Airfix Victor delayed?

Harrier/ViperFan

not sure when they were fitted, but the camouflaged option in the kit clearly shows them, might have been introdued when they went low level to give a bit more range as the engines would burn more fuel at low level.

23 hours ago, STRAT'71 said:

I notice that the Airfix box art shows the Victor without the wing fuel tanks, as does the review build in the Airfix magazine.

Can anyone clarify as to where and when these were fitted?

The underwing tanks were designed to be fitted to the early Victor B.Mk.2's (free fall aircraft) fitted with Conway R.Co.11 engines but due to the fact that the amount of fuel carried in the tanks was exactly the amount required to overcome the drag of the tanks, they were never fitted as standard.  With the introduction of the R.Co.17 engines in the later (Retrofit) aircraft, as modelled by Airfix, and the deletion of the bomb bay tank to accommodate the Blue Steel equipment, it was considered prudent to fit the tanks on to the Retrofit aircraft as well as the IFR probe.

Underwing tanks were re-introduced circa 1966 following extensive redesign by HP's following an incident with one aircraft (XL158) at Wittering whilst on QRA.  Quite simply, the tanks fell off.

One further item regarding the tanks.  At the front under nose you will find an intake.  This will need to be removed for a Blue Steel aircraft and early B/SR.Mk.2 aircraft as it was part of the fuel jettison system introduced much later on the B/SR.Mk.2's and well after the BS aircraft had been withdrawn.  NB.  Fuel jettison for the fuselage Group of fuel tanks was partially fitted to a very few Blue Steel aircraft but the part required is not in the kit that I can find.

Attached a couple of my shots of XL189 at Luqa September 1965. Note also that the VCCP heat exchanger pack is not fitted.  Carriage of that and the missile caused undue strain on the airframe and although Vulcans carried training missiles overseas, Victors were not allowed to.  Some aircraft did, however, retain the VCCP and associated heat exchanger for overseas trips.

63HoVdw.jpg

RVxuVOy.jpg

Note that it still has the X-Band aerial covers around the tailcone.  These, together with the ECM equipment, were later removed and especially on the B/SR.Mk.2's which did not carry ECM.

HTH

Dennis

EDIT:-  Attached shot of XL189 with tanks and missile fitted - Finningly 1967 :-

fr2K0U8.jpg

Edited by sloegin57
Additional insertion and spelling
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

Please don't call it an IFR probe, it's an AAR probe.

For those of us that fly IFR means something completely different!

I agree Ascoteer but we will have to agree to disagree as it was always IFR probe on the Victors but an American C-130E crew at Jorge Chavez Int Airport went away totally convinced that it was a 30mm cannon.  I was a slightly amused when they thought we were French and wondered just how far I could take it.

Dennis

• Like 1

On 4-12-2016 at 0:11 PM, Harrier/ViperFan said:

Well mine arrived Thursday, misses proceeded to take box from me while saying "Thank You for getting me your xmas gift" before I could half inch it back she wrapped it.. I didn't even get to fondle the bags :crying:

Look at the bright side: at least your wife has a Christmas gift for you you really, really want and have been eagerly waiting for! How many people can say the same (apart from some of the gluesniffers on this forum)?

Robert

• Like 2

I'm afraid my willpower vanished this morning and I pre-ordered another Victor  :rolleyes:  On the plus side, I was able to use the 20% discount code from the Airfix survey, so it will cost me the princely sum of £47.99  :D

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hattons have got their stock in now, nice to see they're honouring their original offer price of £46 + £2 postage, even if you haven't pre-ordered.

2 for me at (£38.95 + £9 postage) each from Hattons and could not resist a Stuka+Gladiator Dogfight Double + Heinkel H6 for company now thats blown the budget for the rest of year... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hattons have got their stock in now, nice to see they're honouring their original offer price of £46 + £2 postage, even if you haven't pre-ordered.

Cheers mate, not only will I definitely get mine before Crimbo, I also saved myself 30 Euros.

I also took the opportunity to tell Hattons to not give up on selling models (feel free to roll your eyes..)

You're a gent. :-)

• Like 1

+1 ordered from Hattons as well in what will probably be my last ever purchase from this great establishment (as they are no longer selling kits).

I've just looked at my account history with them and the list is long and proud. It's a pity they are giving up on kits. 

One annoying aspect however is the way they quote postage on large items, only to then advise a few days later that Royal Mail will not handle this parcel at this price due to its oversized dimensions. It would make more sense to just quote the correct price from the start to avoid the subsequent emails for more money (usually more than twice what's quoted) a few days later. 

At this stage I've been charged GBP 11.00 postage to Australia, however I'll play the game once again and see where we go. Mind you the VAT is deducted so I'm already saving at least 20% from the already reduced price. Who knows what the full impact of Brexit will be for foreign sales?? 

Cheers... Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

+1 ordered from Hattons as well in what will probably be my last ever purchase from this great establishment (as they are no longer selling kits).

I've just looked at my account history with them and the list is long and proud. It's a pity they are giving up on kits. 

One annoying aspect however is the way they quote postage on large items, only to then advise a few days later that Royal Mail will not handle this parcel at this price due to its oversized dimensions. It would make more sense to just quote the correct price from the start to avoid the subsequent emails for more money (usually more than twice what's quoted) a few days later. 

