Airfix Victor delayed?

Harrier/ViperFan

4 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Bad news with my second Victor from Hattons!

Received the following email:

They shipped the first one no problems - so they will have to come up with a good explanation as to why they cannot ship the second like they did the first one without any extra cost! So I replied:

Lets see how they get out of this one!

Let's hope you have some luck with your 2nd kit Uncle. I still cannot believe that Hattons still do this after the email traffic that I shared with them after they tried this on me with the Airfix Shackleton. In the end I canceled my order in frustration, however accepted that because the Shack was on preorder they did not know the box dimensions beforehand. 

The Victor however had arrived in stock, so you would think that with all the previous 'large package' history (even just taking my issue as one example) Hattons would know NOT to quote and charge for postage prices that they cannot comply with. 

I will now await my 'sorry' email and take it up from there. 

Cheers... (a slightly less excited) Dave

8 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Bad news with my second Victor from Hattons!

Received the following email:

They shipped the first one no problems - so they will have to come up with a good explanation as to why they cannot ship the second like they did the first one without any extra cost! So I replied:

Lets see how they get out of this one!

Interestingly, half my order of two kits arrived today but had travelled a somewhat shorter distance than that required for Uncle Dicks - perhaps the IFR - sorry AAR - doesn't work? 

So, my order was packed by the delightful Gill but she seems to have trouble counting above one - although the nice people who run Hatton's accounts department have charged me for two and the invoice in the parcel also mentions two kits (as it should). Oh dear. I have e-mailed Hatton's a short while ago and I have suggested to them that I won't be very pleased if they tell me that they now no longer have stocks - I blame KevinK if thats what they say! Of course I have no time to build one, let alone 2 Victors so its academic but having ordered the pair months ago, been told they would be available in November then the 19th December but, out of the blue, they are on their way a day ago, to receive only one is really messing around with my expectation management!!

Disappointed from Stoke-on-Trent!! :( 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that Simon, and Dave I hope you do not receive the same email: for anyone that wants an extra Victor from Hattons I would watch their stock today as my second Victor that I purchased and they say they cannot ship for the shipping price originally charged after having shipped the first will likely reappear for sale on their site today.

Heres their latest reply:

I can see the order that was dispatched packed by Gill. I'm not sure why this left us as it is more than likely going to be returned to us by Royal Mail for exceeding the dimensions limit. Sometimes they do slip through but there's a very high chance it will be returned.
Without the additional postage we will unfortunately not be able to dispatch this order sorry.

Disappointed I am! 

And somehow I do not think my bank will refund me the 3% foreign transaction fee on my credit card, ah well...

Although I've had mainly very pleasant experiences with Hattons over the years, this disappointing response from Uncle Dick is really  not good enough. 

I do know that in Australia there may be avenues to file complaints against this type of sales practice however am not sure what international customers rights are for purchases made in the U.K? 

You see what both Uncle and I have done is purchased goods online and have chosen the applicable postage price offered by Hattons. To then charge the customers card and then ask for another 20-30 quid is downright bad sales practice. 

Should we both cancel we will loose in credit card fees and most probably a worse exchange rate without any Victor kit in our hands to show for it!! 

Surely - Hattons are responsible for their actions! 

To those lucky UK buyers who are able to take advantage of Hattons prices - there may be more Victors reappearing on Hattons selves soon enough. Poor Uncle Dick meanwhile is not e even sure if he will get one of his two ordered! 

Rant over.... Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Dick said:

Sorry to hear that Simon, and Dave I hope you do not receive the same email: for anyone that wants an extra Victor from Hattons I would watch their stock today as my second Victor that I purchased and they say they cannot ship for the shipping price originally charged after having shipped the first will likely reappear for sale on their site today.

Heres their latest reply:

Disappointed I am! 

And somehow I do not think my bank will refund me the 3% foreign transaction fee on my credit card, ah well...

Off topic, but related - several years ago I had to post two hard disks back to the manufacturer for a warranty replacement.  I packaged them up, took them to the local Post Office, and sent them Special Delivery (insured, tracked and signed for) to the RMA address in Germany.

Two days later they turned up at my house - Royal Mail had returned them to me because Special Delivery wasnt available on international parcels.

Would of thought that the Post Office would know that.  Would have thought that the Post Offices computer system wouldnt have allowed the purchase of that product on entry of a foreign postal code as proof of postage...

I had to go through the regulator to get my money back on that one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

You see what both Uncle and I have done is purchased goods online and have chosen the applicable postage price offered by Hattons. To then charge the customers card and then ask for another 20-30 quid is downright bad sales practice. 

Should we both cancel we will loose in credit card fees and most probably a worse exchange rate without any Victor kit in our hands to show for it!! 

My advice - don't cancel, instead issue a charge back through your credit card citing the post-purchase increase in fees over those advertised as fraudulent.

Because thats what they are - fraudulent.

A charge back should get you 100% back, fees and all.  It will also hurt Hattons as it acts as a black mark on their merchant account. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RichardPrice said:

My advice - don't cancel, instead issue a charge back through your credit card citing the post-purchase increase in fees over those advertised as fraudulent.

Because thats what they are - fraudulent.

A charge back should get you 100% back, fees and all.  It will also hurt Hattons as it acts as a black mark on their merchant account. 

This site I have always found helpful :-

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

Dennis

• Like 3

Thanks Gents,

Did not know about charge back - good to know!

I do not think Hattons warrant such treatment as I do not think they have been trying to con me and they have served me well over the last 2 years apart from the same issues with shipping larger kits such as the Shack, Battle of Britain 75th Gift Set etc..

