1/72 Revell Handley Page Victor

Hello, first post on this forum!

I liked to build (very bad) scale models as a kid, and after a 15-20 year sabbatical I decided to pick up the hobby again. I have been lurking around without registering for quite a while now, and I figured it's time to sign up and post something. I've always thought British cold war bombers are really cool, so I wanted to start out on those. I already built the Avro Vulcan in Operation Black Buck camo scheme, so I thought I'd go for Operation Desert Storm for the Victor.

I was actually going to build Airfix's new Victor model, but It hadn't come out yet by the time I finished my Vulcan so I got Revell's old tool model. I'm aware of aftermarket improvements but decided to build this one OOB. The fuselage halves and intakes were a PITA, but rest of the airframe went together quite nicely. I rescribed the panel lines, but left in some of the raised details that were too tricky for me to scribe. 

I sprayed on two layers of grey Vallejo primer (rattlecan). The topside was meant to be "hemp" in colour, but I couldn't find the shade from Vallejo (I really like their paints :D ) so I consulted the guy at the local hobby store, and we decided on German camouflage beige WWII which is really close but lacks some red. Underside is Vallejo light grey. Weathering was done with acrylic wash and a bit of Tamiya weathering master, I'm worried I overdid it a bit.. :hmmm:Lastly a coat of Vallejo satin varnish from a rattlecan and I called her done! I forgot to glue in the stairs before I took the pictures, oooops. :mental:

It's my second build, be kind :footy:

IMG-20161120-WA0000_zpsky5corba.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0007_zpsroswamkn.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0005_zpsvgrczlss.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0002_zpszs6fkma5.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0003_zpsty2eskdv.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0006_zpsgcp2xdpy.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0001_zpsrq19cohc.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0004_zpsgfusrjal.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0008_zps1hvxo5k6.jpgIMG-20161120-WA0009_zpsxguieszn.jpg

• Like 36

Thank you guys! Yes, the kit comes with the option to drop the flaps, deploy the airbrake and it also has movable ailerons. You can also make it appear as if the ram air turbine scoops are extended. I do frown upon the lack of air speed and static pressure instruments, but since I was building it as it comes I didn't bother making any. I might also be lazy.. :fool:

Edited by Overpin
fixed a sentence

As above, a superb entrance. :clap2:

Looks fantastic, one to be proud of. Your weathering looks about right to me. :goodjob:

Like me you've come back to the hobby after a long break. It's amazing how many of us have done that. I find it a really good relaxing and now I have the spare income that I didn't have before. 

I'm glad you decided to join because your Victor looks absolutely terrific.  What you have achieved with those infamous intakes is great.  The weathering looks spot on to me too. 

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Second model? Can't wait to see the third if thats what you can acheive with an old model like that. Excellent work,

Cheers

John

Well, technically third since I did start out building a 1/350 Heller Tirpitz but that turned out to be too much for a beginner. I finished Airfix's Avro Vulcan before this, which also was quite a challenge, so I got some good practice for the Victor.

I'm staggered by your response guys, it's really motivating to hear such praise from people who no doubt build great models. Looking at the pics I just now noticed I've forgot to glue on the refueling baskets, and that the vertical stabilizer is not straight. :doh:

Edited by Overpin
typo

Hi Overpin and welcome,

Nice to see somebody else going through the Revell Victor experience. :winkgrin:

Your Victor looks very nice, the colours look spot onto me... as others have said this is not the easiest kit to build but you have done her justice.

Cheers, gazza l