CH-46 / KV-107 STGB Chat

modelling minion

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I'm not going to be able to join in after all :( SleeperDad is in hospital and my right hand isn't up to speed yet. We're taking the opportunity to get his social housing house maintenance done so I'll be busy until end-March supervising and signing off the work my brother has organised.

On the bright side Swedish Decals may become available by the time I'm back at the bench.

Very sorry to hear that you won't be joining us after all but family and physical health come first, I hope that you are able to get your dad sorted soon.

• Thanks 1

Did any of you guys know that there is now a restored HKP-4 in flying condition in Sweden!! Check out this link;

https://omflygplan.wordpress.com/2018/10/01/nar-hkp-4-yngve-70-var-ny/

I REALLY hope that this beauty makes it's way to the UK, although it looks like Sweden is rapidly becoming THE place to go in Europe to see real aircraft flying what with all the classics in their historic flight, and lets not forget the Norwegian F-104 just next door.

• Like 2

I'm more than halfway through my current read, so it's time to choose the next book.

Browsing through my bookshelves, I've found those three, perfect to get in the GB's mood.

Well, what about "46 driver"???

46_dri10.jpg

flying10.jpg

bonnie10.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/02/2019 at 08:59, SleeperService said:

SleeperDad is in hospital and my right hand isn't up to speed yet. We're taking the opportunity to get his social housing house maintenance done so I'll be busy until end-March supervising and signing off the work my brother has organised.

Give SleeperDad our best regards.   Looks like you've got your priorities right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well here we are one week in to the GB and we already have 13 builds at various stages and with a good range of operators and schemes too including both civil and military. We have a good mix of both 1/72 and 1/48 builds and of course Cliff's 1/100 Tamiya build so this is turning into a very good and varied GB already.

• Like 4

Hi. Pulling out from this one. But am enjoying seeing some starts though. Not feeling up to doing it now so am leaving it. Hoping to get back in to the rhythm for the Lockheed GB soon though.

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Hi. Pulling out from this one. But am enjoying seeing some starts though. Not feeling up to doing it now so am leaving it. Hoping to get back in to the rhythm for the Lockheed GB soon though.

Very sorry to hear that Paul but there's no point forcing yourself if your hearts not in it, it is a hobby after all!

Hopefully you will get your mojo back soon.

• Like 1

Cheers. Funny thing is I haven't even been in my shed to carry on modelling since being back from my long holiday over a week ago now. Still interested though, just need to feel my way back. Slowly slowly catchy monkey they say....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @modelling minion and GB'ers.

Apologies for my lack of attendance. Rather embarrassed to have to report that I am unable to locate my Fujimi H-46 Sea Knight. I'm pretty sure I have one in the 'collection' somewhere. I've been searching all over the place for it, but no joy. If nothing else, this may force me into listing and generally organising the contents of innumerable cardboard boxes. 

If it turns up in the next week or two I hope to be able to join in, but I can't really justify buying another one (or can I? :hmmm:)

I would still like to tag along and follow the builds, if I may.

Sorry Guys :blush:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smudge said:

Apologies for my lack of attendance. Rather embarrassed to have to report that I am unable to locate my Fujimi H-46 Sea Knight. I'm pretty sure I have one in the 'collection' somewhere. I've been searching all over the place for it, but no joy. If nothing else, this may force me into listing and generally organising the contents of innumerable cardboard boxes. 

If it turns up in the next week or two I hope to be able to join in, but I can't really justify buying another one (or can I? :hmmm:)

Very sorry to hear that you can't find your H-46 kit Smudge, hopefully it will turn up soon.

I know what you mean about the need to organise as I've "lost" kits before and am currently searching for a sheet of decals for Pahntoms based at Edwards AFB that I KNOW that I have got but am buggered if I can find them.

And yes you can always use it as an excuse to buy another one ;) .

And of course you are welcome to stick around and follow the builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Smudge said:

PM sent re lost CH-46.Vertol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sadly I was a little slow off the blocks and missed out the chance to add another H-46 to my stash.

This spurred me on to have another rummage around in my loft. Digging into the furthest darkest corners and..........eureka! I have it.

20190401_144233

Actually this is the CH-46E/F 'Tiger' box and I was really trying to find the 'D 'Hotel California' box. But no worries, on closer inspection one of the options is for a 'D. It looks like it has all the right bits, which as far as I can tell are the engine exhaust parts.

When I originally threw my hat into the ring and volunteered for this GB, I had stated a desire to do a USMC Rescue 'chopper from an old Microscale sheet, but there are already a couple in the GB in this scheme, so I had another think and came up with this......

20190401_144451

I've done a few Vietnam era models lately, so this should fit in nicely with them. (and should help kick start a bit of a Vietnam theme) At least I think it will, as the sheet info is non existent. It is in the USMC Field Green scheme with white markings, which I think is rather smart.

Looking forward to getting started :D

• Like 3

Great to see that you found your kit Smudge!

Nice choice of decals, funnily enough I've got most of this sheet myself but no instructions so wondered what the choices were!

The over all green scheme does look good and having those eyes on the front will certainly make it stand out.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

looking at many reference images online I got an itch for doing an HMX-1 VH-46F, only it seems they are all of the 'Bullfrog' sub-variant. Is there any 1/72 conversion available or is it all up to your Milliput reserve?

Thanks 

Fabio

4 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hello,

looking at many reference images online I got an itch for doing an HMX-1 VH-46F, only it seems they are all of the 'Bullfrog' sub-variant. Is there any 1/72 conversion available or is it all up to your Milliput reserve?

Thanks 

Fabio

A VH-46 would be an excellent choice Fabio, I don't know of any conversions for any version of the CH-46 in 1/72 scale though.

What would you need to change from the parts supplied in an E/F kit?

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice choice of decals, funnily enough I've got most of this sheet myself but no instructions so wondered what the choices were!

If you'd like I could scan the instructions and email them to you.

They are not very informative I'm afraid. They give some basic colours and show the location for most of the unit markings, but the sheet has loads of small stencil decals, but no indication about where they should go! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, modelling minion said:

A VH-46 would be an excellent choice Fabio, I don't know of any conversions for any version of the CH-46 in 1/72 scale though.

What would you need to change from the parts supplied in an E/F kit?

The main visual difference are the larger sponsons. Academy offers this alternative in a special boxing, we have two builds ongoing, unfortunately in 1/72 I too am not aware of any conversion.

• Like 2