Matchbox F4U-4 Corsair & Matchbox GB

Here is my ready for inspection Matchbox Corsair finished in post-war US Marines training unit markings. The model is built straight out of the box although the panel lines have been reduced and sharpened. I had one of these as a nipper, the box art is still a personal favorite.   

As a last reminder to all Matchbox fans and prospective Matchbox - Revell group builders. The 2017 group build vote is due to close at midnight on Sunday the 27th November. Matchbox desperately needs your support to qualify for next years group builds, please don't forget to vote. Some of our supporters are offering free lifts to the polling stations. 

30883592990_f596e17fc2_z.jpg

31136894031_c95fc04166_k.jpg

31215175656_cd79953221_k.jpg

31107372932_beb05b6239_k.jpg

31107383672_b37ff997ab_k.jpg

31107395372_bb3de29dea_k.jpg

31251273275_92d131c748_k.jpg

31107348872_e68d2bf316_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 21

74p! That's more than double when I last bought one. Remember building this one Friday night watching 'We'll Meet Again' on Tyne Tees TV. Didn't have white paint so cowl was yellow on mine and the decals went on before all the gloss paint was fully dry. Oh what fun back in the day.

• Like 3

Hi Old Thumper,

I always like your builds, as they are clean, no-nonsense, and they are pretty much the only Matchbox in town!

This Corsair is real neat and like most young(er) modellers in the Matchbox golden era, this box art was in my top 10 list.

Do you have a Tardis parked in your back yard? I can't think of any other way to have so many Matchbox kits... Time travel can be helpful.

Congrats

JR

• Like 2

This one a definite like as it was the first MB kit I managed to get a very good result.  It's exactly the same scheme and colour as your build... except - is there a modification to the wing armament?  I seem to recall having to glue in four cannon barrels rather than have 3 holes in each wing for machine guns.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Darby said:

74p! That's more than double when I last bought one. Remember building this one Friday night watching 'We'll Meet Again' on Tyne Tees TV. Didn't have white paint so cowl was yellow on mine and the decals went on before all the gloss paint was fully dry. Oh what fun back in the day.

We'll meet again was a classic telly programme.

21 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Old Thumper,

I always like your builds, as they are clean, no-nonsense, and they are pretty much the only Matchbox in town!

This Corsair is real neat and like most young(er) modellers in the Matchbox golden era, this box art was in my top 10 list.

Do you have a Tardis parked in your back yard? I can't think of any other way to have so many Matchbox kits... Time travel can be helpful.

Congrats

JR

Sadly there is no tardis parked on my drive. I pick my old kits up mostly at shows and from time to time at my local model shop.

16 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Superb. :clap2:

I can remember building this this as a kid in the '70's before I used to paint them. If I remember it was moulded in navy blue and light blue. 

Yes exactly those colours.

15 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

This one a definite like as it was the first MB kit I managed to get a very good result.  It's exactly the same scheme and colour as your build... except - is there a modification to the wing armament?  I seem to recall having to glue in four cannon barrels rather than have 3 holes in each wing for machine guns.

Correct again I changed the guns over because the original was apparently armed with mg rather than canon.

5 hours ago, Graham77 said:

Another beautiful Corsair on here, nice one. Fingers crossed Matchbox gets a Group Build!

15 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

I also have my fingers crossed, it looks like we could actually make it this time round.

Thanks everyone for your kind feedback and likes.

Hi Old thumper,

the following link leads to pretty much the nearest model shop from where I live, which is only a couple of miles north of the middle of nowhere.

That's where I get all the forbidden fruit from. Check it out.

Cheers

http://www.aviationshop.co.za/functions/prodList.asp?idCategory=1408

JR

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Old thumper,

the following link leads to pretty much the nearest model shop from where I live, which is only a couple of miles north of the middle of nowhere.

That's where I get all the forbidden fruit from. Check it out.

Cheers

http://www.aviationshop.co.za/functions/prodList.asp?idCategory=1408

JR

Interesting, I wouldn't call their prices cheap but they are approximately the same as UK online prices. Sort of affordable while at the same time expensive. I always wonder where exactly these old kits seem to keep appearing from, I would of expected the supply to have dried up by now. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, old thumper said:

Interesting, I wouldn't call their prices cheap but they are approximately the same as UK online prices. Sort of affordable while at the same time expensive. I always wonder where exactly these old kits seem to keep appearing from, I would of expected the supply to have dried up by now. 

My feeling, exactly. Re price, for me it ends up cheaper than the big H, as I save a lot on postage, but the choice is obviously hugely limited in comparison. As it is pretty much the only game in town, I just bite the proverbial bullet...

Regarding  where these (very) old kits come from, it is  a mystery as most of them are not pre-owned kits... Maybe Matchbox never told their African factory that they were closing down?

The bottom line is that it is nonetheless great to still find these oldies but goldies at a "reasonable" price.

JR

• Like 1