CH-46 / KV-107 STGB Chat

modelling minion

Dates:  2 Mar 2019 to 9 June 2019

Host:  modelling minion

Hi all,

With the lack of any helicopter types appearing in upcoming GB's does anyone fancy a CH-46 / KV-107 one?

There are lots of great schemes out there for them from Swedish splinter camo to Pan Am heli-liners and there are nice kits in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale.

So what do you say, any takers?

The list so far...

1. Me

2. Milktrip

3. Red Dot

4. Moaning Dolphin

5. Jabba

6. Jrlx

7. Nigel Heath

8. Knight Flyer

9. Bootneck

10. Trojan Thunder

11. Rodders

12. Andrew W

13. Jessica

14. Paul J

15. Sabre-days

16. Zebra

17. SimonT

18. Stephen

19. Squirrel19

20. Antoine

21. Radleigh

22. Spruecutter

23. Wafu

24. Smudge

25. Corsairfoxfouruncle

26. Covjets13

27. Enzo Matrix

28. Robertone139

29. Bjorn

30. Whirly

31. andyf117

32. Stevej60

33. Winnie

34. Sleeperservice

35. Wimbledon99

• Like 2

I would certainly entertain the idea, although I have nothing in the stash and not sure how popular it would be. Could it be considered on widening the catch to maybe other twin rotors (Chinook, Piasekis, etc). Would a Ch-113 be with in the scope?

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, and yes a CH-113 would definitely fit the bill.

Thought about adding Chinooks or other twin rotor helicopters but that would mean it isn't an STGB and that we would have to go through the voting process. As I understand it if we get 30 people interested then we automatically go through for the 2018 STGB's, if they haven't already been filled.

hi MM,

Go on then, a Japanese one it is, probably Army as i already have a JASDF and Swedish one (and there is no way i am doing the splinter scheme again!)

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Jaimr, glad to have you aboard.

Come on the rest of you, there's some cracking schemes out there for these fantastic birds. Everything from bright coloured SAR aircraft to well weathered combat machines from Vietnam to Iraq, surely there's something for all you rotor heads out there!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel Heath said:

I have the ancient Airfix kit in the stash, please count me in with that. When is the likely start date?

Thanks Nigel,

If we get enough votes of interest then we can make the 2018 STGB list (next years is full).

I look forward already to see what you can do with the old Airfix kit, I built a couple of them years ago and remember them going together okay if being a little "rivety".

That makes 7 of us so far, we're moving in the right direction!

• Like 1

Its a while since I looked in the box but yes "rivety" is a good description along with raised panel lines and some soft moulding. Maybe I should do the sensible thing and get the Hobby Boss kit?

• Like 1

The Hobby Boss kit is a good starting point for doing an American made CH-46 or for some of the earlier Canadian Army machines but you need the extra bloaty looking sponsons for a lot of the later ones and for all the Japanese ones except some of the JGSDF ones. Mind you I suppose you could donate those parts from the Airfix kit.

• Like 1

In fact anyone with any potential interest in building one of these should check out the website below. Its predominantly Canadian but has some great pictures.

http://cdnsarlab.blogspot.co.uk/

This should help with lots of detail pictures, but might lead to problems in choosing just one scheme to do! Mind you you could always build 2!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Jabba,

Can we put you down for a Gulf War USMC bird, or an exotic Saudi one?

A USMC one if I can get the decals for one of the Sand/Brown camo CH-46s that were painted up. I have been waiting patiently for many a year, so hopefully before this starts.

• Like 1

I have a 1:144 scale CH-46 that has been languishing in the stash for some time.  This could be just the encouragement I need to dig it out and build it.  No rush though as it will probably take me a year to think up a scheme for it..

Mike

• Like 1

21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Glad to have you.

The Fujimi kits are very nice and come in a variety of schemes, any idea which you will build if we get enough support?

This is the kit I have and probably will go for the included decals scheme.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/112052-fujimi-h-5-boeing-vertol-ch-46e-f-sea-knight

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

I have a 1:144 scale CH-46 that has been languishing in the stash for some time.  This could be just the encouragement I need to dig it out and build it.  No rush though as it will probably take me a year to think up a scheme for it..

Mike

Great to have you on board Mike.

A 1/144 scale one will be something a bit different as I think most of us are going 1/72 scale, although I do have a 1/48 KV-107 in the stash.

1 hour ago, Knight_Flyer said:

This is the kit I have and probably will go for the included decals scheme.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/112052-fujimi-h-5-boeing-vertol-ch-46e-f-sea-knight

Nice choice, I think I have the same boxing in the stash.