BR 52 - Kriegsdampflokomotive 1 - 1:35 Kit

Blaubar

Ozzy, I checked beforehand but it fits just fine, all three kits are measured for perfect standard gauge. Had to do the same with the ICM Panhard rail tank. This box car (G10 style) is actually from IRONSIDE/Azimut. The box itself is ok, all exterior parts are useless, however. All misaligned so badly that it is not possible to use them. Will need to order AM parts. I got two of these ones and the Panhard to go with the loco. I will run out of space then at some point, I only got 200cm X 90cm  on the table where I will put the dio, or I will need to buy a bigger table:penguin: .

Madhatter got banned ;( He had so many nice builds, it is sad that he is gone.

35058517655_a49b928b50_b.jpg

This wagon is OOB and only for the background, the other one will go further to the front with an open door and some stuff inside. Not sure yet. I am going to the Sinsheim museum again next week to take some more pics of the BR52 loco, I got another invite, then I can continue the build again :) 

The kit is actually quite bad, but then again, it is an old kit. Look at the misaligned parts and the off centre screw heads on the lower right parts. The anchor hook is also not nice, and this is after cleaning some stuff already:D

35058519285_e46c8fa8dc_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Stefan,

i didnt realise he got banned, he did build some nice kits. I managed to cap by build to 70cm x2 when I built the BR 86 with the 80 ton platformwagen, with the 52 I think you are almost hitting that measurement before adding the rolling stock . Thanks for the heads up about the box car, as I'm itching to build a 52 but just need to find some space. Can't wait to see some more photos.

• Like 1

Yeah, sad thing with Madhatter

I will add the cabin for a second engine br52. As I scratched almost the whole cabin, I got a spare cabin and will add it to the background. The 52 alone is 90cm long, it is kind of huge.

cheers, and get your 52 started!!!

• Like 1

I like the wagon. It reminded me that I have some 30 year old O gauge kits of goods wagons buried in a box somewhere. I must dig them out.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
missed letter.
  • Like 1

I;m just getting caught up on this, and I thought I was bad, this is just nuts. 'Can't wait to see what's next,  good job.

RichO,

I guess we are sitting in the same boat called ridiculous detailing. But as long as it's fun, all is good. Trying to get some train work done tonight. It has been a while...

Have a good Saturday

Btw: As I was at Sinsheim museum again, find below a link with some 800+ armour and tank pics... Möbelwagen, Flakvierling, 88s, Jagdpanther, the list is endless..... Maybe it is of use to someone.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskTTVEv4

Edited by Blaubar
  • Like 3

Julian, it is a 87 which crashed around Marseille and was recovered in 90m deep water some time ago.

I am in the museum regularly and I will add some more photos from my last visit to the album soon. This time more cars and planes, though. Can always take pics for special requests the next time.

• Like 3

@Blaubar I have to say I've just sat and read through all your posts on this subject and will be following it closely for future references. However I'll not be doing such a complete modification as yourself.. or infact anywhere near! 

Im pleased to see you didn't close the thread for lack of replies. It's the one thing that kills a forum :-( 

im doing a large dio railway scene for my home office so will be watching yours for inspiration on those long nights! 

Stefan

I too have just read through all your posts and am amazed at the level of detail and scratch building you are doing, please carry on posting as it is inspiring to see how you get round the problems you encounter, i used to work on the railways a long time ago, not on steam but Diesel powered locomotives, sometimes wish i had stayed on the railways.

Once again good luck and will be watching closely.

Jim

Welcome Rich,

Prost Steve and Mr.Diesel.

Yeah, I am waiting for another museum visit before continuing on the locomotive.... Therefore doing other rail and car stuff in the meantime.

Steve, I will check out your dio, I always do enjoy trains, you should add a Panhard if it is a German train dio... There is a great IICM Kit.

35157236481_9f4518fca9_c.jpg

Diesel, you know, it is fun despite the problems. I am just too dumb to do OOBs, it could be so much faster.

