1:72 Airfix Mk1 Hurricane with Alley Cat "tin wing" conversion

Brandy

In a previous modelling life (ie first time around!) I developed a love of Hurricanes. One of those was (I believe) a Revell kit to which I added a scratchbuilt interior and main gear well using the Airfix "Classic aircraft and how to model them" book. A couple of years ago I found it in my Dad's attic and brought it back to the US to finish off. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I liked to remember so I bought an old Airfix MkI/IIB kit to use the interior in. I also bought PE flaps and a resin gear well. Then the new tool kit came out, so I bought that too....Then I realised that the kit was a rag wing, and Alley Cat had just released a "tin wing" conversion, so that too was added...

The only problem now was that the wing is a solid 1 piece item so the flaps cannot easily be cut out (scrap the PE flap!) and the gear well was very nicely reproduced too (scrap the resin detail kit).

Thanks to my trials and tribulations with the 2 Sopwiths, I decided I needed a relatively quick and simple build - out came the Hurricane! Totally out of what has become my comfort zone (WWI aircraft) and no rigging! This will be built as one of the subjects in the Xtradecal Battle of Britain sheet, I'm not sure yet which one.....

I think most are familiar with the new tool Airfix kit so I won't post pics of the kit itself. Since most of the interior is mounted on the wing assembly i thought that would be a good place to start, so out came the new airbrush. Thanks to a post on here with pics of the Finnish MkI Hurricane, I have painted the interior the usual green, with all the framework/seat/wheel well etc in aluminium. 

30956616336_2e5fa97d95_k.jpg

22813537908_866ad53ecf_k.jpg

As far as the Alley cat wing goes, it's pretty straightforward...the only possible gotcha being the fact that the Airfix instructions show the view looking down on the lower half of the wing...

30690014960_a032ebe68f_k.jpg

but because the Alley Cat wing is one piece, you will be looking at it upwards towards the upper half...consequently you will need to reverse the 2 parts A5 and A6 , so they fit properly. Don't forget to sand off the little tabs on the rear edge of them either!

My wing had quite a bad warp on the inner front edge, where it mates to the lower fuselage, but nothing that couldn't be easily resolved with a little hot water and clamps. The fit is pretty good too but did need a little fettling - I gently filed inside the grooves on the upper rear to reduce the thickness of the resin there, and also filed the lower parts of the fuselage to both thin them and raise them very slightly.

30991675335_7bcea902b7_k.jpg

Most of the work was required on the underside at the front, where it was too deep and left a large lip under the fuselage. A little sanding there also sorted that problem, although final close fitting will be left until it's all mounted.

30991682125_520abb387d_z.jpg

The last thing I did today was add a lip to the front and sides of the seat, and that will be sanded down to the correct shape when it's dry. 

30690017010_4b05a88eda_k.jpg

Actually, the last thing I did today was order an interior PE set with seatbelts as I realised I didn't have any, so those are on their way from Hannants!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
spelling!
  • Like 11

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm in Ian :popcorn: 

How about the scheme - do you have a particular aircraft in mind?

Cheers,

Stew

Welcome aboard Stew!

I'm leaning towards P2923/VY-R of 85 Sqn. The only thing that concerns me is that there is no 85 Sqn white hexagon shown...anyone know if this aircraft was missing it for some reason?

That's one of 3 Hurris on the Xtradecal BoB 70th Anny sheet (72-117). I will also be using that sheet for the Spit, and maybe the Defiant, when I built those. The Blenheim Mk1F will be a nightfighter and they're aren't any on that sheet so it's be as per the kit option.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Me too :popcorn: Good start on the internals Ian, very tidy, but that resin wing looks like a bit of a task to fit?

Welcome Ced!

The wing fits in the same way as the kit one. The only real issue was under the front centre which needed sanding down a little. Other than that it fits very nicely! There are plenty of kits which have far worse fit issues to the wings than this one!

7 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Ah, just what I need, a brave pathfinder to show me the way...

Hi Jon,

There has been one done already, by Tonyot....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002106-172nd-metal-winged-hurricane-mkiusing-the-new-alley-cat-resin-conversion-set/

He doesn't seem to have had the issue I have under the front centre, so that could be down do the warp that was in mine forcing the front piece a little low....

Ian

• Like 3

A little more info on the Alley Cat wing fitment...

I noticed when looking through Tonyot's post that he cut off the bottom portion of the rear bulkhead (the part the seat attaches to). This is not, in fact, necessary but since it can't be seen anyway that fact is almost irrelevant...

The part in question is not the rear spar in the wheel well, it actually fits into the recess in the upper surface of the wing assembly. I did have to narrow it slightly and sand off a little from the bottom.

Here's a pic of the part fitted....

30972243756_31ff03c117_k.jpg

you'll notice that on the outer edges are 2 strengthening pieces which look like they've been lightened by drilling them out. There are 2 "holes" visible. the original part has 3 so that gives an idea of how much I've removed.