At this stage I've been charged GBP 11.00 postage to Australia, however I'll play the game once again and see where we go. Mind you the VAT is deducted so I'm already saving at least 20% from the already reduced price. Who knows what the full impact of Brexit will be for foreign sales?? 

Cheers... Dave

Uh-oh. I remember them doing that now with my Sea Vixen.

*sits by phone*

Still buries the prce of getting it from Airfix direct. Hattons could raise their prices a bit, still be competitive AND make a better margin, in my opinion. They are a bit too aggressive, and thats probably what is driving them out.

Edited by alpine_modeller

58 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers... Dave

Quite right Dave, however - ever since Hattons started liquidating their stock they seem not to be sending out higher requests for shipping!

About 4 months ago (before their liquidation push) I wished to buy the Airfix Battle of Britain 75th Gift set from them - only to receive the dreaded email requesting some obscene increase to the postage - so I ended up cancelling the purchase, as was the case with Shackleton many months ago and the 1/48 British Forces Op Herrick gift set and other larger kit boxes... Then about 2 weeks ago I thought why not try again, they had sold out of Shack but managed to pick up the other 2 gift sets mentioned and this time no problems with the £7 shipping charge! Lets see what they do with Victor shipping charge...

Another tip is always choose surface post from the UK - believe it or not all mail is being sent by air, even if it was marked surface, this is the same with Hannants who are the most expensive with kits and shipping, you will receive your items within 2 - 3 weeks , sometimes sooner if you choose surface - and you will have more quid for models instead paying the postage charges...

Unfortunately this only seems to be the case with mail from the UK, when I buy from Luckymodel in Hong Kong surface mail takes about 8 - 12 weeks to arrive so no air mail service for the price of surface mail there! 

• Like 1

And just received notification from Hattons that one of my 2 Victors purchased has been shipped! No request for extra in shipping over the £9 postage already charged - Hooray for Hattons!

Just for the record Hannants by comparison charge £49.99 (not including VAT) for the Victor and £36.93 was their cheapest shipping option to Australia for 1 Victor (and £43.55 was their shipping cost for 2 Victors) 

So totals comparisons are:

Hattons:     £47.95 for 1 Victor shipped to Australia

Hannants:  £86.92 for 1 Victor shipped to Australia

Hattons:       £95.90 for 2 Victors shipped to Australia

Hannants:  £143.53 for 2 Victors shipped to Australia

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 2

Like Uncle Dick, for me the Hatton's machine has ground into life and my pair of Victors have been packed in one parcel by the delightful Gill Snape at 14.54 and will be delivered tomorrow. Hoorah!! Rejoice!! I suspect that my pair will arrive slightly before Uncle Dicks but it will indeed be sad when the supply of Airfix releases no longer comes from Hattons! Wonder if I can order a  Shagbat from them before they pull the plug? I think not!!

• Like 1

Uncle D, I just hope your right. I'll await my email to confirm shipment however I've been burnt before in this past so I'll hold my breath for a little while longer. 

Simon, I'm afraid your shagbats are not even gonna make the preorder list. I too have sent emails to Hattons regarding their dropping of kits and they have confirmed that once the last kit is sold - then that's it. I suspect that they will also honour any preordered 1/48 Stukas and will probably have a few more for general sale for a day or two after that. 

I have doubts that any of the announced Airfix 2017 releases will be available from Hattons. 

Cheers.. Dave

I was also eyeing with it but without SWMBO :wicked:

When I finally decided to order it the shipping (to Germany) went up quite a bit and I pulled out. I will wait for summer - friends go to England for holidays (lucky chaps) and I will kindly ask them to have them a Victor sent to their Cottage. In the mean time I will watch with interest all the nice build reports showing up here :-)

Bad news with my second Victor from Hattons!

Received the following email:

I’m really sorry to say that due to the dimensions of A12008, we will be unable to send this order using the delivery method you have selected. The only courier that we will be able to use for such a large item is DHL Express, which, while being an extremely fast service, does come with a further cost of £21.18.

They shipped the first one no problems - so they will have to come up with a good explanation as to why they cannot ship the second like they did the first one without any extra cost! So I replied:

Please have Gill Snape look after this shipment as she packed and shipped the same kit for me yesterday without any extra cost (I had bought 2 of the Victors separately). One of which Gill Snape shipped yesterday no problems and no extra cost! So it can be done - you just need to have the right staff packing it! 

Lets see how they get out of this one!

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I was also eyeing with it but without SWMBO :wicked:

When I finally decided to order it the shipping (to Germany) went up quite a bit and I pulled out. I will wait for summer - friends go to England for holidays (lucky chaps) and I will kindly ask them to have them a Victor sent to their Cottage.

If I were you, I'd be having an eye on the BIN and auction offers of a certain retailer located near Frankfurt/Oder. I bet he'll put up some for auction when they arrive. The first will be over his BIN Price likely, but at some Point the Price will tail off. My three Whitley Vs bought from him averaged well under 20 € apiece, the Meteors I estimate at an average 24 € (would have to check).

• Like 1