CH-46 / KV-107 STGB Chat

modelling minion

17 hours ago, Antoine said:

Well, I was wrong... 

I've checked with a friend who own nearly all the H-46/kv boxes, and it appear that the boxes have only one set of sponsoons....

Well, I'm stuck with my HH-46 for the moment, but I've still time to find a KV.

Wish me luck.

Have you tried asking in our very own "wanted" section? I have found it a very useful resource for getting hold of stuff that can be difficult to find.

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Good Luck Antoine!

I'm facing a rethink as well. I can't believe that nobody has done the Swedish decals for one :(

It is hard to believe as they were a major operator of the type, it's one of the hard things to understand about the H-46/KV-107 from a modelling point that even with good kits available in both scales it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to find alternative markings for them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I can't believe that nobody has done the Swedish decals for one

I wonder if the Swedish option on this Belcher Bits H-21 sheet might be made to fit a HKP-4? They would be good for early Navy non-splinter ones.

http://www.belcherbits.com/images/decals/bd20combo.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SleeperService said:

I've just been looking at those actually. I think Canadian will be Plan B. Thank You for the help.

You are more than welcome, and a 1/48 Canadian One would be a great addition to the GB.

I am seriously considering doing a 1/72 one from that sheet (I already have it) from one of my KV-107 kits, I think an early Labrador would be do-able as it didn't have the APU fitted until later in service.

• Like 1

@Antoine

Have you seen this?

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/fujimi-aircraft-1-72-h-3-boeing-vertol-kv-107ii-5-shirasagi-jasdf

I can guarantee that has the large sponsons, as I have that boxing in the stash.  Although my box is considerably more battered and faded...

FujimiKV-107.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

@SleeperService, have you thought of scaling up the 1/72 sheets out there? I have heard of 1/72 sheets being scanned in to computers then enlarged by 150% and printed out on decal paper, never done it myself but don't know if you have the ability to do this or know someone who does.

Now that is a very good idea! Certainly beyond my ability but I'm sure I'll find somebody who can do it. I'll make enquiries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Antoine said:

excuse me, I thought I've already posted this.

Did you check Printscale?

Sheet 72149 IIRC?

I'll certainly get this, too.

This is a very nice sheet and has been in my stash since it was released.

And if you have a close look at option 3 you will see that it flew both with and without the large sponsons, it was operated by the JGSDF from Okinawa and the rather nice colour scheme was also used on UH-1's and MU-2's which were used for SAR from the island.

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Does someone know about any reference book on the market?

I thought there was at least a Squadron In Action, but I'm not so sure after an intensive search through my bookshelves.

Any ideas?

Alas references on the type are few and far between and no there was never a Squadron In Action one which is very difficult to understand. there is an old Famous Aircraft Of The World covering both the KV-107 and H-46 and there was a book covering US versions in detail but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere online or remember what it's actual title is.

I am ready to go, I'll do the New York Airways KV-107 and a HKP-4.

Interesting enough, the Swedes got an early Vertol 107 with the square windows and that now rests at a Swedish Museum.

What is the best way to post pictures, I am afraid the ones from my phone may be too large.

Edited by Robertone139
added text
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

I am ready to go, I'll do the New York Airways KV-107 and a HKP-4.

Interesting enough, the Swedes got an early Vertol 107 with the square windows and that now rests at a Swedish Museum.

What is the best way to post pictures, I am afraid the ones from my phone may be too large.

A couple of excellent choices, it will be great to have a civilian one in the GB.

Most of us use services such as Flickr or Village Photos for posting our pictures from.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Rudolf_Filip said:

Please sign me up! 

I have had the Fujimi 1:72 kit in my stash since forever... 

I started it some years ago but I only managed to paint the cockpit floor. 

I have some Swedish decals for it so it will be HKP 4-build. 

Andreas 

Great to have you on board Andreas and I think you will be in good company with a Fujimi kit.

Painting the cockpit floor is not a problem as that is way under the 25% built rule, and a HKP-4 will be very welcome, will she be in the very cool (but difficult) splinter camouflage?

Craig.

7 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hello, this came up rather unexpected!

I signed up a year ago for a JASDF KV-107II and confirm my partecipation.

Regards

Fabio

Yes Fabio it has come round very quickly!

Very glad to hear that you are still taking part and I look forward to your KV-107.

Craig.

Right then;

@milktrip, @Red Dot, @moaning dolphin, @Jabba, @jrlx, @Nigel Heath, @Knight_Flyer, @bootneck, @TrojanThunder, @Rodders, @andrew w, @Jessica, @Paul J, @Sabre_days, @zebra, @SimonT, @Stephen, @Squirrel19, @Antoine, @Radleigh, @spruecutter, @Covjets13, @Wafu, @Smudge, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Enzo Matrix, @Robertone139, @Bjorn, @Whirly, @andyf117, @stevej60, @Winnie, @SleeperService, @wimbledon99  The time for this GB is rapidly closing in on us so I thought I would give you a gentle 1 nudge to remind you that you only have 1 month to sort out your kits, decals and whatever other accessories you might need for your CH-46/KV-107.

Look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Craig.

• Like 6

I'm probably going to be pulling out, and actually selling my Academy 1/48th kit, will be listing soon in the for sale section. 

Change of plans, doing my AFF this year and need the funds.

• Sad 1

I managed to buy a "as-new" Fujimi 1/72 CH-46E/F Sea Knight 'Tiger':

112052-11185-19-pristine.jpg

It came with Eduard's PE set, which was a very pleasant surprise :)

I'm not sure I'll manage to participate, as the GB will be during the last semester of my German course and I have a certification exam by the end of June, but I'll certainly do my best.

Cheers

Jaime