My after Spit relaxing, Hurricanes Mk I Classic Airfitaleri

Hello dears,

Relaxing is more a kind of joke.

For my Battle of France serie, I will pay some respect to a great british pilot, Mr Roland P. Beamont

So I need a bipale 87th Sqdn Hurricane

I've since décades the old Airfix Hurricane, I missed the fabric wing.

I bought the Italeri but the wings are also the metallic one.

So I buy the Heritage fabric wing and I receive a Classic Airframe from a friend.

Well, a Battle of France, a BoB one and an MTO one, a dream...What else ??

WP_20161126_00_36_16_ProWP_20161126_00_36_33_Pro

Here are the fuselages

WP_20161126_00_32_52_Pro

From above, Italeri, Airfix and Classic

I remake an interior for the Airfix, but the Heritage wing is poorly moulded, need some .. Guess what ?? Putty and sanding

WP_20161126_00_34_38_ProWP_20161126_00_35_34_Pro

So, I keep going on this one too, depending of my mood.

I really like this kind of challenge.

Thank for watching.

Corsaircorp

• Like 23

Hi CC

well.... this IS my  speciality area.   Here's some relevant background info on the above kits.   

Best CA build I have seen, sorting out most of  the problems....

note  the links about interior colours

Kits for Cash fabric wing

Italeri Hurricane,this is the Sea Hurricane

This is also a very useful thread, as this is a poorly documented area, thanks to the other contributors, this is the best guide on the subject anywhere

I also highly recommend this for sorting out early Hurricane camo  and markings

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

have a read,  note  the links.

any questions ?  

HTH

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi CC

well.... this IS my  speciality area.   Here's some relevant background info on the above kits.   

This is also a very useful thread, as this is a poorly documented area, thanks to the other contributors, this is the best guide on the subject anywhere

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

any questions ?  

HTH

T

Hello again Troy,

Wow, should I dream a better start at this project ??

I did'nt choose the BoB markings, I will surely find an interesting one in all these documents.

Once again, thank you.

I picked up some photos for the Beamont's hurricane, even if there were rarely aircrafts assigned to one and only pilot at the time.

Be sure that I will look at all this carefully.

That remind me of one of the first digging we tried on a British Hurricane crashed in May '40.

This has given a lot of juridical squabblings and all has been stopped by order of the police.

Luckily, it was not always that way..:unsure:

Thank you.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• 4 months later...

Hello Dears,

I take it back a bit,

WP_20170411_19_12_34_Pro

I worked on the Heritage wing and on my scratchbuild interiors

See you later.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 6

No doubts, the Heritage wing has been engineered for the Airfix kit ...

WP_20170411_23_50_06_Pro

A little bit cleaner, will continue soon.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Hello Dears,

sometimes I picked another old project

No kits are never doomed to me, just waiting for me to take it back !

WP_20170818_20_55_14_Pro

More to come soon.

Have a very good modelling week end !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Trevor;

As a left over part, I just have a metallic wing from Airfix, that will may be help another Hurricane Mk II Hobbycraft !

I'm making 3 Hurricanes in 1 shot in fact  :rambo:

The Italeri will be a recce Hurricane in Malta :guitar:

Don't know wich one for the BoB ? Any suggestion ?

Think that the heavily improved Airfix will be the R. Beamont's one , LK Something in France.

But if I can help with some parts... Just tell it

I make the interior parts since there's Nothing in that old Airfix and as a jig for the Hobbycraft ones...

Will surely have a fourth Hurri Mk I if I fell on an Airfix new tool one ! I know , I'm heavily addicted !

Will order a 5th Spitfire Mk IX.:shocked:

Is there any doctor down here ? My shrink has commited suicide ...

Do not hesitate if I can help !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5

5 hours ago, James B said:

Think I'll tag along for the ride here, if I may. 

What an undertaking, I can't wait to see these progress.

Hello James,

You're welcome ! Progresses are slow but have a cigar, a beer whatever !

My philosophy is "even a very old kit deserve a place in the cabinet "

So, correcting, adding some scratching, and learn to sleep with some flawes !

