MiG E-152A - 1/72 scale big MiG from Modelsvit

Just finished - the huge MiG-152A in 1/72 scale from Modelsvit.......

mig-e152_28.jpg

Twin R11F-300 powered MiG-152A fitted with two dummy K-9 missiles.

mig-e152_29.jpg

Looking like a 1/48 scale fuselage fitted with a 1/72 scale wing - the E-152A was assigned the ASCC Reporting Name 'Flipper'.

mig-e152_30.jpg

mig-e152_31.jpg

mig-e152_32.jpg

The fins on the real K-9 missiles were painted black to make them look like Sparrow missiles.

mig-e152_33.jpg

Twin exhausts and massive ventral fins.

mig-e152_34.jpg

mig-e152_35.jpg

Big MiG pair from Modelsvit - single-engined E-150 (left) and twin-engined E-152A (right).

mig-e152_36.jpg

E-150 and E-152A compared.

WIP photos are here.

Ken

• Like 34

Yes! YES! I didn't know this had been released until I went to Telford. I went with the strong intention of not buying anything - until I saw this. Definitely one on my bucket list and which I hope to get started as soon as I have got a clear bench.

Cracking job and good to see the snags before I start mine. Didn't see much evidence of filler. Did the wings and tails fit OK?

Thanks

John

Oh, yes! The ancestor of a mighty MiG-25! Great model of a great-looking plane!

I must say, E-152A is what Lightning might look more or less like should it have two engines mounted horizontally. You just need to replace MiG's delta wing with the one from the real Lightning.

This was for sure - not easy build.

Result is simply - beautiful.

Those experimental Russian planes are just amazing. I can not decide whether they are beautiful or ugly, or both at the same time.

Regards Djordje

• Like 1

That's just stunning Ken :thumbsup: .

Builds like this, along with the ever increasing and really diverse range of Soviet subjects available, are really spiking my interest in Soviet Cold War subjects.

I'm off to have a pleasurable read of the WIP!

:goodjob: 

ATB

TonyT

8 hours ago, djos said:

This was for sure - not easy build.

Result is simply - beautiful.

Those experimental Russian planes are just amazing. I can not decide whether they are beautiful or ugly, or both at the same time.

Regards Djordje

+1 nice kit!

Magnificent. Very nicely done indeed. Going to have to get one of these. Ken, I've got to stop looking at your threads. Every time I do, another kit goes on the shopping list!

All the experimental MiG-21 variants are fascinating - I'd like to see a Ye-8 next - please Mr. Modelsvit!

44 minutes ago, zebra said:

All the experimental MiG-21 variants are fascinating - I'd like to see a Ye-8 next - please Mr. Modelsvit!

Art model issued one a few years ago so maybe Modelsvit will not bother - not the greatest. Somewhere in RFI is one built by General Melchett

John

Nice job Ken, one of my favourite Soviet aircraft, hopefully the M won't be long in coming. Picked one up at Telford for a very sensible price...in fact I saw several folks wondering around with them tucked under their arms. Look forward to cracking on with it......looks like an unholy alliance between an Su-15 and a MiG-21 on steroids.

• Like 1

I have an ancient 1/144 kit of this plane in my stash. It's labelled as the Mig 23, but that was also true of the Western press at the time...

I like the fact that it was allocated a Reporting Name - Flipper - even though it never entered service.

IIRC wasn't there a fuzzy photo published in the UK press in the late 60's - purporting to be a Flipper firing a missile ???

It turned out to be a hoax - a model attached to a window and shot against the sky background - and deliberately 'blurred'

Very well done in pre-photoshop days - kids today..........

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

11 hours ago, John R said:

Art model issued one a few years ago so maybe Modelsvit will not bother - not the greatest. Somewhere in RFI is one built by General Melchett

John

And the shopping list gets one kit longer... now I've seen the General's Ye-8 I'm going to have to get one of these as well. And a MiG-23PD, now I see they made one of those as well. 

Typical Amodel Zebra - large sprue gates (bigger than the part sometimes!) - all mating surfaces need 'fettling' to fit properly and a clean up.

Most joints need a smear of filler etc etc.

I don't remember any specific problems - just the usual limited run parts.

Ken

15 hours ago, Flankerman said:

IIRC wasn't there a fuzzy photo published in the UK press in the late 60's - purporting to be a Flipper firing a missile ???

:doh::doh: - the very same photo I was remembering is included on page 43 of Yefim Gordon's 'Red Star' book, volume 19 'Soviet Heavy Interceptors'

I can remember the excitement at the time - new secret photo taken of a Flipper launching a K-9 - all very hush-hush, clandestine Cold War stuff.

Until it proved to be a hoax...... :crying:

No-one else old enough to remember it ??

Ken

Now this one ticks all the boxes for me:

Wellbuilt - check

Russian - check

Prototype - check

Brutal looking - check

Would I want one :hmmm: - check (well I would want TWO! :winkgrin: ) - doublecheck

I really like it! :goodjob:

How big is this compared to a MiG-19?

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
Forgot a question! :-)

4 minutes ago, steve4536 said:

A really nice neat job...I notice the wheels are green which i think is a great contrast to the rest of the model. Was that your choice or the kit scheme?

Most Soviet aircraft painted the hubs that colour -- it's some sort of corrosion-resistant paint, I believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

Most Soviet aircraft painted the hubs that colour -- it's some sort of corrosion-resistant paint, I believe.

Thanks..It definitely looks a great colour for the model as well.