Wessex HAS3 XP150 - 406 HMS Antrim Flight 78/80

perdu

Perdu - I feel your pain (ref the yellow) - as you can see in my thread, I have had a similar week to you with the "Yellow Peril"  - clearly the most vile colour ever to be used by modellers. I tried using Tamiya Yellow as an undercoat followed by Xtracolour X019 (cr@b Rescue Yellow) - but I could not get the mixture right for spaying & reverted to brush painting.

Anyway - please keep up with the posts on your cracking build

Thanks fights, I will be finishing the monster yellow

I've decided that generally acrylics just don't work for meso I'm going back to the future with enamels

I understand enamels so that is just how its gotta be

Paint should arrive this week then I'll get it done

B

• Like 1

I am also using the Xtracolour RAF yellow for my HAR 2 - as I read somewhere that is a better match than the Xtracrylix. I agree that it is a pain to paint with. I am about to put on a third coat and the panel lines are beginning to get obscured.

Mick

• Like 2

Ifyou look at my HAR2 over at the start of my thread youll see the damage Extracolor Yellow did to mine

Frankly I'll never use that again either

The pigments are not carried well in the varnish base

I hope the new Sovereign paints yellow is better but yellow is a notoriously bad colour in any medium

Iam considering using a light orange misting under this later before I colour it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Ifyou look at my HAR2 over at the start of my thread youll see the damage Extracolor Yellow did to mine

Frankly I'll never use that again either

The pigments are not carried well in the varnish base

I hope the new Sovereign paints yellow is better but yellow is a notoriously bad colour in any medium

Iam considering using a light orange misting under this later before I colour it

Will you be brushing the yellow on?

Hopefully PF will get them to you soonest, I take it Sovereign are acrylic because I thought enamels were far too explosive to be carried by the said delivery firm, in fact I am surprised they are allowing the extremely hazardous water based paint! I agree about yellow, I used to use a trusty Halfords one to provide the best coverage, unfortunately I cant get them over this side of the pond and auto paints over here aren't designed for the concerning modeler. I'm just glad I am now committed to a 1:48 Canberra with a stripy underside, black and yellow! Nothing will go wrong with that eh!

Bob

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Hopefully PF will get them to you soonest, I take it Sovereign are acrylic because I thought enamels were far too explosive to be carried by the said delivery firm, in fact I am surprised they are allowing the extremely hazardous water based paint! I agree about yellow, I used to use a trusty Halfords one to provide the best coverage, unfortunately I cant get them over this side of the pond and auto paints over here aren't designed for the concerning modeler. I'm just glad I am now committed to a 1:48 Canberra with a stripy underside, black and yellow! Nothing will go wrong with that eh!

Bob

Hi Bob,

They're enamel, but Parcelforce are in fact the only UK postal company who seem to have a sufficiently joined-up thinking process to get a contract to post enamels. Our factory sends paint to us via another courier all above board, but we can't get past the phone drones at said courier company to get as far as them agreeing to package test our consignments of the same liquids they happily delivered to us.

We've tried them all. Royal Mail even has a contradiction on their own prohibited and restricted items lists, which their dangerous goods "expert" tried to clarify to mean as being interpreted to mean water based oil paints. Water based oil paints huh Mrs DG Advisor? My mother thought I was arrogant when I was young. Rather, I sometimes wonder if I'm living in a reality TV show where people I have to liaise with are all actors paid to come out with the most demonstrably daft statements to see how far I can be pushed before I crack up like Basil Fawlty thrashing his car with a stick. I must say it amuses me no end to think that big companies have some subject matter expert on the payroll to decide on behalf of the company what does or does not pose a technical safety and loss prevention risk to their business, when said "expert" does not spot the oxymoron that is a water based oil paint! I mean what kind of person can be trusted to understand what a flashpoint means in the context of air travel at lower density altitude who doesn't know that water and hydrocarbons are immiscible and at best form scummy emulsions?

/Rant over :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, perdu said:

Oh god I hope not Jamie

I'm wondering if a priming coat in a light buff or cream hue will be necessary, well see, if Parcelfarce ever get them here. :)

If it's spraying on, then an undercoat of matt anything will suffice to do it in a couple of passes. I'd suggest a light grey would do the trick.

• Like 1

I used a white base for the Vallejo

Not pleased with that I tells ye

Finally got a PF tracking info today when I checked Jamie, posted 10th up in the frozen north

Out for delivery at last this am 15th from a depot in Coventry

Not very great for a service labelled Parcel force 48, in my opinion

And they're not here yet in Sutton Cofield.

Oh well,the day is young...

I'll give the yellow a light undercoat of grey Jamie, thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1

Is that so? Can you drop us a mail and I'll complain to them again.

Parcelforce has a fairly liberal policy on 48 hours - they define it to mean 48 hours on working days (Mon-Fri) starting from when a paid for / posted package reaches their first depot.

They still charge me £11 a go though so I'm happy to give them grief. If they can't do it cheaper they can at least do it fast.

• Like 1

Hi Jamie, good news sir

Parcel arrived this afternoon sometime after 13.20 hrs which was when I had to take my grandchildren back to Nottingham

Signed for by next door neighbour which was fine with me

They said on the tracking app that they collected it on 10/02/2017 

I can say that I'm very happy with the condition of and packaging of the parcel, thanks and I'm sorry if it seems I would give you any grief over the delivery.

Not my style, I'm glad we can still get paint delivered

I'll be trying it out soon, but not tonight.   ;)

• 6 months later...

I don't know a: if I can add to this item or not

b: if anyone's watching

But I intend finishing this sad little beastie

I'll begin a short Work, suspended but now In Progress over in the main WIP area tonight

Hopefully with photographs...