Lockheed P-38 J Academy 1/48

Gents, glad to sign in again, as been a while

Job is keeping me away from the hobby, my schedule doesn't gives me the time I wish I could spare but its what its.

So anyways here's my attempt to represent this incredible plane. The Academy kit is ok, not at the level of Tamiya or Eduard, but allows you build a good model. I didn't like at all the way that the sidewalls on the wheel wells meet the sides of the fuselage, so I just filled the gap flush with the edge of the well, I don't know how accurate that will be. Also the canopy is Spartan and I followed the instructions ending having the instrument panel way to forward so it became invisible.

I took the dull approach, corroded, dirty, weathered metal, not the shiny kind that you see on museums or factory pictures of brand new planes. I used a combination of the salt technique and Mig weathering wash, now the jury still out on the results, I have my personal doubts about.

The only aftermarket were the decals, I used a beautiful sheet from Bombshell decals, the are just perfect all around, besides that, just the cooper wire for brake lines, a leftover decal of the seat harness glued over metal foil, nav. lights from a forgotten manufacturer, and a tiny piece of brass tubing on the end of the guns to make them look hollow.

It was painted with Model Master Metalizers and Alclads.

Thanks a lot for stopping by . 

Ohhhh I haven't glued yet the side windows

DSC_3899_zpstls3imm5.jpg

DSC_3893_zpsvdfxgnlv.jpg

DSC_3882_zpse8l6wbjk.jpg

DSC_3877_01_zpsrwx0vz1j.jpg

DSC_3873_zpsmdpdmxbr.jpg

DSC_3867_01_zpswphcnuzd.jpg

DSC_3862_zpsvyzuyue0.jpg

DSC_3859_zpsfd9it3mp.jpg

DSC_3858_01_zpswhcb6efq.jpg

DSC_3857_01_zpsbfmqntyv.jpg

• Like 36

Great looking P-38. I like the finish, much more realistic than the highly polished effect seen on restored aircraft.

I agree with your comments on the fit, I had a bit of trouble fettling mine.

Pete