added a note saying that it can't be done with the decals provided... Bah!

So, I have now a question for those who purchased the Printscale sheet: are the big RESCUE scripts printed in the correct fluorescent red or, as my monitor tells me, are in the same red ink used for the rest of the sheet (making them useless too) ?

Minion

Belcher Bits here. Are you talking about 1/72 or 1/48? Those sheets have been redrawn over the years and the current sets do allow those early schemes. Contact me at [email protected] and I will send you a new set of decals.

Mike Belcher

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belcherbits said:

Minion

Belcher Bits here. Are you talking about 1/72 or 1/48? Those sheets have been redrawn over the years and the current sets do allow those early schemes. Contact me at [email protected] and I will send you a new set of decals.

Mike Belcher

Mike that is extremely kind of you.

It is Fabio ( @Whirly ) who has the problem with the decal sheet, I bought a sheet off you at Telford about 2 years ago so I presume they are the latest release of them with the ability to do an early scheme, I will point out your kind offer to Fabio (if that's okay with you) and get him to contact you. Nearly forgot, we are talking 1/72 scale.

Craig.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:53 PM, belcherbits said:

Minion

Mike Belcher

Hello Mike,

I'm Fabio, who originally lamented about the problem with your early decal sheet: I'm going to send you a PM.

Okay team we now have only two weeks left!

How time fly's when you're having fun :) .

We now have 4 entries in the gallery with a couple close to completion including Nigel's ( @wimbledon99 ) USMC build which seems to be steadfastly refusing to get itself across the finish line, Fabio's ( @Whirly ) JGSDF build, Richard's ( @spruecutter ) bright yellow RCAF bird and Nigel's ( @Nigel Heath ) Okinawan JGSDF bird which is probably more detailed than the real thing and @Jabba's Gulf veteran USMC build. Unfortunately I think the rest of the build entries are not going to make it as they have not been started, although I am happy to be proven wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Craig,

I stumbled my way around the new Flickr site and my offering is now in the gallery.

Just wanted to thank you for being such a wonderful host. Your support for ALL entries was second to none and from a personal perspective, it encouraged me to complete my build despite some recent personal time constraints. I also now know the difference between a large heli with 3 wheels and one with 4 wheels :wink:

See you in the D-Day build!!

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nigel you are way too kind, all I've really done is give the occasional poke.

I'm really glad that you have finished your build as it is really very good and has made me want to add a green Phrog to my collection, and I'm glad that know the difference between the CH-46 and a certain other tandem rotor helicopter with 4 wheels, apparently there are those that don't :) .

You will definitely see me in the D-Day build, been collecting all I need for my build, and don't forget that you're signed up for the 80's Asia one too, just so that I can :poke: you again, in a friendly way of course!

Thanks for taking part Nigel and for finishing such a great model.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nigel you are way too kind, all I've really done is give the occasional poke.

I'm really glad that you have finished your build as it is really very good and has made me want to add a green Phrog to my collection, and I'm glad that know the difference between the CH-46 and a certain other tandem rotor helicopter with 4 wheels, apparently there are those that don't :) .

You will definitely see me in the D-Day build, been collecting all I need for my build, and don't forget that you're signed up for the 80's Asia one too, just so that I can :poke: you again, in a friendly way of course!

Thanks for taking part Nigel and for finishing such a great model.

A Chinook still has 6 wheels, but has 4 U/C legs.

• Like 2

I would like to add that Craig has been an exemplary host, his words of encouragement have been most appreciated. And the technical guidance has been very good too. But please no more pokes with that nasty cattle prod.🐮 (that's supposed to be a cow face but you would hardly know it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Far too kind Nigel.

I promise not to poke anybody else until the end of the GB :) , unless they ask for it of course.

Well we now have less than a week to go and we have 7 finished models in the gallery in a good variety of colour schemes and with 2 more which should hopefully make it before the cut off date. 

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I would like to add that Craig has been an exemplary host, his words of encouragement have been most appreciated. And the technical guidance has been very good too. 

I would like to second this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whilst not taking part, it's been fun following the various builds.  I'm starting to get an itch to build another eggbeater.  

A 1/48 Sea King may or may not have fallen into the cart this weekend due to a sale.....:shutup:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Whilst not taking part, it's been fun following the various builds.  I'm starting to get an itch to build another eggbeater.  

A 1/48 Sea King may or may not have fallen into the cart this weekend due to a sale.....:shutup:

Glad you've been enjoying watching the builds and even better if it has made you want to build a helicopter, and you can't get much better than a Sea King.

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Due to popular demand, this STGB has been extended to 9 June

Thanks Enzo, we couldn't have our most in depth build missing the cut off date for the gallery and we have one other who will definitely cross the line now.

Also gives you a week to get your build done :) .

• Like 1