1/72 Italeri / whirlybirds AB212 (Bristow G-BALZ)

That is a lovely build of a rare subject.Terrific finish.The 212's were certainly around Sumburgh in the late 70's early 80's.The type also had an offshore SAR role.Three airframes were also based at North denes airfield near Great Yarmouth circa 82/3.

Anyone for a Wessex 60 in "Eric" livery?

• Like 1

Milktrip's marvellous Bell 212 build prompted me to dig out some old snaps.The first Two were taken at Baltasound in Shetland in July 86 The last at North Denes January 83.G-BALZ clocked up some 27,000 Hours with Bristow before being sold.

• Like 1

Great photos Jyguy.  Interesting as I thought that scheme (Bristow logo on tail boom) was late 70s. Do you know when they changed? As far as I was aware G-BFER & G-BALZ where originally BEAS aircraft.  I have seen a photo of the scheme in your photos but with 'BEAS' on the tail boom in place of 'BRISTOW'

Thank you all for the comments & likes

cheers

Aaron

Hello Aaron

Certainly by 1989 'ALZ was in the livery you have depicted.Not wishing to infringe any site rules regarding posting links have a look at The Professional Pilots Rumore Network site PPRuNe where there is a thread devoted to 'ALZ.The another one to look through is the Bristow photographs thread which contains a few shots of 212's,best get a  comfy chair and pour a dram as it runs to 130 pages!

I've trying to locate my copy of an old Ian Allen book entitled Helicopter Rescue published around 1980 which had a shot of one of the Bristow 212's in flight to check on the livery.

Kind Regards

Guy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Aaron,

Nice posting love your choice of colour scheme . Brings back memories of flights in Bristows Bells both out of N Denes and on the Brents off the "Finder" and "Gothia" . Kinda inspired me to extract my proverbial finger,

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

Knew the reg was familiar I have it as flying in Dec 83 from the Brent Bravo to the Treasure Finder , my first in a 212 then home in a Chinook! The Finder was a nice sight with a full compliment of 212's lined up in the hangar. I'd to inspect the overhead crane in there and wound up an engineer by saying I'd just hopped on top of a chopper-- actually they'd parked it at the end to give me access.

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

cheers guys,

and thanks for the input Andrew; I don't think you'd get away with that now :) .  You can't even use a step ladder without a permit to work, harness and a 140 page procedure. 

• Like 1