HP Hasting C5

Hi all

Long time no post. Anyway I built the Historic Wings Hasting for the 80th Anniversary display on the BC SIG table at Telford this last weekend. Nothing major about the build other than I didn't get a canopy with mine and it's only the third vac form kit I've made. I pinched the undercarriage from a new Revell Halifax, not 100% accurate but better than the kit offerings. I had to make the H2S blister from scratch using the plans in the Warpaint book to guide me, I used car body filler and 10thou card to form the shape. When it came to the canopy I had assistance from a Mr George Munro who crash moulded me one using his kit as a template, cheers George. It was supposed to be painted silver but that was far too bright so I painted it Aluminium and matted that down to a dull finish, again not 100%. The decals were going to be a nightmare as the roundles were cracked so they had to come from spares. I was sure the window decals would be the same but surprise surprise they worked fine. Finished as TG521 of the Bomber Command Bombing School at RAF Lindholme.  Altogether it took me about 12 months on and off to get it done but I'm happy with the end result. Sorry there's only the one picture.

20161113_075722_zps8q65qorx.jpg

Regards

Paul

Edited by Honeybee
More info
  • Like 45

Do you mind me popping these here Paul

The very first aeroplane on the Bomber Command table to take my eye was this one, two flights in Hastingses at RAF Colerne in 1962 gave the dear old thing a major place in my affections

Yours looks just right so I took a couple

this one from ahead

P1110640.jpg

This from a similar place to yours

P1110639.jpg

and this showing how prominent she was in the flight line

P1110638.jpg

shone for me even in such august company

If you wish I can pull these out of course

love this model, I don't do much 'big stuff' but this I'd have like a shot

bill

• Like 7

Superb,.....love the Hastings and you`ve done a cracking job on yours. I`ve got the vacform  and one day it will be built as one of the aircraft from the Suez drop complete with underslung Jeeps!

The Comber Command display looks awedome by the way and your 1066 Sqn Hastings really does add a lot to it,

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Paul, it's a view we often forget that usually shows the model 'as aircraft' better than the down from above we always get

Certainly does with the H2S on the Hastings

Great undercart configuration too

Really reminds me of being a tiny somewhat overawed cadet who was about to embark on one of the noisiest excitingest moments in his young life

We had to muster on the hard standing edge across from the Hastings before being cleared to march across round the port wingtip

And got a very good view of the monumental architecture of the beast, then inside we practically had to haul ourselves up that steep hill to our seats

I got to sit over the spar next to the exit window

Happy days, thanks for the reminders

Like Perdue I've been lucky enough to fly in a Hastngs, TG517, now preserved at Newark.  There's a picture of her wearing he early silver-and-yellow Training Command colours in the 1968(?) edition of Putnam's "aircraft of the Royal Air Force" which is the scheme I intend to model.  '517 also wore at least one iteration of Coastal Command's grey and white schemes during her service with 202 Squadrn but I haven't managed to rediscover her individual identity letter whilst with this unit.

That looks great, I'd love a decent & affordable Hasting kit to do a Kiwi one, I had hopes for the Aims one but not now at the price they are & our (albeit slightly stronger) dollar. I reckon they're a great looking aircraft as your model shows off so well & I agree with others, it more than holds its end up on that rather superb looking table display. ( gonna get there oneday. :) )

Steve.