Churchill Mk VII early - updated Tamiya classic

This is a Tamiya 1/35 Churchill Mk VII backdated to an early WW2 era tank. The changes were removing the high bustle (post war) commanders hatch, and scratchbuilding a low bustle hatch. Removing the armour plate on the intake covers and adding the lifting lugs, removing the front and center section fenders, replacing all handles and tiedown loops with brass wire and strip, making periscope covers from brass strip, tow cable from fine solder and paint with Tamiya acrylics and wethering with oils and pastels.

Hope you like,

Colin

Image1_zps87muud6c.jpg

2135014_MkVII_-_Crocodile_28129_zpschxhy

Image5_zpsb0n3zn5k.jpg

2135014_MkVII__zpsc5o1lrsu.jpg

Image13_zpsiy2n0jru.jpg

Image11_zpsrwv4mlso.jpg

Image15_zpsqbsmu2oa.jpg

2__zpsexnek7eu.jpg

• Like 22

A lovely tidy build, and nicely painted! The retro-fitting is excellent. And as mentioned earlier, some nice period photos. I shall definitely be looking at them again when I build my second Mk VII

Rearguards,

Badder

• 1 month later...

Another good tune being played on an old fiddle. Just shows what can be done with some of these old kits. I like the paint job and subtle weathering also. Strangely enough, although I'm a Brit/Commonwealth fan, I've never built a Churchill but I am tempted to get one of the AFV Club kits or the Tamiya kit and one of Chris Meddings excellent conversions.

John.

An absolutely brilliant rendition of the Churchill.  I've always had an interest in this tank since reading Mailed Fist by John Foley.  Great historical photos btw.

14 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

An absolutely brilliant rendition of the Churchill.  I've always had an interest in this tank since reading Mailed Fist by John Foley.  Great historical photos btw.

God, that takes me back. I read my grandad's copy when I was a lad. Also 'Death of a Regiment'.

Fantastic model Colin - you've really improved the old kit, which is still one of my favourites. Nice use of the IWM photos too - note the various marks of Churchill.

5 minutes ago, IanC said:

God, that takes me back. I read my grandad's copy when I was a lad. Also 'Death of a Regiment'.

Fantastic model Colin - you've really improved the old kit, which is still one of my favourites. Nice use of the IWM photos too - note the various marks of Churchill.

Yep, read my Dad's copy sometime in the 70s.  I've re-read it a couple of times since.  Still have the copy although a few pages are loose.  I have two main memories from the book.  One where, after they have been knocked out by a Tiger and losing his co-driver in the process they go back to examine their tank later and he discovers that the entry and exit points of the 88mm shell show that it should have passed right through him but somehow it went around him!   The other was the liberated cigar factory in Bergen Op Zoom, chiefly because I got lost there while driving to Amsterdam for New Year's Eve once.