1/72 Italeri / whirlybirds AB212 (Bristow G-BALZ)

Hello,

I would like to present my latest completion.

1/72nd Italeri Ab212 with whirlybirds "G-BALZ" conversion set.

Built as part of the Huey group build but I missed the finishing deadline by a couple of days.  WIP can be found here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235006740-bristow-birds/&page=1

Also, please check out the gallery for an array of excellent Hueys.

Presented as G-BALZ as she was around the late 70s early 80s.  Operated by Bristows helicopters around the Brent oil field (Stationed on the Safe Gothia, and probably Sumburgh)

30967039716_2714c909e1_c.jpg

22823803238_cde544dee8_c.jpg

30914091381_5b74c8fdb4_c.jpg

31002171515_164b82229c_c.jpg

30885645502_4290abf278_c.jpg

30885632842_739d7efff6_c.jpg

31002147165_6580698504_c.jpg

30914052641_0d082b1431_c.jpg

thanks for looking

• Like 58

A beautiful model Aaron. Really enjoyable WIP; I've learned a lot about helicopters and Bristow Birds.

Really superb paint and detailing work.

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, perdu said:

Don't know how I missed a Milktrip build wip Aaron

Thank you Bill; I've been hiding out in the group build area, although my presence has been rather sporadic recently.

thank you very much all 

• Like 1

Gee, that's really beautiful!

I had forgotten a 1/72 Huey was so small, or have you got a king size Tamiya paint pot?

When I first flew to the Brent and Dunlin fields in mid-1985, I never saw this type of chopper, so you must be right re-the early 80s for their disappearance.

Whatever, this is a smashing model.

Congrats.

JR

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind comments.

On 18 November 2016 at 3:16 PM, jean said:

When I first flew to the Brent and Dunlin fields in mid-1985, I never saw this type of chopper, so you must be right re-the early 80s for their disappearance.

They were before my time Jean (afraid to say that in 1985 I was only 1!!).  I picked up most off the info on Pprune but there is also another site that has a lot of the photos from the 'Bristows' thread on Pprune which gives a history of the different locations Bristows operated from.  I think the 212's were used mainly as a shuttle service between the different Brent rigs; not certain but would have thought the S-61N & Chinook would have been primarily used for mobilising from onshore to the Brent's, especially around that time. Here's a link regarding the Safe Gothia operation http://www.helitavia.com/Skyweaver/bases_safegothia.htm  prior to this was the Treasure finder which operated around 5 twin hueys, but they scaled down to 2 with the Safe Gothia; I've never had the pleasure (hmmm!?) of the Safe Gothia but have been on the Safe Bristolia and Safe Caledonia.  Not been on the Brents either, but closest I got was the Alwyn / Dunbar where you can see them on the Horizon.

Cheers

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

then all the flying from either Aberdeen or the Shetlands to Brent and Dunlin (where I worked) was done, as you rightfully mention, with either the S-61 and the Chinook. One of the latter was actually lost with all hands around that time... These flights were not fun, all wrapped up and sweating in the survival suit. Although we kind of trained for it, an underwater evacuation of a Chinook after a ditching, was not an option I ever considered could have a successful outcome. There was at least one Bolkow 105 for shuttle duties between platforms, but I never saw an AB 212.

Those were rather exciting days. God, do I sound old!!!!

JR

• Like 1