Thank for the kind words !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I just have a metallic wing from Airfix, that will may be help another Hurricane Mk II Hobbycraft !

the Hobbycraft  is basically a clone of the Airfix kit,  but as Mk.IIc

The Airfix wing would allow you to make a IIa or IIb without rescribing the gun access hatches, but you'd need to rescribe the wing to match the HC kit.

The Aardvard/Hertiage wing was made for the Airfix fuselage,  though a better donor kit would be the Ark kit,  as it has engraved fuse and an interior copied from Hasegawa,but a terrible wing construction.

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Think that the heavily improved Airfix will be the R. Beamont's one , LK Something in France.

I've not seen a decent pic of Beamont's plane in France.

remember for a early Mk.I you need 5 spoke wheel hubs,  you can use 5 spoke ones from an Eduard spitfire which comes  with 3 types(you can usee the 4 spoke to improve the basic airfix/Hobbycraft hubs,andtoreplace the too small ones in the Hasegawa kit if you drlll  out the old ones with a 6mm drill bit)

if you are rescribing the Airfix fuselage,  don't  scribe in this hatch. this was not on the L**** and N**** serial planes....

Mail_being_loaded_into_a_Hurricane_Mk_II

Note that CA get both the hatch and wheel hubs wrong......

HTH

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

the Hobbycraft  is basically a clone of the Airfix kit,  but as Mk.IIc

The Airfix wing would allow you to make a IIa or IIb without rescribing the gun access hatches, but you'd need to rescribe the wing to match the HC kit.

The Aardvard/Hertiage wing was made for the Airfix fuselage,  though a better donor kit would be the Ark kit,  as it has engraved fuse and an interior copied from Hasegawa,but a terrible wing construction.

I've not seen a decent pic of Beamont's plane in France.

remember for a early Mk.I you need 5 spoke wheel hubs,  you can use 5 spoke ones from an Eduard spitfire which comes  with 3 types(you can usee the 4 spoke to improve the basic airfix/Hobbycraft hubs,andtoreplace the too small ones in the Hasegawa kit if you drlll  out the old ones with a 6mm drill bit)

if you are rescribing the Airfix fuselage,  don't  scribe in this hatch. this was not on the L**** and N**** serial planes....

Mail_being_loaded_into_a_Hurricane_Mk_II

Note that CA get both the hatch and wheel hubs wrong......

HTH

T

Thank you Troy,

This hatch is present on the later version of the Mk I ?

I don't know photos of Bee's Aircraft and there are several ones.

Since they did'nt have any Aircraft assigned, and at the time being, Bee was a junior officer, so he seemingly did'nt deserve it.

Some aces or reporter's favourites have an Aircraft assigned.

Do you know the last searches from J.L. Roba about the RAF in France ??

Edited in "Batailles aériennes" #67,68,70,71 and 72.

Jean Louis has thoroughly searched and he did a day by day, sometimes hour per hour report !

I spend a lot of time reading these !

1St volume about the Battle, then 2 about the Hurricane and the last 2 about Blenheim !

Of course it is in french !

Sincerely and thank again !

CC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

This hatch is present on the later version of the Mk I ?

yes, the hatch was introduced into production in early 1940,  Dave Wadman aka @tango98 said IIRC that he'd seen photos of very late N**** serial planes with this hatch,  (but all the N**** I have seen do not have it) and it was standard from then on,   so most Mk.I's and all other versions have this,  which is why kits have this.

The 72nd Airfix fabric wing does not have it ,the only one I know of.

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Do you know the last searches from J.L. Roba about the RAF in France

I know there was some discussion on this,  and a link to a PDF sample.

I hope the research was better than the  profile posted in the sample

see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963507-all-the-hurricane-questions-you-want-to-ask-here/&do=findComment&comment=1673827

There are somet threads on Battle of France Hurricanes,  I'll see if I can find them.

cheers

T

PS

87 sq in France w fin stripes

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946963-hurricane-1-87-sqn-lille-seclin-france-1940/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951615-paul-richey-hurricane-questions/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952052-aasf-air-component-bef-hurricane-colours-markings/

this has a load more links in post #2

lots to read,   hope of use.

