BR 52 - Kriegsdampflokomotive 1 - 1:35 Kit

Blaubar

Hi Stefan,

Have you tried boiling water? Parts might be too big for this, but if you can cover it in boiling water and then get a weight on to flatten it, then hit it with cold water it might work?

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thanks you two for the help and answers, it seems like I forgot to answer back then!

The bolts and rivets which are being shipped to me atm^, I will get back to the bench tomorrow. Hope you all had a good summer :)

I have also found a friend who will 3D print me the leaf springs for the K4T30 coal car and produce a few casting molds for me  :)

200 MC435007 - 1mm

70 MC435008 - 1.2mm

200 MC435006 - 0.9mm  

70 MC435018 - 1.2mm

100 MC435057 - 1mm hex nut

300 MC435047 - 1mm bolt head

100 MC435076 - 1mm nut on washer 

350 MC435058 - 1.2mm hex nut

70 MC435048 - 1.2mm bolt head

70 MC435058  - 1.2mm hex nut

70 MC435048  - 1.2mm bolt head

Have a good day all,

catch up and reading time now.

cheers

Edited by Blaubar

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/27/2018 at 7:56 AM, Soeren said:

Very nice to see you back and modelling. By the way - where do you source your hex bolts?

See pm

The rivet party has begun... sorting these 26 packages already took some time😂 After counting 2600+, I figured that there are too few 1.2mm bolts. Need to order more🤦🏻‍♂️ And many small ines are not be needed in vast numbers. I had two beers while sorting and preparing it all yesterday night.

Bolts, rivers and nuts

/Stef

• Like 2

That is quite a lot. Did I forget to react to your pm? Sorry for that. 

I always have difficulties to visualise the size of such pieces when identifying the need and decide which ones to get. Maybe just order the whole offering avaliable .

• Thanks 1

I love working with the Master Club products.  Yori is great to deal with, and he makes great inexpensive products.  It's always cool to order a hundred dollars at a time.

• Thanks 1

Greetings, masterful work, IMHO. I am a live steamer, I work in 1/8th scale. I own an Allen 2-6-0 Mogul in that scale. I must say the level of detail which you have achieved is equal to or greater than many I have seen at Live Steam events. Talk about a "river counter"LOL. I would like to ask a question about the BR-52. Did  all examples produced have equalized suspension? In other words, were all prototypes sprung the same way? I ask because I have a Tank Workshop version of this Loco and the instructions say to mount the springs directly to the frame below the journal boxes. No provision for equalization! Seems wrong to me. Thank you for any help in this matter, and for showing us how to build a "Real" BR-52.

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rich, he is for sure, nice and friendly guy! I can highly recommend his stuff.

Hi Carl,

Yes and now. I will prepare a diagram to explain n show u later tonight.

• Like 1

Carl,

as to my knowledge and research and all photos I have seen, all 52s were equalized (underhung spring equalized arrangement to be precise).

Other than the BR50, the 52s did not have "Stellkeile" within the journal box and the  -> these guys here: (Note that the 50 only had one "Stellkeil" and an equalization bar on the other side (slider? see second photo), therefore I changed the diagram a bit.

44755317735_ef1214b3b9_o.jpg

45669829201_7737bba6a3_o.jpg

The spring system was kind of like this, so short bearings were holding the spring system below the journal box...

44755317635_cf02e1e81f_o.jpg

For all who have no clue what this is about... (here however shown with a normal (not underhung) equalization system.

44755317565_36ac4c4495_o.jpg

These are the dynamics of equalizing the pressure and force among all axles once running on non-flat tracks and so forth...

Non equalized, it would look like this: Note that all wheels are not connected to one another but only to the frame and thus shock absorption is only done via one axle, increasing wear and tear and the non-well being of the crew.

45669829661_4e212cd176_o.jpg

Btw Carl, here is the mounting of a bar frame version in Sinsheim, i.e a very early BR52, one of the first few hundred or so. If you look around in my alumb, I bet there are more pictures showing it in a better way.

30933536573_55887ed40a_o.jpg

Here from inside the frame... A plate frame mounting is a bit different, as the frame was thinner and needed more strenghtening and as such different journal boxes... But I guess you know.

30933502783_5ab40b099e_o.jpg

And here the respective frame mounting of the spring link to the fixed frame bracket...

30933536573_55887ed40a_o.jpg

And here an official drawing of a plate frame 52: Maybe it got you "confused" as there is an equalization break between the 3rd and 4th axle from the rear and as such there is no equalizer there and a direct mounting to the frame as you mentioned?

31315191083_7e6b938778_o.jpg

I hope this helps and solves the mystery?

