1/72 AZmodel Hurricane Mk. IID w/40mm Gun

Bit of a boring entry I'm afraid as the scheme is quite well known and done umpteen times by modelers.  I never managed to do this scheme funny enough, on the plan and never executed.  With Christmas fast approaching and taking up time, a Hurri is a model I should have a good chance completing... and it has those big cannons.  Although it is an AZmodel brand and the last one I built didn't exactly go smoothly :unsure:

31067207265_c8ffa06c07_b.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to see one of these,......a MTO GB wouldn`t be the same without one!!! I built one recently and apart from a little flash it was excellent, so enjoy yourself and we`ll be ragging along for a gander!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Boring? No way! It's a Hurricance with two big guns under the wings.

I'll be following because I've got one of these in the stash and want to see how they go together.

Edited by Beard
to change punctuation.
  • Like 4

Don't agree with the boring comment, i have a mk4 Hurri with 40mm cannon, produced by AZ, so will be watching with interest, a quick question, what colour will you be doing the cockpit, interior green or grey!!.

Good luck with the build, will be watching with interest.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the encouragement.  Progress has already slowed down because of the amount of sanding and filing I'm having to do... I keep seeing flash every time I look at the parts. At one point I had to double-check it wasn't a resin kit ;)  Still haven't completed it as the parts fit really is off.  Good job my last build was an AZmodel as at least I'm in an appropriate frame of mind to work with the kit.  I have started putting some paint in the cockpit - grey green so it could look green... or grey... depending on the lighting conditions ^_^  I'll look at it again when it's time to assemble the fuselage.

31006467981_225a15856e_b.jpg

• Like 2

I'm going to have to join the "not boring" club. Nothing wrong with a Hurricane with two big guns strapped underneath it!  I'll be following this with much interest as I have the 3D-Kits conversion somewhere. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thanks again guys B)

Not much in the way of progress I'm afraid.  Fuselage halves fitted together reasonably well.  Wings was the opposite as the fit is terrible and required a lot of filing and sanding.  I decided to fit the lower wing first to the fuselage and then adjust the upper wing half accordingly as it seemed easier to do it in this order. One thing to mention is, quite a few kits have the landing gear wells as a separate part.  Sometimes the part is too tall and can result in preventing a good fit between lower wing and fuselage.  I sanded down the top as a precaution and it was a good decision as the part just squeezed in.

Landing lights aren't featured in the moulding and you can see I've made an attempt to install my own.  This may be a bit too ambitious as I'm not very good at filing in a straight line.  I did wish AZmodel or Legato moulded some marker lines to indicate where the lights should be cut out or painted silver.  Would have made it easier... or perhaps this isn't the point of the kit ;) All in all, still a fair amount of tidying up before I can move onto the main task of painting :viking:

31157426601_df1817504b_b.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good Knight Flyer, would building the top and bottom wing together before fitting to the fuselage mean less filler, will have to check my kit for the landing light positions.

Good work

ATB

Jim

• Like 1

On 11/27/2016 at 8:48 PM, dieselweasel said:

Looking good Knight Flyer, would building the top and bottom wing together before fitting to the fuselage mean less filler, will have to check my kit for the landing light positions.

Good work

ATB

Jim

It could mean less filler, in my case I wasn't confident the gap between the top wings would be wide enough for the fuselage.  A bit of sanding to widen it would probably work to allow a snug fit.  I did it the other way as I felt I had more control in getting the parts to fit.  The lights are a tad out on my model.  I was using a Warpaint 1/72 plan to cut out the apertures and didn't quite get it right.  Overall the dimensions of the model appear to fit the Warpaint plan, forward fuselage is slightly on the narrow side but it will do.  Undercart parts look like they could be a problem and shall be using the plan again.

Knight Flyer, your solution seems to have worked well, I have two Mk 4 Hurricanes, one with rockets and one with 40 mm canon, so any tips you can give would be much appreciated, looking forward to seeing this with paint on, what markings will you be using or will you be using the kits decals.

