A1-J Skyraider 1/32 Trumpeter

Suddensky

Evening,

I tried to start this thread a while ago, but managed to mess up the pictures, let's hope it all goes a bit better this time.

So after the Tamiya Spitfire I fancied something a little simpler so went for the venerable Hasegawa FW190-A5, which went together very nicely indeed:

DSC_0299_zpseqrb6oih.jpg

So after that I needed some inspiration regarding the next victim to be sacrificed on the alter of my ineptitude... I had some time, after all, Susan was away in 'Nam*... Well that was a pointer and it narrowed the choice down to an F100D - but I bought the Thunderbirds version and want to do a 'Nam aircraft, but need some pylons etc, which in theory I could get from the leftovers when I've built the F105D, but I've got the Hobbycraft boxing and the transfers are broken and there's no colour guide. That left just one option, so having confirmed the policy with my SpAd Frankie, I made a start.

*Yeah, about that... no, she's not been running missions out of Da Nang, although she was in 'Nam... that is to say Chelt'nam... yes, she was at the literary festival.

DSC_0295_zpsxvwockqa.jpg

That's right, it's two Spads together... 

Having gone through the usual pre-choice process of fondling plastic and looking at instructions, I headed full bore for the toilet bomber... I mean seriously, they give you a proper loo to build (parts 13 and 15)!

DSC_0302_zpsklurqwha.jpg

It was only after I'd made the decision to build, that I realised that the markings for the bog-bomber were not included in this version, sad times indeed. I'll still be going for a Navy aircraft, partly to escape having to do another SEA USAF scheme, and also because the oil leaks and weathering shows up so well on the white and grey.

So on we go... as usual, it starts with the really exciting stuff... yup, a stack of control surfaces. Don't worry, I won't bore you with a picture of that.

So how about the engine? Plenty of bits:

DSC_0303_zpsrqtggk0q.jpg

Which build up pretty nicely. I thought I'd try to add some wires and pipes, so had a quick scout online to look at some pics... now that is one huge hunk of metal, and the oft cited fact that this aircraft could carry the same ordnance load as a B-17 is astounding. 

DSC_0315_zpsws2lptbs.jpg

DSC_0316_zpsu5cnvfnu.jpg

A combination of Vallejo Dull Aluminium and various shades of black, rust and weathering.

I kind of think that I can assemble and paint the main airframe before attaching the engine, I think this will negate the necessity for masking it as I might have a couple of panels open which could prove a bit of a hassle.

So on with the cockpit then... And some pretty spurious colouring on the buttons, particularly when one looks at the real thing and sees that they are all black, oh well, it'll show up well...

DSC_0314_zpsacny01z8.jpg

Next up the IP. Now for the last few years I've had a real problem with Trumpeter's IPs. One is provided with a plain flat back panel, a great transfer of the dials to set against it, and then a solid transparent part which is in effect the whole IP. Now I've never managed to figure this out, I've tried to paint around the dials; disastrous. I've tried to drill out the dials to show the transfer of the dials; really disastrous. I've tried to put the transfer over the transparent part... best not mentioned at all. 

But this time I had an inspiration... I dropped Maskol into the recessed dials and painted the whole thing black. Managed to lift out the Maskol and then clean up the clear bits with a toothpick... the results? Well you can be the judge, but I don't think it came out too badly at all:

DSC_0311_zpsimdt5bff.jpg

Well that's about all for now. I've got a stack of work on for the next week, but then Susan's away for Singapore for a week and then Delhi for a week, so that should be a fortnight of pure plastic fun, without having to watch any dancing/singing/jungle etc. So hopefully more to follow soon.

Thanks for looking,

Peter

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well I really thought that I would have this one wrapped up by now, so that I could begin my Sturmovik on skis with the phrase 'Winter is coming...'

However a nearly month without laying a finger on plastic has put me way behind schedule so in reality I don't think this will be finished until next year.

So I carried on with the cockpit, starting with the PE seatbelts supplied with the kits, they're fiddly little devils, and how anyone does this sort of thing in 1/48, let alone 1/72 is beyond me.

DSC_0304_zps7ncvyqgx.jpg

Complete with the ever-present danger of the lurking dog hair.

Made a seat back cushion of Miliput and put everything together with a bit of dark dirt wash:

DSC_0317_zpsqoewv9vf.jpg

DSC_0318_zpssueurs9v.jpg

DSC_0319_zpsgkk0phcq.jpg

And then stuck everything together:

DSC_0327_zps1xswsmih.jpg

DSC_0328_zpsvpcdt7us.jpg

The original half-formed plan was to put a load of detailing in to the space between the firewall and the back of the engine, and make some panels out of a Coke can which would be left open. But after having it untouched on the bench for nearly a month, I sort of lost heart for doing that and now just want to push on with things, so closed up it will be.

I was then exiled to Southsea for a night, so took the ordnance and some basic tools with me and got the stores all made up and ready for paint.

9AA574C8-0CE6-4E25-A901-48BC1860FC7C_zps

Not sure about the veracity of the loadout, but I think it'll look pretty fearsome, I really like these things all loaded for bear. I really, really wanted to use the loo, but I'll save that for another time.

1FE535DE-5C8A-4479-8558-0486D9BBDDD9_zps

Made a start on getting the fuselage together, I initially thought that all those bulkheads were a bit over engineered, but it turns out that they do lend a fair bit of strength and rigidity to the whole thing. 

DSC_0333_zpsxfrumlwm.jpg

Since then I've made a bit more progress, got the fuselage joined and the wings glued together, I'll take some snaps and do another post a bit later, but in the meantime, thanks for looking.

Regards,

Peter

• Like 2