Cheers,

Stefan

Edited by Blaubar

6 hours ago, Jor-el said:

Greetings, masterful work, IMHO. I am a live steamer, I work in 1/8th scale. I own an Allen 2-6-0 Mogul in that scale. I must say the level of detail which you have achieved is equal to or greater than many I have seen at Live Steam events. Talk about a "river counter"LOL. I would like to ask a question about the BR-52. Did  all examples produced have equalized suspension? In other words, were all prototypes sprung the same way? I ask because I have a Tank Workshop version of this Loco and the instructions say to mount the springs directly to the frame below the journal boxes. No provision for equalization! Seems wrong to me. Thank you for any help in this matter, and for showing us how to build a "Real" BR-52.

Carl

Can you offer a link to your stuff? And thanks for those kind words.

First, WOW!  I never thought you'd go to so much trouble and I can't thank you enough. Second, my confusion came from the Tank Workshop's instructions about spring install. They also state the journals are to be left free to move, held in p!ace by a spacer tube. The entire assembly didn't match any references. Third, I have no online footprint, as such, no links, etc. But again, thank you for your help.

• Thanks 1

Carl, 

they are indeed allowed to move up and down a few cm...

The Trumpeter kit shows none of this as it is one mould... but in theory there is space around the box (top/bottom).

The arrows I painted are far too big, but just showing where motion would take place (directionally).

What is often mistaken that the journal box and the cutouts for the axles are carrying the weight, this is not true as the whole weight is carried by the brackets (attached to the springs). Zero weight is carried by the frame above the axles, it would shatter as it is too thin (plate frame).

44959036054_466d0369b3_o.jpg

Again, on a diagram and in the real world, they look like this:

44959036104_9c51a04237_h.jpg

Sorry for all this technical stuff. Trying to get some modelling done later tonight^^.

/Stefan

Stefan, let me say I am not sorry for "all this technical stuff" as it has confirmed for me what I must do to make the Tank Workshop kit at least look correct.

I feel that a lot of patience and some scratch building will do so.  So again let me express my gratitude for taking time from your busy day and providing 

such detailed explanation.

Carl 

• Thanks 1

Good evening,

finally some modelling:)

The newest design of the sidewalk support beams, now accounting for the asymmetry but the two big holes (saving weight and material) in the middle are missing.

They will require final smoothing and a few more runs with the sandpaper...

45684516512_8e31c5812b_h.jpg

In the meanwhile I worked on the trucks that will go to the dio as well... I added some canvas for structure and my grandpa had one of these at his house which they used in their 4500S  to stay warmer (mobile 88 Flak-battery in the East)

44820918665_10e7f0a638_h.jpg

Added the same to the 4500A truck cabin.

30794743157_eb54e86452_h.jpg

Now I am off to business in Berlin and on Wednesday a special visit to the BR 52 6666 in Schöneweide where I will inspect the tender and some interiors of the locomotive :)

This is the one:

526666sz2.jpg*

Prost,

Stefan

Sources:

* bahnstatistik.de

• Like 1

Haha, I screwed up my floor tiles just now... broke the last one while installing it and now I need to buy another pack of 25 :D That sucks.

At least I advanced with the newest plastic parts The one arm of the upmost one needs minor trimming towards the top and all more detailed smoothing. <- trying to screw up soon 😉

31867500798_981e0f64e9_h.jpg

Cant wait to climb on top of and below the real one on Wednesday... olé

31867500978_db01043378_h.jpg

Prost,

happy modelling to you.

• Like 1

Back from Berlin

Find below the links to the walk arounds of 3 BR52s of Berlin BW Schöneweide

BR 52 6666 walk around

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmqL8ztW

45776265882_5f933a2a76_h.jpg

45100937024_0797e277ad_h.jpg

A close up walk around of the K4T30 at BW Schöneweide in Berlin

https://flic.kr/s/aHskM7EiYL

It was so greasy climbing around underneath and on top of that thing...

45817785941_8acfa8727c_h.jpg

45093401994_646fba5658_h.jpg

31947014208_20e1b9110d_h.jpg

Cheers,

have a good Sunday,

/STefan

Carl, you are welcome and it was fun, except for the pair of jeans that got soaked in couplings' fat-> garbage now ^^.

@Soeren, I finished building the rig (so that I can drill both sides at once and in the same manner). So any of these days I will finally begin this mayhem.

I am a sloth, sorry

/Stef

Edited by Blaubar

@Soeren

Here we go...

Screwing up has begun^^. Had to delve through all the materials to see which ones go where, this is quite a mess. Will see how many I'll add today.

30972514827_ac18869176_c.jpg

I placed 3 in the holes to show you :D

45911034721_1445ccd5f5_c.jpg

Have a good evening in the mancave.

/Stefan