Prost

• Like 3

Hi.

i do plan to add one of those at some point. Especially after reading research that states all armoured trains had at least one panhard to do reconnaissance on the rails.. yet bizarrely they never carried their road wheels on the vehicle if deployed on the rails! 😳 

Currently om building a takom kingtoger with full interior to sit on/ near one of which flat beds 

They carried them on a wagon with the Panzerzug, but there is a video where they do carry the wheels on the Panhard! I'll post it later.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Good evening,

back to some steammm...

I have done quite some more research:rage: during the summer and will also continue with this big bugger tonight. As the frame design had put me off and I thought about building the entire frame anew, I found some interesting pictures of factory frames. The lower one kind of similar to Trumpeter's shape, the upper one is rather like all technical drawings and surviving engines suggest, which I have seen. While Trumpeters frame is flat all around on the bottom side, between axles/numbers 5 to 2 you will see rounded shapes, except for the intermediate frame part between axles 4 and 3. Also, you may notice the dimple within the frame for the rear air pressure tank (right-most arrow) and the raised platform for the front ar pressure tank. All kits and even the PE AM parts got this wrong afaik. You can also spot the rounded edges of the smoke box support structure, which is also not depicted in the kit and the weird roundish shape of the side openings (for the steam pipes to and from the cylinders - but as I have already rebuilt this whole part, it is not of concern anymore.). 

37372101491_743647c278_b.jpg

The Kit (This is like a year old or so)

31314361673_d097646d55_b.jpg

So next up, I will cut apart the frame again, to add the interior lower support beams in there. The kit frame itself is stiffened by an L shape at the bottom (which is a smart and useful way and I'd have done it the same way as a manufacturer), but I need to chisel it off and redesign a bit of it to get the real thing going. Also I will need to modify some bad work I did in the past at the rear of the frame, when my skill level was abysmal. I think doing the whole frame again would be an overkill and simply stupid.

Here the L-shape frame stuff I am talking about:

31314373933_23c090fdb6_b.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,

/Stefan

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

Was worried you'd vanished from this build. 

Your attention to detail is amazing! 

Cheers,

It is just time consuming and with Metal festivals and sports in the summer, it is always difficult to stay focused and a time problem.

Looking very good Stefan. One thing that surprises me is that all of the drivers are flanged, unlike the British standard class 9's (Evening Star), which had the centre drivers flangeless. That must have caused some squealing when they went around tight curves.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Looking very good Stefan. One thing that surprises me is that all of the drivers are flanged, unlike the British standard class 9's (Evening Star), which had the centre drivers flangeless. That must have caused some squealing when they went around tight curves.

John.

John, forgive me, but the "drivers are flanged" is leaving me puzzled, these terms are too special, I won't even know the German technical meanings if I knew them^^. Do you mean that the drive shafts had no room to move left/right? Actually, they did, not all but I think 12 4 and 5 or 2 3 4,   I'll read it up later tonight. Thanks for your concern, I look forward to hearing from you and solving this.

/Stefan

Sorry Stefan. What I was talking about was the flanges on the main driving wheels, the bits that actually keep the wheels on the line. On a ten coupled loco like the British Standard Class 9, the centre drivers had no flanges on them as it would have made negotiating tight curves difficult and could have lead to derailments.

1922da9d-64fc-44bb-b264-846efdfb6544.jpg

I hope that's clearer.

John.

• Thanks 1

Ahhh, no need to be sorry^^.

Now I understand 😂

I am not finished modifying the drive wheels yet. Maybe some do not have those flanges, I will pay attention regarding this once I investigate the technical drawings tonight and wilhl let you know. Mind, derailing issues at 80km/h forwards and backwards was no problem with the 52. Only going backwards with the tender/coal car K4 T30 tender, the tender tended to derail more often due to its stiff frame but not the engine. Minimum safety half diameter turn was 200metres, fyi .

Thanks for this John!

/Stefan

Edited by Blaubar
  • Like 1