Edited by Troy Smith
add links
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello dears,

Here I'm again,

following the advice of the dear @Troy Smith

There's no more hatch on the BoB one !

WP_20171102_23_06_16_Pro

I also toned down a bit the fabric moulding !

And worked on my Heritage wing

WP_20171102_23_05_38_Pro

Trailing edge is good now !

Glad about myself for that time only ! Sooooo,

Let's have a good

WP_20171103_00_23_40_Pro

Another try for the last pic

There's some problems today

WP_20171102_23_05_47_Pro

Okaaaay ! that's right

Mmmmmmh that cream !!

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

following the advice of the dear @Troy Smith

There's no more hatch on the BoB one !

WP_20171102_23_06_16_Pro

good work  CC,   but you still need to remove the moulding  for the tropical vents (two vertical lines to the right)

The tropical vents are the two vertical lines in the metal panel under  the cockpit,  under the kick in step.

terryprendergasthurricaneburma.jpg

another hangover from the Hase kit...

this also shows how the fabric  stringer lines do not have edges round the hatch...  

HTH

T

• Like 3

Thank you Troy

I did'nt have noticed it

But I can let these on my Malta's one I suppose ??

Also a Special Recce Hurricane !

Thank again !

Sincerely.

CC

• 3 months later...

Hello Dears,

About Hurricane, here's a good way to have a power supplier windmill with some allure !

38682357540_cf49d70ee4_b.jpg

I think Troy, that are some innaccuracies on this kit :rofl2:

38682357490_a3654a95e2_b.jpg

I don't know if she is a Mk I or Ib or Mk II

Ther's no hook, what a luck !:P

ok dears, Have and enjoy the sunny day, I know... -3° is not ideal for starting a good tan but !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:54 PM, Troy Smith said:

Hi CC

any questions ?  

HTH

T

Hello troy,

Did the fabric wing has disapeared since the P serial ?

Or is there still fabric wings with P serialed hurricane ?

I don't think that there are fabric wing sea Hurricane or Cam ship ?

Hope that I did'nt disturb too much.

Thank you beforehand.

Sincerely.

CC

To sum up progress to date:

Corsair in Rag Wing Hurricane Extravaganza Shares Creamy Drink by Windmill. :camera:

Watching this with more than avid interest Cc having recently acquired an early Mk.1 from AZ Models.

Lovely work - pray continue dear boy! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/03/2018 at 20:10, corsaircorp said:

Hello troy,

Did the fabric wing has disapeared since the P serial ?

Or is there still fabric wings with P serialed hurricane ?

I don't think that there are fabric wing sea Hurricane or Cam ship ?

Hope that I did'nt disturb too much.

Thank you beforehand.

Sincerely.

CC

Fabric wings are only seen on L**** (mostly) and N****(less so) serial Hurricanes.   

http://www.k5083.mistral.co.uk/APS.HTM

Block 1, First Hawker Produced Block
Serial Range L1547 - L2146 600 Aircraft

Built by Hawker Aircraft Ltd., of Kingston and Brooklands, to specification 15/36 under contract No. 527112/36. The first 430 aircraft were manufactured with fabric covered wings; the remaining 170 with metal covered wings, some aircraft later re-fitted with metal wings at Maintenance Units within the R.A.F. Aircraft deliveries commenced on the 15th December, 1937, and were completed on 6th October, 1939. L1547 was first flown on 12th October, 1937.

