1/144 Authentic Airliners Thomson Boeing 757-200

Thomson 1448 Glasgow to Lanzarote today. 4 hours flight time 1033 departure 1433 arrival.

This is the Authentic Airliners 757 kit with livery by Draw Decals. Windows, windscreen and landing lights are by Werner Lehmann at Authentic Airliners. Thomson light and mid blue are Xtracolor X555 & 556, the dark blue is Revell Night Blue 54 Aqua colour. White is Halfords white primer and Boeing grey is Mr Color 315. Corogard is my own mix of Humbrol 191 Chrome Silver and Metalcote 27003 Polished Steel. Leading edges are silver decal.

I have had this on the bench for nearly a year now and was working on it in between my Airliner GB entry. I would have finished it sooner but had to wait for Telford to get some cockpit frame decals from AA where I also picked up Werner's new landing light decals which I feel add even more realism.

This is the first time I have used any Draw Decals and I must say I am very impressed with them. The carrier film seems to disappear completely. With this livery there are no decals on any curved surfaces so I didn't have any problems with the stiffness that has been reported with Draw's Digital Silk Screen decals. Looking forward to using some more of my Draw sheets on future 757s, I've got lots in the stash! 

Only very light weathering to this one!

35315052630_3447147880_o.jpg

35315224100_d202b6f142_o.jpg

35571759121_47481f4986_o.jpg

35315324460_2722eb1920_o.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
reuploaded images lost on Photobucket
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1

A delightful outcome, brilliant.

Beautiful 757! Is this kit still readily available? We could be doing with an injection moulded 1/144 757 to replace the old Minicraft example.

Superb work indeed.

Eng

• Like 1

Liking it is a bit of an understatement...LOVE it.

I really love the 757s looks and your build is spot on.

I just bought one of those from Kurt.Mine will be Caledonian Airways 757-200ER,flew on one to Kenya as a lad back in 1990.

Another absolute stunner Ian.  Thanks as always for sharing your wonderful models.  The landing light decals are amazingly effective and the windows ... well, what can I say?  Did you mask the livery by eye or is their some magical formula for getting it so perfectly symmetrical?

On 25/11/2016 at 5:36 PM, eng said:

Beautiful 757! Is this kit still readily available? We could be doing with an injection moulded 1/144 757 to replace the old Minicraft example.

Superb work indeed.

Eng

Eng, the Authentic Airliners 757-200 is available and I've recently ordered one.  It costs EUR 59 (about £50) plus postage, not exactly cheap particularly since the pound fell against the Euro but it's a quality product and well worth it.  I cannot for the life of me understand why Zvezda have duplicated the A320/321 and now the B738 but nobody seems prepared to do a decent injection moulded B757.

That really is an outstanding model!

It captures the look of the 757 perfectly, has an attractice liverty, reaaly good window decals, and has been beautifully made. What more could you want?

Cheers

John

(Must agree with Skodadriver too, why won't Zvezda do a 757 instead of duplicating existing kits?).

Thanks for the comments everyone, I really appreciate it! 

Alex, I've got the Caledonian livery on my to do list too, in fact this one was going to be Caledonian but I couldn't find any BA Landor grey for the fuselage so I changed my mind. You'll really enjoy building it! Looking forward to seeing it in RFI soon.

I agree with everyone's wish for Zvezda to do a 757 as well, but as long as the AA kit is available I'm happy. I'm as mystified as the rest as to why another A320/321 and 737-800. I'll probably buy a 737 when they come out though!!

Since I started using AA window decals I can safely say that I'm finally happy with my models. Before, whether they were glazed window openings or grey decal windows I always felt dissatisfied somehow. Everyone should use these decals in my opinion!!

Dave, for masking the wavy line I used 3M 471 3mm vinyl Scotch tape. Really bendy and great for exactly this sort of masking. I found the first side just went on really well and I was quite happy with the result. Matching it up on the other side was far more difficult though! I found the trick was to mark with a soft pencil key points along the line eg. where it crossed a panel line or the lobe crease then just follow along with the tape. So no, sorry, no magical formula I'm afraid!! I can recommend the 471 tape though.

John, Neil and Chris, it was good meeting you all on Friday, look forward to next time. How was Warley John?

