Wessex HAS3 XP150 - 406 HMS Antrim Flight 78/80

perdu

Nice scratch building! I'm never sure about casting resin parts unless I'm sure I'm going to do more than one. But I guess you have the insurance of being able to make another one easily if the first one goes pear-shaped. The Matchbox kit seems a much better start for the interior than the Frog kit because you get the basic walls and celinig.

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers chaps, I like to make a casting because I'm likely to make a Horlix of at least one before I get it right

Then like now if I dont (yet) its only cost me a few bob so far

And I can still fall back on another if I needs to

Does anyone have a picture of the full canvas screen that sits round the dunking sonar well please

I have found one of part of the screen in place but I just cannot see another such useful pic anywhere, not even in the BM walkarounds

I'd rather get it right than just guess which might find an expert having a chuckle at my naivety later at a show

:(

I know vanity, it'll see me off yet I'll be bound...

OK a picture of the first mockup, which survived inspection with some later amendements

You'll see

The removable floor unit in which I'm putting together the sonar rig and the radar display unit with the screen round some of the basic rig uprights

Mick the pictures have been already found to be brilliant thanks

P1110733.jpg

yellowey grey waterproofed oilskinny  stuff painted black later (not yet obviously... )

Do you remember that little buff blob I added to the mould for the hump?

After a little carvery we get this, the sonar fairing for underneath the dunking hole

P1110734.jpg

and carved inside too

P1110735.jpg ready to have the guide rings inserted on their framework

Said guide rings being stuporgooed together with the willing assistance of the lovely Miss Mucky Plasticene

P1110736.jpg

Wot?

You cannot see the things?

My lord, they're right there in your face, on the plasticene

I know, just a tad reluctant to shine

But hey if you look the shine is all you can see, it will however be all right on the night

Also in frame

Port fuselage with ribs, stringers and strengtheners webs and with a 'showing' layer of Mr Hobby Bluey Grey to bring the look altogether

And oh yes the screen reduced to size now as I have made my calcu rough guesses to the size I need

And also the ladder framework that sits alongside the sonar dunking unit that holds much of the electrickerals for the unit and the main shelving frames for the Plotting screen back by the windows

And the home brewed resin hump cut to size and fitted (loosely at the moment) to suit the rest of the HAS 3's hump

I have also been doing some Wasperie but there's nowt pictured so I won't be updating Wopseymopsey, mostly entering into mental riffmetic and making a jig

We'll forget that for now

night all

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

On my one day this one day that basis I've been messing about with both of my nauticaviational builds today

I'm sure there's a relevant quote out there about that  :)

Wessex got some interior fettling with stuff already built

P1110754.jpg

And a new build sonar winch from a lovely winch knicked orf a old army lorry bumper (I think) and lots of Evergreen

I tried to make some of the other prominent interior gubbinses, i.e. the pair of black (OK white now but black later) cylinders I suspect may have been designed to accumulate hydraulic pressure or even frigid coldness for electronics cooling in the days of heat sensitive  amplification

Never mind forget it, they're way too ginormous

I'll make some more later and the fridge looking pump that sits near them in the photos I have

Looking now at the electronics areas, here's the radar unit being guessed at and the place for the sonar display set up

P1110755.jpg

The winching unit will be getting a cap and shroud, maybe I shouldn't have bovvered with the underneath stuff, most of it will probably vanish later  :(

P1110757.jpg

base unit in for the sonar display now

Also been playing with the radome from my donor Sea King to get it closer to the right shape for the Wessex HAS3

P1110759.jpg

Getting there I think

Anyway, its time for zed said Beddebee  ;)

• Like 4

Cheers Andrew

I am still getting the sonar kit equipped, kinda slow like at the museum purrups but this is a couple of pics from my old SAR2 model for MickE to pop in and see

SAR_Wessex4_038.jpg

SAR_Wessex5interior_bits_079.jpg

SAR_Wessex5interior_bits_090.jpg

SAR_Wessex5interior_bits_072.jpg

SAR_Wessex_SAR_kit5_048.jpg

Right that is enough ancient history

Although pictures arent yet in I have started reshaping the milliput I mixed for the radome yesterday and I made the winch pulley wheel with its eight webspokes inside

Which is a lie, I have only put in six of the eight spokes because twoo of them will be invisible behind the rig framework and six were difficult enough

I'm old, life's short  ;)

'nuff updating, I gotta model to make   :)

edited because I forgot to mention during the HAR2s build, that last picture shows the hollow map box positioned above the driver's bonce that I plunge moulded out of black plasticard

So thin it must be scale thickness

Edited by perdu
missed a bit...

