*COMPLETE* 1/72 Wessex 60

milktrip

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all very much.

I'm now back at work but managed to get the primer, pre-shade and the white sprayed on.  when I return, the red and blue will be next then all the other bits.

31807545345_cb629a6012_z.jpg

31121254313_b6543a6490_z.jpg

31583248870_c7da482234_z.jpg

31808883462_3781c0e188_z.jpg

thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 2

Thank you very much guys,

Thanks Bill, the S-61N has been sat in pretty much the same place since the start of this last years KUTA...  I did a little bit of painting, fit the undercarriage then removed it as it was in the wrong place.  I'll push on with the Wessex then see about jumping back on board the 61.

Red & blue now sprayed.  My masking wasn't the greatest (especially when spraying the red) some small gaps here and there so random sections of red (pink actually) on the lower part of the fuselage, The blue was slightly better but still some areas that require touch up. Its surprisingly difficult to mask a perfectly straight line?! Camo seems a lot easier.  Pleased with how it looks though.  However,  I was a bit concerned with the red initially as I tried something different this time; instead of spraying everything white, the undercoat was grey.  As a result the red was more of a wine colour but with the blue now on it seems to work (adds a bit of a weathered / worn look to the paint).  The blue is naturally glossy so when all the painting is complete and the gloss applied the red should hopefully brighten up a bit only for me to tone it back again with some semi-gloss. anyway, enough of my ramblings...

31975100500_5c96b6f688_z.jpg

thanks for looking

Aaron

• Like 6

Almost, I say almost, a pity the blue isn't as (I dunno how to put it) real looking as the red

I see that tired and ready for its pension look on lots of these red white and blue birds but the blue just b'ainta playing ball, as you say when the top varnishes are on it will all pull together though

(In the middle, OK end of a Wessex build it may be heretical to say it but that S61 looks really nice)

Go Aaron go, Walter looks darned enticing

On this I actually like the preshading work although that's akin to giving up a place at the bar to a stranger, very unlike me at all

:)

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

@perdu I know what you mean regards the blue.  However, my bristows 212 (G-BALZ) was with the same paints and after the Alclad semi-matte (think its semi-matte I use?!) it looks quite nice.  Still working on my pre-shade technique; On my 212 the base coat was white then black for the pre-shade.  I had to apply more white for the red and blue areas.  This time round I used grey as the base and darker greys for the pre-shade (rather than black).  Works better in my opinion but I think for civvie schemes like this I should stick to white as a base coat but continue with greys for the pre-shade

@Colin W ha ha, I've already lined the two next to each other :D, couldn't resist. 

I do enjoy civvie schemes.

Anti-glare and other black areas painted, tyres etc.  However, painted dark grey rather than black.  Oleo struts attached and secured with 5 min epoxy.  Then some detail painting.  I tried touching up the overspray areas with the hairy stick but made it worse.  the photos don't show it but some sections of the white look very patchy and have a pink hue to it... I will try to use a steady hand and my air brush instead.  The long pitot / aerial thing on the port side has also bee attached and so begins the inclusion of other small sticky out bits, brake lines etc. Main & tail rotor also in the process of painting - just the grey to do so will plan that for when I attempt to touch up the patchy white sections.  Maybe get a gloss coat on this by the end of the week and possibly decals soon.

32400011405_856f8aea3c_z.jpg

photo edited as the original was rather dark

thanks for looking

• Like 6

cheers guys,

getting there, decals on.  A mix of S&M decals and spares.  The bristows logo from the S&M set as seen in the first photo, the font is a bit too thick compared to the photo of "G-ATSC" but no big deal.  The BP badges from another S&M set (older Bristow scheme).  The reg is made from individual letters from an RAF letter set and the stencils are a mish mash from my spares.  Shall apply another gloss coat to seal the decals and then some minor weathering (not much) then matt it all down :)  I can finally get rid of that shine, Bill. can't wait. 

32405797026_ccddfcccb9_z.jpg

a few extra stencils have been added since the above was taken.  I struggled to find a suitable "exhaust keep clear" so had to make do with what I had.

cheers

Aaron

• Like 5

Getting lovelier by the minute Aaron, did the EXHAUST KEEP CLEAR have the same lettering as the one in Mike's museum?

EXHAUST KEEP CLEAR

Maybe a home brew with white print in Times New Roman font on a red background might have done it

Am I being too anal again Aaron?

:(

Sorry

• Like 1

Thanks Bill,

I would imagine so but couldn't say for certain?  Good idea, but I know what I'm like so trying not to get too focused on the details for this build as I hope to finish a build within the GB time :) this would make 4 out of oh so many!

• Like 1

Looking good there Aaron. One reason I stay clear of pre-shading, a my airbrush skills fall far shorter than my full size spray skills. Plus I'm still to be convinced it looks better than a wash in the panel lines...

I purchased a bottle of Tamiya 'Panel Line Accent Colour (Brown)' out of curiosity, However it is spirit based so is leaving marks where I don't really want them! I'm thinking, I'll mix up some of my artists acrylic paint to do any line washes. 

Colin

Cheers Colin,

its certainly down to personal preference. I've seen an interesting technique on scalemates where the modeller used white liquid Tamiya primer and brushed what I would describe as a pattern similar to the hand painted artic camo on jaguars. 

Okay the pic didn't work. Here's a link to a BM post on what I mean

He would then apply the top colour over this. It made for interesting variations on the top colour. The final pieces looked fantastic, in my opinion, but it was larger scale so not sure if it would work on 1/72. 

I'm still thinking of doing some panel line shading, especislly after what Woody in the WWII on his Halifax build said about it restoring the rivet detail.

When the distemper wash came into effect sometime in '67, I was serving on 846 NAS at RNAS Culdrose where we did some experimental camo application. Paint on wash off, ha!  It didn't wash off so easilly. By the time they got to the Junglie Sea Kings it had been perfected, I think!

Colin

• Like 1

99.983% complete :D  only the cab windows to fill.  Shall get these done later today then get some photos using the booth.  My wife 30th birthday tomorrow, so weekend is busy busy busy so may be Monday before I get the photos taken.

32492357186_50da2fb39e_z.jpg

32533208445_445074f886_z.jpg

31689466804_ba26f0c072_z.jpg

32492357036_741c3b2b16_z.jpg

and one for Colin W

31721141463_f3ab4b3fb2_z.jpg

Its certainly over weathered as I would imagine that these were kept in pretty clean looking condition.  Certainly areas I can improve on and learnt a lot from this build (choice of primer colour).  Some damage to the white paint work near the front which was all my doing.  

cheers and thanks for looking

• Like 4