Italeri 1:48 Wessex Cyprus - finished!

Caerbannog

Thanks - the sound proofing was easy. Just mixed some shades of green (Revell Aqua) and brushed these on so there slight variations beteen the "seperate sound proofing sheets". After these were dry I used a mix of green, grey and brown Vallejo Wash to darken the recessed areas. Using a damp cloth I removed excess wash from the raised details of the sound proofing. A final flat coat seal everything. I did not even add any highlights. Very simple actually.

So update from last weekends work:

Did some more work on the cockpit:

BM

Decided to slightly improve the exhausts:

BM

And started to add the exterior detail. I left out the tiny ones so far to avoid breakage:

BM

Now she can stand on her own:

BM

Everything according to plan and OOB. :-)

René

• Like 2

Looking good, I removed the tailwheel yolk on my kit this am. Firstly to refine the shape and then to set it at a gaunty angle. It is probably the least wel detailed part of the kit and there are many and should have been a seperate item.

If this kit had been a piece of armour it would have been the best helo kit around after the Airfix Lynx...

Colin

• Like 1

15 hours ago, heloman1 said:

(...)

If this kit had been a piece of armour it would have been the best helo kit around after the Airfix Lynx...

Colin

I wish Airfix would consider a 1:48 Wessex...

and a Sea King.

and a lot of other helicopters (Wasp, Sycamore, Whirlwind, Sikorsky S-51)

René

18 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I wish Airfix would consider a 1:48 Wessex...

and a Sea King.

and a lot of other helicopters (Wasp, Sycamore, Whirlwind, Sikorsky S-51)

René

My centiments exactly. I think Airix have missed a couple of tricks here...

Colin

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Although you might be right I have a feeling they're more in tune these days, time to make noises perhaps

I've triedm they just don't seem to be interested. I know helo kits sell in less numbers that other types but hey Airfix come to the party. We'll support you. Can you imagine five or six Whirlwind options. A couple of Sycamore options.  The Wasp/Scout,  one or two options of each.But just imagine if they had kitted the Wessex before Italeri, how many Pounds there would have been i n the bank? I they might just have done as good a job as they did on the Lynx. Six fantstic kits and non of them bomberds or jets!!!

CVolin the frustrated.... 

• Like 2

I do hope they will upscale their Seaking. The Hasegawa one is expensive and lack any interior behind the cockpit. You cannot even open any door unless you start converting the kit parts. There is quite a lot room of improvement and considering all the differnt versions and liveries should make it a safe bet for any kit maker.

Back to the Wessex build. I did not find much time to work on this but almost finished to stick stuff to the exterior (all PE is bended and on - but forgot to take a pic or two) and I closed the cockpit - except the sliding doors which will be kept open:

BM

I am of good hope to take it to the paint booth before next year. But will have to remake the little plastic part which sits in front of the PE part on the canopy.

René

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ups... almost a month since the last update. Well he is some news on this build. I attached all but the breakable exterior details (I think I did...), cleaned the seams andrescribed lost panel lines and rivets. But missed to sand the rivets over as can be seen below. The small grey plastic part on the canopy was found to my delight and directly glued in place before I would loose it again.

As I had the airbrush loaded with gloss black for my Precious Metal build in the KUTA GB, I sprayed the rotor blades gloss black. Yesterday I sprayed Humbrol grey (#5) over the black to get a streaky look:

BM

Next I wanted to paint the fuselage grey but realized that I do not have Hu164 and found no other grey which came close. Always surprising that you can have 765 greys in stock and still find nothing that really matches. I will mix something up but did not want to spend time on that yesterday but simply spray happily some paint on plastic, so I started with green (Humbrol 149):

BM

BM

The Hu 149 tin was an usused one and it seems I finally opened a tin with the now infamous Humbrol quality. The colour itself looks OK and sprays good with lots of thinner added (so far nothing special) but this morning the paint was still slightly tacky which I found quite surprising for a dull colour. I will be on a trip the next days so the Wessex can dry until the weekend. I am quite happy now that I already applied the green colour. Such things can easily spoil the successful end of a GB ;-)

I decided not to spray the blue band but to use the kit decals later. Looking at the Extradecals instruction sheet to check what they suggest for Azure Blue I saw that they refer to the kit decal so this is what I will be doing.

René

• Like 3

And now with some grey on:

BM

Will have to find a way to get the windows back in. I will try with a cocktail stick and BluTac at the end to hold and position the window in place. I will start with the right side window. Looks like huge fun.

René

• Like 1

Just a suggestion, would it be useful to run some Tamiya tape along the outside of the fuselage; the purpose being to get the windows to be held in place (from the inside) whilst you glue them into position?

Hope I've explained it clearly.

cheers

Mike

Did not do too much on this yesterday. I only fiddeled the loose windows back in place using a cocktail stick with a blob of BluTack at the end and following Mikes suggestion with the tape from the outside:

BM

Now the tape is removed there is a bit of smear at one of the windows which I will need to polish away without pushing the piece out again :shutup:

René

• Like 2

Quite a lot of progress this week. Well - no other option - this one needs to get finished by Sunday...

After a gloss coat on the camouflage I started with the decals. The blue fuselage band was first because I wanted to make sure that this fits well. It did not, so I decided to paint it instread. Here is how I masked the fuselage band with the white Tamiya tape for curves in the first place:

BM

Italeri received some bashing for the decals. They are thin, sturdy and perform well but they are not very accurate and some are oversized. However they are still usable with some surgery:

BM

Here is what I used from the kit decals so far:

BM

I just checked the letters for ROYAL AIR FORCE and RESCUE, which were reported of being the wrong size but they are correct for the machine I am building. So I will use these kit supplied decals as well. Seems other than the spine decal shown above, no other decal from the Xtra decal sheet will be used...

More tomorrow.

René

• Like 3