ATB

Jim

12 minutes ago, dieselweasel said:

Knight Flyer, your solution seems to have worked well, I have two Mk 4 Hurricanes, one with rockets and one with 40 mm canon, so any tips you can give would be much appreciated, looking forward to seeing this with paint on, what markings will you be using or will you be using the kits decals.

ATB

Jim

Me too, considering the snail's pace I'm moving at ;)  I'll use the kit decals and it's the scheme you see in the box art.

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE 1939-1945: HAWKER HURRICANE.. © IWM (CM 4954)IWM Non Commercial Licence

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA, 1939-1943.. © IWM (CM 4955)IWM Non Commercial Licence

I'm not convinced the 'Z' is red, compare to  the fin flash,  possibly Night?

note that the IId's in the film here do not have landing lights,  but are plated over.

also

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1500.0

note the  IId at the Soviet test centre only has a light in the port wing

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-02-680x6

as does the MkIV preserved in Belgrade

neat work on the  kit.

cheers

T

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should ask that :viking:  It's moved on... a bit.  Cannons and undercart without wheels attached along with tail planes.  Tail planes was easy and the others far from.  Aside from the sanding/filing, there are no "guides" on the styrene to help attach the parts in the correct position.  Gear leg was a tad too long and trimmed a little off, doors are a bad fit but it will do.  The cannons took ages to find the best location as no matter where I positioned them, they didn't seem to match photos of the real plane.  I think they may be the incorrect shape and any one building this kit to look for after market replacements.  Prop is temporarily there to ensure I didn't place the cannons too inward otherwise the blades will be in the line of fire :mg:  However, the worst part to fit was the tropical filter - it doesn't conform to the fuselage at all.  Sanding would help but it appears I wasn't in the "zone" as couldn't get the right shape out of it.  Next stage is a session of gap filling and hopefully onto painting soon after.

...also pre-Christmas stuff to get out of the way :frantic:

31400380611_a0b5ca5ab9_b.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the reply Knight Flyer, there are replacement barrels for the Cannons i think, not sure about the guns themselves. did you position the guns by the mk one eyeball or did you take pot luck, either way they look right, looking forward to the next installment.

ATB

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Painting has begun - just.  I think time is running out and this week being busy for Christmas not looking good for completing the model.  Will try to do the best I can to finish, already accepted it's going to be a rush job if I got there... but the kit was fighting me right from the start :boxing:  With hindsight, good idea to do a "small" kit in the time available but should have done a shake and bake one.

Not entirely sure about the colour I painted as it looks like a Hurri captured and repainted by the Afrika Korps :unsure:

31604044421_3c7d183a60_b.jpg

• Like 2

More painting done and as predicted, very sloppy work and very slow progress.  The one consolation is the build isn't that brilliant anyway... even now the prop and spinner was fighting me with a poor fit... may as well accept the quality for what it is.  Time really is limited as tomorrow is out for Christmas stuff and Saturday not looking too free either.  I think the next posting will be a decision as to whether it be completed by the deadline or not...

30971407684_7b6a46325b_b.jpg

• Like 2

After spending most of last night between wrapping presents and working on the model - it's finally done.  Quite possibly the worst model building experience I've had to now.  Moral of the story and perhaps a 2017 resolution is not to enter a GB too late.  It's good to complete the model (any model in fact B)) but, can't help thinking the quality of build could have been better with more time to work on it.

Final comments - the exhaust stubs are a poor fit and the decals are crap both for print quality and adhesion.  Landing lights I left on just to see the result of my modification - can always paint over them if the "inaccuracy" starts bothering me.  The kit itself is typical short run East European and a lot dinosaur than the AZmodels AH-1 Cobra I built.  Unless you enjoy modifying a kit a lot, probably best to go for a Hasegawa or Airfix Hurri even if they have significant errors.

31695205032_603cc7e68f_b.jpg

• Like 1

Knight Flyer that looks brilliant, even with the poor fit of components, hope mine turn out half as good as yours, whats next on the build list!!.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Jim