Anyway back to the bench!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi ian,

Great to meet you too, look forward to next time, as I do to the next 757, Caledonian or whatever it turns out to be.

Warley was very good, it is always nice to see 'cross reference' with other forms of modelling.

Cheers

John

15 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Thanks for the comments everyone, I really appreciate it! 

Alex, I've got the Caledonian livery on my to do list too, in fact this one was going to be Caledonian but I couldn't find any BA Landor grey for the fuselage so I changed my mind. You'll really enjoy building it! Looking forward to seeing it in RFI soon.

I agree with everyone's wish for Zvezda to do a 757 as well, but as long as the AA kit is available I'm happy. I'm as mystified as the rest as to why another A320/321 and 737-800. I'll probably buy a 737 when they come out though!!

Since I started using AA window decals I can safely say that I'm finally happy with my models. Before, whether they were glazed window openings or grey decal windows I always felt dissatisfied somehow. Everyone should use these decals in my opinion!!

Dave, for masking the wavy line I used 3M 471 3mm vinyl Scotch tape. Really bendy and great for exactly this sort of masking. I found the first side just went on really well and I was quite happy with the result. Matching it up on the other side was far more difficult though! I found the trick was to mark with a soft pencil key points along the line eg. where it crossed a panel line or the lobe crease then just follow along with the tape. So no, sorry, no magical formula I'm afraid!! I can recommend the 471 tape though.

John, Neil and Chris, it was good meeting you all on Friday, look forward to next time. How was Warley John?

Anyway back to the bench!

Cheers,

Ian

For the BA Landor grey the Revell Grey 371 is a very good match.Its semigloss but you can polish it up or simply clear gloss over it will do as well.I did all my BA Landor airliners with that color.

If you use water based paints I guess the number is 31371 or 36371.Just check the last 3 digits to match.

Do you know if there are different engine options available? I've wanted to build a Finnair 757 for a while, but they used the Pratt & Whitneys instead of Rolls-Royce... :hmmm:

Beautiful plane, always loved the 757 and you really did justice to it! :worthy:

Thanks Alex, I'll have to check that Revell colour out.

For a P&W powered 757 look no further than here

http://www.authentic-airliners.de/epages/64205758.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64205758/Products/K144-12PW

and thanks for the compliment Overpin!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

On 24/11/2016 at 10:57 PM, Turbofan said:

Thomson 1448 Glasgow to Lanzarote today. 4 hours flight time 1033 departure 1433 arrival.

This is the Authentic Airliners 757 kit with livery by Draw Decals. Windows, windscreen and landing lights are by Werner Lehmann at Authentic Airliners. Thomson light and mid blue are Xtracolor X555 & 556, the dark blue is Revell Night Blue 54 Aqua colour. White is Halfords white primer and Boeing grey is Mr Color 315. Corogard is my own mix of Humbrol 191 Chrome Silver and Metalcote 27003 Polished Steel. Leading edges are silver decal.

I have had this on the bench for nearly a year now and was working on it in between my Airliner GB entry. I would have finished it sooner but had to wait for Telford to get some cockpit frame decals from AA where I also picked up Werner's new landing light decals which I feel add even more realism.

This is the first time I have used any Draw Decals and I must say I am very impressed with them. The carrier film seems to disappear completely. With this livery there are no decals on any curved surfaces so I didn't have any problems with the stiffness that has been reported with Draw's Digital Silk Screen decals. Looking forward to using some more of my Draw sheets on future 757s, I've got lots in the stash! 

Only very light weathering to this one!

IMG_9770_zpsgpschbcf.jpg

IMG_9768_zpscinhnu5t.jpg

IMG_9746_zpsx7qchyeu.jpg

IMG_9763_zpsfivezvo2.jpg

Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ian

Ian

What a fantastic looking model, top marks looks very real at first glance

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

this thing looks so great! with the upcoming zvezda 757 you got a few more to build :)

And i dont know why, but i dont have that impression with the window line being too high on this one 🧐 (compared to the bcal 75) this one looks just perfect... and even though its 5 years old, still one of the few 757 that really looks like one!

May i ask, how did you wrap the decal around the leading edge and did you use authentic airliner decals for that? secondly can you maybe show in detail the corogard color and how you mixed it?

best regards