Block 2, Second Hawker Produced Block
Serial Range N2318 - N2367 (50), N2380 - N2409 (30), N2422 - N2441 (20), N2453 - N2502 (50), N2520 - N2559 (40), N2582 - N2631 (50), N2645 - N2674 (30), N2700 - N2729 (30) - Total 300

Built by Hawker Aircraft Limited, Kingston and Brooklands, to Contract No. 751458/38. Aircraft powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin III engines driving Rotol or De-Havilland three blade propellers. Aircraft deliveries commenced on the 29th September, 1939 and were completed on the 1st May, 1940. The average rate of production was one-two aircraft per day. Most aircraft fought with R.A.F. squadrons in Battle of France, and Battle of Britain. Numerous aircraft were later converted to Sea Hurricane IA, and to Mk. IIA. Twelve aircraft were shipped to Yugoslavia, these aircraft were replaced on R.A.F. contract, some aircraft were tropicalised and dispatched to the Middle East late in 1940. Airframes Up to N2422 were completed with fabric covered wings and from airframe N2423 with metal covered wings.

assuming the above is  correct.  I've not seen a N**** with a Rotol prop.  

As I  have said before,  there are gaps in the Hurricane information,   and the prop and spinners is often  wrong.

eg

Block 1/G, First Gloster Produced Block
Serial Range P2535 - P2584 (50), P2614 - P2653 (40), P2672 - P2701 (30), P2713 - P2732 (20), P2751 - P2770 (20), P2792 - P2836 (45), P2854 - P2888 (35), P2900 - P2924 (25), P2946 - P2995 (50), P3020 - P3069 (50), P3080 - P3124 (45), P3140 - P3179 (40), P3200 - P3234 (35), P3250 - P3264 (15) - Total 500

First batch of 500 Mk. I Hurricanes Built by Gloster Aircraft Company Limited, Brockworth, Gloucestershire, to Contract No. 962371/38/C.23a. Aircraft were powered by Rolls-Royce Merlin III engines. Aircraft deliveries commenced in November, 1939 and were completed by April 1940, the average rate of production was three aircraft per day. Majority of these aircraft fought with R.A.F. squadrons in the Battle of France and the Battle of Britain. Numerous aircraft were converted to Sea Hurricane IA, Hurricane IIA and IIB; some of these being shipped to Russia in 1941. Up to airframe P2681 were completed with 2 blade Watts propeller, from airframe P2682 completed with 3 blade Rotol propellers.

the highlighted should read "up to airframe P2681 were completed with De Havilland 3 blade propeller" 

there is one exception I know of,  but it is an oddity. 

No fabric winged Sea Hurricane,  and I'd be surprised to see a CAM ship one,  but that is possible,  as they were 'disposable'  but I've not seen a photo of one.

That said, there are not many photos of CAM Hurricanes.

HTH

T

• Thanks 2

Hllo Troy,

You were right in saying that the Hurri is your favourite.

I really thank you for the tip.

I saw a pic of a CAM ship hurricane but I can't download it, even copying was impossible.

I'll try to find it back just for having your advice...

Thank again.

CC

All after P2681 had Rotols?  That would explain why Blackadder (607 Sq, France) made a point of mentioning that his new aircraft had a Rotol - it was P2873.   Only a small handful of the Rotol-serialled aircraft  reached 607 Sq in France.  Plus they also had (presumably) the prewar colour red and blue in the  roundels.

But what was the equivalent breakdown for Hawker-built aircraft?  I would assume that they continued to be built with DH props for some time - Rotol being just up the road from Glosters.

Incidentally Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib N2435 was on Operation Pedestal in August 1942, possibly the last operational Hurricane Mk.I?  I bet it had metal wings by then - but so it should, if there was a simple single-serial changeover.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

All after P2681 had Rotols?  That would explain why Blackadder (607 Sq, France) made a point of mentioning that his new aircraft had a Rotol - it was P2873.   Only a small handful of the Rotol-serialled aircraft  reached 607 Sq in France.  Plus they also had (presumably) the prewar colour red and blue in the  roundels.

But what was the equivalent breakdown for Hawker-built aircraft?  I would assume that they continued to be built with DH props for some time - Rotol being just up the road from Glosters.

Incidentally Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib N2435 was on Operation Pedestal in August 1942, possibly the last operational Hurricane Mk.I?  I bet it had metal wings by then - but so it should, if there was a simple single-serial changeover.

Hello Graham,

Looking at Troy's sources here above, yes N2435 has metal covered wings..

It would have been fun, A fabric covered Sea Hurricane...

Ilike weird things !

Sincerely.

CC