Jump to content

Airfix Spitfire Vb 1/48


Dave N
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All-

           It's the new tool Airfix 1/48 scale Vb. I was looking forward to this build alot but it turned into a bit of a 'mare...

             I used Montex masks for the first time, and it turns out I'm not clever enough to operate them...

         I  had seperate 3 attempts, and made a right mess of the paintwork. The u/c legs didn't work for me at all, in the end I was flailing, more or less just throwing glue at the model...lol. I was still gluing the port leg back on for the millionth time during the photos, despite using a whole can of Foul Language..ah well, lessons learned..

 

 

 

"Corporal! ... you know the regs on parking 1/48 aircraft in the 1/72 maintenance sheds!"

 

 

16jiidx.jpg

 

 

acfq0x.jpg

 

 

mujqe.jpg

 

 

2e34thf.jpg

 

 

1zd0p60.jpg

 

 

14szg3r.jpg

 

 

dcczty.jpg

 

 

35a69dt.jpg

 

 

2nswdwk.jpg

 

 

2edcehi.jpg

 

  Thanks for watching,  

                                       Dave

Edited by Dave N
  • Like 39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave N said:

Hi All-

           It's the new tool Airfix 1/48 scale Vb. I was looking forward to this build alot but it turned into a bit of a 'mare...

             I used Montex masks for the first time, and it turns out I'm not clever enough to operate them...

         I  had seperate 3 attempts, and made a right mess of the paintwork. The u/c legs didn't work for me at all, in the end I was flailing, more or less just throwing glue at the model...lol. I was still gluing the port leg back on for the millionth time during the photos, despite using a whole can of Foul Language..ah well, lessons learned..

 

 

 

"Corporal! ... you know the regs on parking 1/48 aircraft in the 1/72 maintenance sheds!"

 

 

 

This has come out really well Dave,  if you moved the  model forward a bit it wouldn't look like 72nd, and I was impressed at how good  the hangar looked, if you'd  not mentioned the scale it I would not have noticed!

Too often on here I see great models not displayed  to their best , posed on scruffy cutting mats or oo small bits  of paper,   this  has really added to your display!

 

The UC legs are badly designed,  but this has been discussed here on several occasions,basically they need to be pre drilled and pinned.

a couple of other minor points, neither of which are too do  with you, but may help others,  the kit decals have prop blade stencils from the warbird BM297,  not seen on wartime planes, and Airfix got the shape of the De Havilland spinner wrong, it's a bit too long, about the only real  accuracy glitch with the kit.

 

You may see 'imperfections' but the markings really look  superb, and the careful photography and background really show this off to it's  full advantage.

cheers

T

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 1/72 Wurger was quite a sight and now working in 1/48 scale you make me want to ask if the pictures were taken at Duxford.

Can't somebody stop this guy before my eyes pop out!

 

Greeaaat job!

 

Buzby, I've got the same as Dave underway and after the parts were off the sprues I just looked twice at the main gear assembly and quickly decided to make it with the gear up. Too shy, shy....

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's great work Dave.

 

I use Montex masks from time to time and found its best to try and use your own system rather than follow the their instructions but they are worth persevering with.

 

Those exhausts look very realistic, how did you go about them. They're an area of my own modelling that really needs improving.

 

well done

 

James

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for all the positive comments guys, they are much appreciated!

 

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

 

This has come out really well Dave,  if you moved the  model forward a bit it wouldn't look like 72nd, and I was impressed at how good  the hangar looked, if you'd  not mentioned the scale it I would not have noticed!

Too often on here I see great models not displayed  to their best , posed on scruffy cutting mats or oo small bits  of paper,   this  has really added to your display!

 

The UC legs are badly designed,  but this has been discussed here on several occasions,basically they need to be pre drilled and pinned.

a couple of other minor points, neither of which are too do  with you, but may help others,  the kit decals have prop blade stencils from the warbird BM297,  not seen on wartime planes, and Airfix got the shape of the De Havilland spinner wrong, it's a bit too long, about the only real  accuracy glitch with the kit.

 

You may see 'imperfections' but the markings really look  superb, and the careful photography and background really show this off to it's  full advantage.

cheers

T

 

 

    Thanks for the info Troy. Now you mention it, of course there are no prop stencils on wartime Spitfires-still, I suppose it adds a bit of interest to the front end of the model...   hadn't noticed the spinner shape either- until you mentioned it...

   I was pinning the u/c legs and got a (too short) metal pin stuck in one of the holes, leaving a very weak joint on one side..

    Why they would choose a method like that is beyond me. Someone needs to speak sharply to the design dept!

         The "hangar" btw , is what you see in the shot. I made it for my last build, a 1/72 Fw 190 and there isn't another mill

   to be had from the shot- hence the rather cramped feel in these pics...pull back anymore and it's my kitchen table!

 

18 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

I can smell the fuel and the oil.....fantastic absolute realistisch!

 

Andy 

 Hey Andy!- thanks for stopping by.  

 

13 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely work.

 

I've got the Mk I on the go & scratched my head at the mainwheel assembly. Whatever prompted Airfix to engineer them like that I'll never know.

 

Pete

 

   I agree Pete. It's unbelievable. Whoever signed off on that needs to be held accountable :)

 

13 hours ago, PattheCat said:

The 1/72 Wurger was quite a sight and now working in 1/48 scale you make me want to ask if the pictures were taken at Duxford.

Can't somebody stop this guy before my eyes pop out!

 

Greeaaat job!

 

Buzby, I've got the same as Dave underway and after the parts were off the sprues I just looked twice at the main gear assembly and quickly decided to make it with the gear up. Too shy, shy....

    Pat- thanks for your comment !   LOL

 

10 hours ago, franky boy said:

That's great work Dave.

 

I use Montex masks from time to time and found its best to try and use your own system rather than follow the their instructions but they are worth persevering with.

 

Those exhausts look very realistic, how did you go about them. They're an area of my own modelling that really needs improving.

 

well done

 

James

   

   Thank you James.  I think you're right about the masks- I nearly binned this model but I can see how they add a lot when done properly.

   The exhausts were first painted silver. Then built up in layers with a mix of (Tamiya) Gold leaf, Bronze, and Flat blue.

    Finished with a coat of Alclad gloss.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...