Beriev Be-10 Mallow (1/72 A-Model)

A man can never have too many flying boats in his collection. Here's what I've been doing to fill in time before aGolden Age group build on HyperScale starts in December.

For those that want some insight into the kit check out Ken Duffey's build of the same kit here on Britmodeller:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006699-beriev-be-10-mallow-172-scale-amodel-kit/&page=1

The kit goes together quite well for a limited run production, with a reasonable fit being achievable most of the time after some trimming and filing in places, particularly involving some thick flash here and there. But on the whole the fit is good once the parts are cleaned up. The kit appears to be CAD-designed, with possibly 3D printing of the masters. This gives design precision, but I suspect the use of epoxy or metal-coated epoxy tooling, which can warp slightly, may have resulted in flash in various openings where the mould halves have not quite sealed together.

I have to say however, that I am impressed with A-Model's recent kits (their DH.60 centre-float amphibian, which I recently bought, appears to be a gem). I also believe they are producing Modelsvit's kits too, as these are tooled in a very similar manner; and like A-Model, larger subjects need multi-part fuselages because of tool size limitations.

Anyway, here's where I'm up to - Essentially all of the major sub-assemblies are completed, and once I join the hull halves I hope to make finish things off reasonably quickly.

P1110538_zps1xy3csht.jpg

P1110539_zpsicdyqgxy.jpg

P1110540_zpseiyrjcam.jpg

P1110541_zpspngoddbw.jpg

P1110542_zps8rnmsvra.jpg

P1110543_zpst65wjdoa.jpg

P1110544_zpsedpt34x1.jpg

P1110545_zpsutogzrpj.jpg

P1110546_zps4bbowenh.jpg

• Like 6

Things generally went together quite well, and I'm glad I beefed up the locating ridges for engine/centre-wing assembly, as this served to hold the Amazing Sculpt filler (like Milliput) in place along the gap in this join line.

It was only after completing the airframe that I remembered the two side openings (auxiliary intakes?) in the engine nacelles that the kit has moulded in solid relief. Photos fail to reveal much about these, other than they seem to be open with the engines shut down and in flight. Of course, when I came to open mine, I was left with having to access everything from the outside, which made lining them with ducting and inserting a recessed grill, copied from Ken Duffey's Deka kit build (Ken knows more than me about Be-10's), a bit fiddly.

The kit's rear gun turret fails to capture the look of the real thing because the rotating gun mount is a fraction wider than the rear fuselage where it sits. If the real flying-boat had this arrangement the mount could not rotate. I made a vertical cut through the mount to narrow it a little and rejoined the halves, and added some plastic sheet to the rear to beef it up a bit. I also thinned the fuselage walls where the mount sits so that it would look as though the mount could rotate within the fuselage sides. It was necessary to make a small bulkhead to prevent see-through into the gunner's compartment around the sides of the mount. I also added the "roller-door" shutters that run in the gun slots.

P1110548_zps6ipvn7sr.jpg

P1110549_zpszidbgjos.jpg

P1110558_zpskdqnhfsd.jpg

P1110559_zpsqdsedxxy.jpg

P1110561_zpszc1wtnlk.jpg

P1110553_zpsd0mefnro.jpg

P1110552_zpsprffketj.jpg

P1110554_zpssq7orko2.jpg

P1110555_zps2skcdze9.jpg

P1110556_zps4pfbyu64.jpg

P1110551_zpslygpofuh.jpg

P1110563_zpsnfv3psfn.jpg

Almost ready to paint:

P1110565_zpsezz5fbrc.jpg

P1110564_zpsgg6p8anu.jpg

P1110566_zpsrg5ll27m.jpg

• Like 11

looks spot on that. I've started to get quite a liking for flying boats at the moment (though my collection is small at the moment, consisting only of a Do24T, BV222, Stranraer and a Walrus).

After seeing a few threads on this one though I'm quite tempted to pick one up (and the Trumpeter Be-6 I spotted on sale at my LMS this week).

Thanks to all above, glad you're finding it of interest and that it's whetting your appetites for buying and building your own Be-10. For Blastvader, here's a link to my Trumpeter Be-6 build:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000785-trumpeter-172-beriev-be-6/#comment-2325690

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, modelglue said:

Looking good, I wish I had "permission" to put this one in the stash. Maybe down the road I'll try again. Watching you will absolutely do for now though.

Christmas seems a good time to make a plea...

• Like 2

Thanks Pete, I decided to do the special scheme with lots of red bits, which i assume was applied for the public revelation of the type at the1961 Tushino Aviation Day, but I'm guessing as I can't read Russian. I've completed 75% of the red masking, but am calling it a night here in Auckland NZ at 10:30pm, and will hopefully finish the masking tomorrow so that I can spray the main remaining overall grey .

According to my refs... "For parade demonstration leading edges of Be-10 wings, tail unit and nose parts of engine nacelles were coloured red"

This was for 4 aircraft of the 318th OMPLAP over the river Neva, Leningrad, August 1961.

They also displayed at Tushino - where they were based on Lake Pleshcheyevo - from the grainy B&W photos, I can make out side number 28, 38 and 41.

They look very colourful - and presumably, very clean - should look greta.

I can't wait to see it Kiwi........

Ken

1 hour ago, Killingholme said:

Love the fact that such a huge flying boat has forward firing cannon!!

It's only copying the Short Sunderland - some versions of which had 4 fixed .303's on either side of the nose - fired by the pilot.

Still interesting though....

Ken

9 hours ago, Flankerman said:

According to my refs... "For parade demonstration leading edges of Be-10 wings, tail unit and nose parts of engine nacelles were coloured red"

This was for 4 aircraft of the 318th OMPLAP over the river Neva, Leningrad, August 1961.

They also displayed at Tushino - where they were based on Lake Pleshcheyevo - from the grainy B&W photos, I can make out side number 28, 38 and 41.

They look very colourful - and presumably, very clean - should look greta.

I can't wait to see it Kiwi........

Ken

Thanks Ken,

Nice to know. I have some photos and colour plans other than the kits, but could not determine where or when the scheme was worn.

Not quite Radders - the 'Parade' scheme had red leading edges to the wings, fin and tailplanes - I'm not too sure about the white planing surfaces though???

be-10_013.jpg

Here's a bigger scan of the HB painting guide - not the white bottom on the fuselage and floats....

be-10_032.jpg

Ken

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Not quite Radders - the 'Parade' scheme had red leading edges to the wings, fin and tailplanes - I'm not too sure about the white planing surfaces though???

If you advance to around 1:14 of this You Tube clip you can see the white or very light grey under-surfaces in this poor quality colour video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMoD2JWdTus

and these photos:

Be-10%201_zpsmhsm5xxp.jpg

Be-10%202_zpscjtrn7nl.jpg

Be-10%203_zpsdpg5kfpn.jpg

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
Fix photo links

Whenever I get round to buying and building mine (two very distinct phases that can sometimes be separated by decades), I'll go the plain-Jane route, but that scheme does look a treat!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1