Cheers Mick

I wonder why though sometimes

Built the sonar and radar plotting area up and have begun the screens

Still the seats to make anyway here's

P1110774.jpg

the pulley cowling is on its frame awaiting the pulley and the upper position panels

P1110775.jpg

here in the fuselage on a test fitting

P1110777.jpg

The forward electronics racks have their kit aboard now

P1110781.jpg

and now the upper comms kit is shipped too

Airfix Sea King Sonar dunker is being modified to something a bit more like the type 195M sonar in the 4+ book

So with this  awaiting crew seats I popped the two halves togetherish

P1110785.jpg

P1110783.jpg

and you can't see a blooming thing inside it  :(

I was going to add cables and hoses but I am not going to now, you wont see any of them

Its time to go ahead with building instead of detailing the innards

I did produce a centre cockpit console with throttles and such (cannibalised from Airfix's Tornado cockpit side panels) then I realised that THIS Wessex only has one engine, thus only one throttle lever

Dohh

More invisible detailing to come...

As will pictures

• Like 5

you just frightened me with how small it is

hard to believe you packed so much detail into it. when I eventually do my HC2 kitbash (1/72), I hope I can get as much detail into it (though I think it will be strictly OOTB in that scale)

Why do I think there is a risk of you kitbashing an Ital... no I can't even write it.... ?

I will be sitting back and absorbing the pleasure of watching a Wessex Guru making one in my favourite scale when you do

If you let us watch

ps the old Frog has the most accurate outline but does not have the twin engine nose

Milliput looms...

P1110815.jpg

• Like 2

I have been adding the last bits of internallery but didnt take any photos  "SORRY he shouts"

I've added some of the wiring to the black boxes and along the cab's sides

Blued the windows and removed Matchbox's door opening troughs so I can make the side more like it and removed the extraneous pipings from the fuselage sides

And have been trawling the Modeldecal sheet no 99 to fix which 'frame this will be

If you noticed the header it's to be XP150 from HMS Antrim in 1988-90

The real deal tonight was deciding to put seats in even though they'll be invisible  :(

So the sonar crew seats are part finished, not sure they'll get harnesses though

I will post some pictures tomorrow

And then close it up and start on the driving controls

( I was also doing Waspy bits without the aid of the camera, not a problem in here of course)

• Like 1

a couple of pics from last night

cold light ofdawn opinion?

yeucchh

P1110795.jpg

hump on just to see...

P1110796.jpg

crapulous composition sorry

two chairs coming along for the back seat boys

P1110797.jpg

three of the eleven bits for the tailwheel arm

P1110802.jpg

this is an old one but I think I'll make a newer better one

later folks...

• Like 2

Cheers Rodders, as you know its often little and...occasional with me on builds

Life has other duties to attend to, why this evening I have been watching the horrific effects on a small community when a mob descends on it bound to run riot

Yes I quite liked the Hobbit, very reminiscent of a book I once read

But some (not much) work has been done and in the process I have redefined the term lunacy

You saw me fill the insides with the insides I built for it, it gets dafter, and there was little likelihood of seeing inside at all past the sonar rig

Then you saw me paint the windoows with Tamiya Transparent Blue, nice paint but very darkening of the inside

Then you saw I decide to make seats for a crew to attend the sonar and radar plotting tables

Ho hum

off I went and made them

and painted them, although we wont see them

then atthe height of my madness I decided to put the five point harness on the seats too

MAD I TELL YE, MAD

anyhoo, here 'tis

P1110803.jpg

P1110805.jpg

Obviously not a very hard go at making it, but still daft huh, that Formula 560 round the feet is already clear now and invisible

Before I close up the halves I am painting some plastic rod green with the attendant dayglo blobs along it

Not sure if they are heating or hydraulic pipes but they are very distinctive in most Wessex interior shots I've seen

Pictures of the close up coming to a screen near you soon

night all

• Like 3

Oh hell maybe I am that barm...

I added the dayglo dotted pipes (Humbrol Acrylic dayglo 209) behind the sonar/radar plotters place

P1110807.jpg

and in front of the winch rig side walls

P1110810.jpg

And then this happened

A Wessex appeared

I stuck the thing together at last, as an old reopened kit it isnt keen to be reglued but Percy Verence got the job done

P1110813.jpg

THEN I realised I hadn't put the main gearbox for the rotor head in

Doh, break it all apart again and pop in the rotor head box

P1110814.jpg

I wonder if I'll learn owt from that? I has me doubts   :(

I have been fettling up the radar dome from the different shaped one in an old Airfix Sea King

The more I fettled it the more I wished I'd just accepted 'nearish enough' still I think I'm close enough for a few resin blanks to play with further

So I made a plasticene mould

That should do

P1110812.jpg

There's some more fettlin in it but not an awful task left now

And because I'm known for not leaving things alone

I decided to cut away the tail's handling grips

Is this better?

P1110816.jpg

I can always fill them in again, but why Matchbox didn't put 'em in beats me

Well that's it for now, Wopsie gets a day of her own next

ciao

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Looks like that Percy Verence bloke hung around for a while with you today and really lent a hand when you needed it.

Excellent work.

23 hours ago, perdu said:

MAD I TELL YE, MAD

I think that's an anagram for "damn fine modeler"