What is funny though is I checked the Royal Mail dimensions for a parcel up to 2 kg and I think the Victor box easily fits into those dimensions especially as Hattons do not put the big kits into a larger box for shipping but wrap them in cardboard and paper, Airfix state the Victor box dimensions are 

Dimensions (mm)  L486 x W508

and royal mail state max dimensions as

You can send parcels weighing up to 2kg(1) with a height plus width plus depth no greater than 90cm, with no single side longer than 60cm.

But try and argue that with Hattons!

Anyway not to worry I will source a Victor from another merchant maybe not as cheap but it definitely will not be from Hannants - I never buy Airfix kits from them anymore as they are the most expensive in price and shipping cost apart from buying directly from Airfix!

I trust you have better luck Dave

• Like 1

Dimensions (mm)  L486 x W508

height plus width plus depth no greater than 90cm

Err - doesn't this show the Airfix box does exceed the RM dimensions? L+W alone is 99.4 cm, and the depth is not zero, so.....

• Like 3

You're right there Kevin - for some reason I was concentrating on "no single side longer than 60cm"!

Never crossed my mind that that you have to add all 3 sides up H+W+D what a form of measure! and Airfix clearly do not provide the depth.

Might have to petition Airfix to keep their kit box sizes to a minimum (have you seen how much empty space there is in the B-17G box)?

Edited by Uncle Dick

4 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

I do not think Hattons warrant such treatment as I do not think they have been trying to con me and they have served me well over the last 2 years

I think that's the best way to look at it.

One bittersweet consolation might be that no-one will experience these P&P cost issues with Hattons anymore once they have stopped selling kits.....  whether that's an improvement or not is debatable.

Robert

Mine arrived from Hattons this morning (just two days after ordering) with no changes or demands for extra charge etc.

Very happy with their service.

I must admit I don't quite understand their postage pricing policy, they charge the same postage for the Jet Provost and the Victor!

I don't think you're going to lose out be just having the one kit now, I'm sure this will be issued under different boxing and feature in many sales in the future.

I agree with an earlier comment about box sizing, Airfix boxes are way bigger than the contents, maybe looks better on shelves, or to contain major built up parts of the kit during construction?

Edited by 71chally

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

I agree with an earlier comment about box sizing, Airfix boxes are way bigger than the contents, maybe looks better on shelves, or to contain major built up parts of the kit during construction?

Standardized one-size-fits-all maybe?

I have to say that the Victor is a pretty big chunk of plastic but agree that the box could be a bit smaller and nothing would get bent.

Regarding my missing kit - for which Hatton's of course have had the money, I of course e-mailed them and got a reply at around 8.20am the next day apologising for the error and saying she was going to refer the matter to their logistics team or whatever and they would post me another one free of charge (bad choice of words on their part, I have already paid !) and I e-mailed back to ask them to confirm when the second one was on its way and they replied to say they would - but I've heard nothing so far. So will I get Uncle Dick's cancelled order? Who knows but I wouldn't like to put money on it!! Having had a look at the one in my possession I have to say that it really does look exactly as it should and I bet Airfix won't be long in coming up with a  K2. I wonder if they'll do a B1? No reason why the can't with new intakes - I'm saying that based on the DB conversion for the Matchbox kit and now I'm wondering if the wing is a significantly different shape with the Sapphire installation? If its not a problem then Airfix could really clean up though.  

Simon

• Like 2

It is a beauty of a kit, the first state of the art kit I've seen from Airfix since their 1:48 Vixen and Lightning kits.

Some great touches in this kit, such as the wing tips in molded in clear to make it easier to represent the tip lights, the alternative ECM and standard tailcones, and the seven parts to make up a main undercarriage leg (15 with the wheels).  The designing of the intakes and splitters assembly alone must have been something else.

Plastic quality is superb and the surface detail is just so and very nicely rendered.

If Tamiya did a Victor I don't think it could be much better than this.

Like Simon I'm a ware of some of the detail differences between the B.1 & 2, but not the general ones, ie were the wings and the fuselage the same etc.

A subject for a dedicated thread?

I fancy doing the first prototype HP80 at some stage.

Getting back to Hattons, I have to say my kit was really nicely packed in a well fitting box and nice to see wrapped in parcel paper, makes a change from loose boxes rattling around in oversized plastic postage bags

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

A subject for a dedicated thread?

Since this thread went (and stayed) off topic pages ago, starting a dedicated and pinned "Airfix Victor" thread sounds like a great idea!

Anyone to take the initiative?

Robert

1 hour ago, RobertF said:

Since this thread went (and stayed) off topic pages ago, starting a dedicated and pinned "Airfix Victor" thread sounds like a great idea!

Anyone to take the initiative?

Robert

15 pages of Victor goodness to be found here! 

DAG058,

yes, that might be a good starting point for a thread dedicated to facts and characteristics of the Victor in general and building the Airfix kit in particular (like the Lynx and Spitfire threads) as both 71chailly and I suggest, provided we all/the moderator remove(s) all the off-topic posts in the current thread, which seems to take up a large part of the 15 pages ( a.o. the "Phantom chatter").

Maybe starting a new decidated thread is less work and more clear to everyone....

Either way, Victor thread forward!

Robert

• Like 1

Basically the wings and fuselage of the two versions were the same, away from the centre-section and the engines.  There's a considerable increase in span because the Conways required more airflow, hence wider bays.  It isn't just the intakes.  There are of course other differences in detail: aerials, intakes, etc.  The K2 had clipped wings to reduce fatigue.  HP had a clever solution with tip tanks but the Ministry was refusing to provide new contracts to HP and Avro's took the easy (and quick) way out.

• Like 1