Red Devils Double Build - SF-260 and Hakwer Hunter (1/72

I've put my previous builds on hold because I couldn't resist starting this. Whilst I was at Telford I bought decals from the Daco stand, and also found a SF-260 from Planet Models. These were the last parts I needed to make the remaining 2 models I needed for my Red Devils set (having already done a Fouga Magister and having done the solo Alpha Jet in it's red scheme - as seen here and here respectively).

15027921_10154091830021538_1104214934423

Now I've started wit hthe SF-260, knowing it's going to be hte one I hate doing the most - I just don't like doing resin kits. Lukcily it's a pretty straight forward kit. PArt of the tail section shattered, so I had to remake it out of putty. The picture makes it look a lot messier than it is - but until I've finished the build I won't be tidying it up yet.

15032707_10154091830001538_1612470599139

It went together really easily, and it does look really nice. However, it was a tail sitter, so I've hollowed out the part behind the engine cowling so that I can put some weight in. I don't have a drill, and it's a tiny model -so I ended up doing it entirely by hand with a knife. It was labourer but I'm glad I've got it done now. 

15032102_10154091830026538_2786047790013

Excuse my chipped nails, but that's what I've hollowed out - pretty much to the cockpit too. It will be filled with lead ballast before I start tidying the model up and getting it ready for painting. I haven't started the Hunter yet- I'll probably start that this weekend. I'm aiming to get these done for a model show a week Sunday. 

Edited by Lexicon
  • Like 2

Slight update.

My friend at my local IPMS club gave me some lead - so my SF-260 is no longer a tail sitter. Huzzah! I just need to tidy it up a bit and finish the tail off (which I'll do tomorrow) before I can get it primed. I also started the Hunter. I assembled the cock pit and did a dry fit just for the hilarious size comparison! 

15109368_10154095815571538_6928447664168

15032863_10154095815501538_4334435270757

9 hours ago, Mhsuzuki said:

Where did you find the decals for the SF-260? I have the same kit but in 1/48 and couldn't find any decals for it. Maybe I can enlarge a 1/72 set and use it on my build.

Took me a while to find the link again - you can get them here - they're very much home brew. So the quality isn't amazing but they're fine - I'm sure you can request 1/48 from him. He's a lovely chap. I used them on the Fouga Magister Red Devils build I did (see first post for link to see what they're like). Because of the generic Belgian markings, luckily it's only really the eyes and white lines that you need decals for really. 

Edited by Lexicon

13 hours ago, Lexicon said:

Took me a while to find the link again - you can get them here - they're very much home brew. So the quality isn't amazing but they're fine - I'm sure you can request 1/48 from him. He's a lovely chap. I used them on the Fouga Magister Red Devils build I did (see first post for link to see what they're like). Because of the generic Belgian markings, luckily it's only really the eyes and white lines that you need decals for really. 

Thanks! I will check with him if it can be done in 1/48!

Edited by Mhsuzuki

So, got some painting done! They are starting to look like they are part of the team now. I'm also starting to feel like they're going to make a really nice display. I'm very happy with them so far - especially the SF-260 as it is the first resin model I have ever done from start to finish.

Red Devil's 1/72

Red Devil's 1/72

Edited by Lexicon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2016 at 10:38 PM, Lexicon said:

Let me know if they do! I might need to order some more decals from them anyway! 

Well, he replied to me yesterday and said that he doesn't make it in 1/48 nor can print one in this scale. In the meantime I found another company and contacted them. If I get the 1/48 marking I will let you know.

Edited by Mhsuzuki