Tamiya 1/48 Mustang "Dooleybird"

Hi folk's built for the Mustang GB my take on Flt.Lt Arthur Doley's Mustang "Dooleybird" which was for a while posted to Acklington just

up the road from me,also I had happy memories of the old Matchbox kit built way back.Dave (Spadad) fixed me up with the decal's and

Tamiyas kit was a no brainer for my chosen scale,there are differing views on the actual finish of the real thing Blue front fuselage,Yellow

and blue and both with anti glare OD panel but I stuck with Blue,painted with Halford's rattle can silver,thanks for looking in.

DSCN4116_zpsz7rbcteh.jpg

DSCN4118_zpsk53psbkc.jpg

DSCN4119_zpsxrbcpmwf.jpg

DSCN4108_zpsjszrqik5.jpg

DSCN4106_zpslsswz1nb.jpg

DSCN4105_zpslmayeotd.jpg

DSCN4103_zpsz7ccwmny.jpg

DSCN4111_zpsi7vfqxji.jpg

DSCN4110_zps9r8etyzv.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 38

That's a great looking Mustang there Steve, a really nicely finished and colourful model.

I live about 5 miles from Acklington and I've always thought about doing a collection of aircraft that were based there over the years.

If I spread the net a little wider to cover Eshott, Millfield, Boulmer, Morpeth and Ouston, it would include some interesting types.

Thanks for rekindling my idea.

A real beauty Steve, a reminder of the Mb kit from days gone by, although the blue could have been nail polish on mine.

(I was only 12)

Sean

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cngaero said:

That's a great looking Mustang there Steve, a really nicely finished and colourful model.

I live about 5 miles from Acklington and I've always thought about doing a collection of aircraft that were based there over the years.

If I spread the net a little wider to cover Eshott, Millfield, Boulmer, Morpeth and Ouston, it would include some interesting types.

Thanks for rekindling my idea.

Many thank's Chris,great idea I have the same hope of covering more locally based aircraft Boulmer could be covered by Airfix's

lovely newish Sea King,we used to take the motor bikes up to Tranwell? many years ago for a Sunday fool around I know nothing

about the place I believe it was used for training.

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Many thank's Chris,great idea I have the same hope of covering more locally based aircraft Boulmer could be covered by Airfix's

lovely newish Sea King,we used to take the motor bikes up to Tranwell? many years ago for a Sunday fool around I know nothing

about the place I believe it was used for training.

Tranwell was indeed RAF Morpeth and was home to No.4 Air Gunnery School and an Operational Conversion Unit.

Early on it was home to the Blackburn Botha, but these were later replaced by Avro Ansons. There are the remains of a couple of old airfield buildings along with fairly intact blast shelters and there was talk of part of the airfield opening up again for private flying, but I've got a feeling that this fell through.

Acklington on the other hand was home to a vast array of types such as the Seal, Overstrand, Whitley, Henley, Defiant, Typhoon, Martinet, Master, Spitfire and Hurricane. Post war it had the Meteor, Javelin, Hunters, Sycamore, Whirlwind, Wessex and Jet Provost.

So as you can see, our neck of the woods was fairly busy from the 1930's to early 70's.

That should keep me going for a while!!!

Edited by cngaero
Update
  • Like 1

Very nice example of Doley's Mustang. Unknown to me at the time I lived round the corner from him in Wolverhampton when I was a kid. It was only many years later when I mentioned him in passing that my parents that they said they knew him. Talk about a missed opportunity! Anyhow the link from the RAF Museum adds interesting detail. http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/dooleybird-mustang-pilots-logbook-donation/

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...