Help with flag decals needed

HMS Thunderbolt

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question about how to use the flag decals provided with the Airfix starter set of HMS Victory. The instructions suggest just wrapping the decals around the masts and having them stick to themselves, is that correct? My worry is that if I don't get them lined up right straight away they'll disintegrate when I try to re-adjust them so I don't want to attempt this until I'm certain it'll work. Also can you get a ripple effect like this?

Any help, tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I paste paper flags onto aluminium foil, just ordinary kitchen type.

I paste one side of the flag to the foil, [prittstick usually works], trim the ally close to the edge of the paper, wrap the paper flag over a bit of thin wire and paste the other side of the flag to the ally, trim neatly and glue the ends of the wire to the flag staff. A waving effect can be made and will hold by bending the flag now.

I have been scanning the flag or getting a suitable image from the internet then pasting it onto a word document then repeating the process with a horizontally flipped version of the same image.  By placing them up against the margins on each side of the page then printing the same sheet of paper twice, turning it over for the second print, it is possible to get a double side print of the flag (sometimes needs a bit of fiddling the image back and forward until the two sides coincide).  I then seal the ink with a non water based matt varnish such as Matt Cote and cut out the flag, crinkle up a bit and glue it on the flag staff.  The pic below is the White Ensign on my RC conversion of the Revell 1/144th Flower after it survived its first sea trials today.

Flag.jpg