Finished Old kit, Old decals & Old modeller

Rodders154

I fancy making the old Frog Wessex straight out of the box with the Modeldecal set 18 decals for a plane guard Wessex XS880  57

Just how it would have been 40+ years ago using enamel paints and tube glue to see how well my modelling has come on

Or

Cross kit with the Italeri kit for winch, cockpit . wheel covers ect

What does everyone think?

Rodders

• Like 2

Nice idea Rodder. untilthe Italeri kit came along I still rated the Frog kit even if just for it's outline accuracy. I have two I should have finished... One converted to the original Wessex /H-34 conversion.

Colin

PS. you going to resurect that crane build you had going???

• Like 1

What tools did people use then?  I remember as a kid ripping the bits off the sprue and getting glue finger marks over everyting!

Was it normal to use a craft knife or did we use scissors?  I can't remember.

Let's say for example I do the model as it would have been done in 1970 when I was 11 would there have been emery boards around the and would most people have used normal 1/2" masking tape bought from the local ironmongers or as I dont think Tamiya were around then. 

Let's do it 100% retro, brush paint and all

Rodders

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Splendid idea.modelling as it used to be. Just remember to be having fun . How about using a blunt penknife for real accuracy ? 

Colin W 

Well I was 10 and I remember twisting the parts off the sprues and cleaning up with an exacto knife and wet and dry paper. I think Tamiya putty was available too and you'll need lots of that to be sure.  

• Like 1

You cleaned up?

Wow

Just be warned, the Froggy is my favourite for shape accuracy, the wheels are just a tad 'Swampflyers' sized against the real size

You know, the megawheels they bung on bush planes on The Discovery channel

Still lovely though

• Like 1

Old school boy stuff, will be a cracking thread to follow, just disappointed you have opted for a modern scalpel and not using your parents over sharp 12" carving knife to slice the parts off the sprue (as well as fingers from your hand!)

Looking forward to this one!

Bob

• Like 1

This is not going to take long as the aircraft is overall light brown and as it is straight out of the box there are very few parts.

My major concern is I will be having a matt finish and putting 40+ year decals on top and they will silver for sure do I go for a Kleer and varnish finish or would that be against the spirit of the build.

To start

First I have forgotten how smelly enamels are and how long they take to dry even the matt ones. Oh how much better the paint goes down with an airbrush.  I normally use brushes for detail work or small areas only.  I also had to get some thinners for them as water I believe doesn't do a good job on them. all the cockpit has is the seats and a gurt hole where the IP is there aren't even any joysticks

frog3.jpg

See I am using the tube glue  you can just see the blobs on the holes on the cockpit floor. Boy is that smelly as well. The drill is for the exhausts .

frog2.jpg

Rodders

PS I do intend to do a proper build for this group build.

• Like 2

Onwards and upwards

didn't get two of the windows to stay in as they were not sufficently cured before I put the band around the fuselage

So far every paint I have opened has been useable.

frog4.jpg

Decided to use revell filler ai I am sure filler was around then

frog5.jpg

Rotor head asembled and waiting to dry

frog6.jpg

This is the colour for the exterior.  In the old days I used what is nearest to the colour they wanted with this model its the same as

I dont know when (if ever) I will be using enamals again

frog7.jpg

Ever wondered what to do with the old ferror box

frog8.jpg

• Like 4

I used to put a decent wibble of washing up liquid in the shallow saucer of warm water I used to depaper the transfers in the old days

It seemed to allow the water to seep in and keep silvering at bay whilst they dried

Dont envy you using modern version Humbrol Enamels, I hate the things with a massive raging passion

Give me the good old Humbrol Authentics and others of their range from back then

• Like 3

I had forgotten that you can paint using a brush with enamels.  I used a no 3 brush and did 2 coats and that seemed to work and then ( I cheated sorry) I sprayed on 2 coats of Kleer as I didn't want the decals to screw up and  that flattened out the finish nicely I then used the 40 year old kit decals and you can see they have gone on very well.  I am glad one of the schemes was overall one colour as the masking tape I am using sticks like poo to  blanket.  Getting near the end now only major problem is the cockpit side windows they won't be perfect but they will be good enough for a government job.

I think they use superglue as the backing

frog11.jpg

frog13.jpg

frog12.jpg

• Like 4