Good afternoon! A couple of months ago I picked up the AIrfix BoB 75th Anniversary set at a very good price online and going against what I said I would do when I started modelling again, I built an aircraft I had already completed!

Let me present to you Hawker Hurricane L1592 of No.615 Squadron, RAF by Airfix in 1/72 scale:

IMG_1473.jpg

Despite a few seam issues along the way I really enjoyed making this. The main issues for me where that I couldn't get the canopy to be posed open as it doesn't fit along the runners. The landing lights were poorly moulded and fit badly. 

After my last attempt at a WW2 aircraft (see below), I decided to reduce the weathering and try a few new techniques:

- I created my own wing tip navigation lights from clear sprue

- avoided pre-shading and focused on highlighting - this can't really be see unless by naked eye and on the next run I'll be a bit more bolder with the highlights... I also think the clear coat neutralised the highlights some what

- I airbrushed the exhaust fume and machine gun stains with mixed results. I ended up respraying the camo around the gun ports

- added mud to the undercarriage and wing roots (minor)

Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking:

IMG_1474.jpg
IMG_1475.jpg
IMG_1476.jpg
IMG_1478.jpg
IMG_1479.jpg
IMG_1480.jpg
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg
IMG_1484.jpg
IMG_1485.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1491.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg

And the next few shots show L1592 next to my first model built during Spring 2015 from Airfix's Duxford legends set... notice this is the old tooling and I hadn't invested in an Airbrush back then! :)

IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1501.jpg

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
Restored photo links
  • Like 27

That's a very nice take on ol' KW-Z, and very nicely photographed too. I found the same thing as you- the canopy can't be posed open, you need the Squadron or Falcon vacform to do this and /or remove some plastic behind the cockpit. Great looking Hurricane though..  cheers, Dave

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Dave, with the canopy I suppose a quick trim of the runners will enable this but I just didn't want to take the risk after I had finished and varnished! Lesson learned, always dry fit twice.

Not keen on my attempt at the cloth used to cover the gun ports, they're a bit thick for the scale. I used Tamiya masking tape painted red so can be removed but not sure on what to replace it with. Any suggestions?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Not keen on my attempt at the cloth used to cover the gun ports, they're a bit thick for the scale. I used Tamiya masking tape painted red so can be removed but not sure on what to replace it with. Any suggestions?

I like your Hurri very much. An extremely clean build.

You could try red painted decals cut to size to replace the Tamiya tape for the gun cover. It will definitely be much thinner.

Well done

JR

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks all.

Dave, with the canopy I suppose a quick trim of the runners will enable this but I just didn't want to take the risk after I had finished and varnished! Lesson learned, always dry fit twice.

Gummed cigarette papers - paint them beforehand, cut to size and fix in place with varnish. I've used this technique a number of times.

• Like 2

A nice pair of Hurris, your latter especially so. I've used painted decal squares as Jean suggests & while they can be a fiddle to get to settle around the leafing edge curve they do look good. I like the sound of Mitch's idea though, I reckon on trying this, I think the porosity of the paper will grab to the surface better. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 2

Don't think it was an issue as such John R, I am sure the runners angled in as they went forward to the screen, so in real life the canopy frame would have to flex to allow for this, something you can't do in solid plastic.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks all.

Yah, I had a real to- do with mine over the canopy... I did end up shaving a fair amount away from the area behind the cockpit on both sides as I recall...   I hadn't noticed the tape till you mentioned it tbh, seems others have chipped in with some very good suggestions. Another thing to try might be to cut out the red part from some roundels, (I think it's a passable match) and use those.    Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John R said:

Wasn't there a real life issue with the canopy in that it changed shape as it closed? Something to do with the alignment of the runners.

Troy would know this!

John

you can blame John for mentioning me....  yes, the runners are curved in  plan

from http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/&do=findComment&comment=1960686

Hurricane_dimensions.jpg

note in the drawing there is a note about the canopy rail being curved, here's a warbird photo which shows this detail well, the canopy flexes down a bit as well when shut.

Hurricane_canopy_rails.jpg

sadly, the Airfix canopy is too high,  along with some  other issues....  some of which unfortunately carried onto the 1/48th kit. 

Ironically the 1978 or so 1/72nd Mk.I is better in some areas...  Airfix have done 7 Hurricane kits, 5in 72nd, 2 in 48th and 1 in 24th,  (8 if you included Heller rebox) and they are all different shapes.....   there's a lengthy post due on this when I feel inspired.

Enough of my rambling, very neat build.  

• Like 2

Something I've done with my three Airfix Hurricane builds over the last few years is what Tony O'Toole put me onto & that is to sand merry hell out of the sides of the dog house (hump behind cockpit) till the canopy will fit over it. Done carefully, it enhances the look of the model , to my eye at any rate, using  a vacu form canopy may well render it unnecessary, but I didn't have one available.

Steve.

• Like 1

HI All, thanks for the praise and your suggestions on how to tackle the gun port fabric. I'll have a look at my decal reserves and am also intrigued at what result the cigarette papers might have - what a great idea!

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 1