The fuselage halves are also a little narrow at the bottom so I added a small piece of .03 square rod, just a fraction wider than the bulkhead, to open the sides out a fraction.

30972242006_166b9f026a_k.jpg

Here's how the parts fit now....

30972245196_5ba3542ead_k.jpg

The fuselage to wing gap is the same the other side - cant get much better than that!

I also have a few other goodies to add to this. Namely a vac canopy and Rexx metal exhausts.......

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
added info
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looking forward to this.  I believe it's the only way to build a standard Mk1 at the moment.  Very surprised Airfix haven't released an upgraded kit yet.

poor sprue design

see http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Airfix_1_72_Hurricane_Mk_I_A02067_in_box_review_about40879.html

if  they had designed it to add a  new  wing only....

that said, the fuselage lacks the starboard 2nd small rectangular fabric covered access panel, introduced at the very  end of the N**** serial batch,(a noted Hurricane researcher tells me)  though I have only seen it on P**** serialed onward.

(They could actually tool a  metal wing Mk I and  get it completely right though...)

which means if you  want  to do VY-R, you need  to add  that... 

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Welcome aboard Stew!

I'm leaning towards P2923/VY-R of 85 Sqn. The only thing that concerns me is that there is no 85 Sqn white hexagon shown...anyone know if this aircraft was missing it for some reason?

85 squadron did  not always have the hexagon, at this time they were not displaying it, which is July 1940 at  Castle  Camps

(85 are unusual in that there are 5 sets of photos of their planes taken officially in 1940)

OK, this sheet

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72117

X72117_4.jpg

VY-R

don't bother, the codes  are wrong, too slim.  The decal colour  guide is laughably bad,  given that VY-R is a  very  rare bird,  one that there are good pics from every angle....

here's my analysis

Yep, can of worms.

If you have a serial number, you could at least have chance to know if it was painted at the factory in sky, or repainted at MU or unit level when 'sky' was introduced on 6th june 1940.

I doubt Xtradecal really know, and 'sky grey' is a guess. What scheme you are planning might get you a better answer, or even better a photo.

But, from what I have read about the subject, I doubt a 'sky grey' but odd pale blues and pale green's are quite possible.

There are threads here which talk about the actual pigments in sky, and the possible variations from unit level mixing.....

right, this got me curious, so I looked up the Xtradecal sheet, and from the instructions you want to VY-R, P2923?

X72117.jpg

Well, the Xtradecal instructions for this are really not very good. Why?

This plane is a rarity from the era in as much as there are a series of Life pics of it, show both sides and a taxiying frontal shot.

It's certainly an infield repaint, and the instruction totally fail to show the high demarcation line on the nose, and the wavy leading edge on the wings. Don't trust a profile with a photo is my motto!

It shows the spinner as 'black with light green bands' ...where the got that from is anybody guess. More likely is red with yellow or white, as the spinner most closely resembles the fin flash in greyscale. But it's not black! [Edit, I think white stripes are most likely, as there is yellow visible in the photos, and the stripes are lighter in tone]

as seen here

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
RAF FIGHTER COMMAND 1940. © IWM (HU 104510)IWM Non Commercial Licence

the other side. Note high 'sky' line on rear fusleage and carry over onto base of rudder.

THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN. © IWM (HU 54416)IWM Non Commercial Licence

and from the front, clearly showing the wavy leading edge. Also, just noticed, the similarity of tone of the spinner to the doped gun ports.

FWIW I'd  say the spinner is red with white stripes. (not black with green!!!!)

RAF FIGHTER COMMAND 1940. © IWM (HU 104493)IWM Non Commercial Licence

There is also a shot in flight, as well as 6-8 other shots of this plane, look on the IWM site for more.

EDIT

plane in fight in linked thread [doh], so here's the pic

lewis4.jpg

Coloured spinners? why? as at the time of the pics , taken at Castle Camps in july 1940, 85 Sq was quite possibly using spinner painted in flight colours, there is a pic of a pilots with a plane with what looks to be yellow,

image001.jpg

and also of Townsend plane with looks to be a white spinner [as he was C/O I guess]

85 sq seemed to be media darlings, and there are are 5 separate photo sets from 1940 ish about [France, phoney war, many 1940, Castle camps July 1940, October 1940 and as nightfighters winter 1940/41]

see here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234907653-hurricane-i-vy-cg-of-85-sqn-lille-seclin-around-apr-1940/

Note this [page has links to other Hurricane threads....like that your interior framework and wheels wells should be aluminium paint...

I hope this helps. I really should avoid these posts as I end up getting carried away...

cheers

T

sorry, perils of cut n paste Ian, but thought my reasoning maybe of interest.  

The Aviology decals are better done.  

these two Xtradecal sheets 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72222

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72225

were done with input from Tony O Toole and me nagging on details, there was a thread here of out comments but it went.

HTH

T

• Like 2

Thanks for that Troy, very useful stuff! It also clearly shows the aircraft with flame shields...I think my best bet would be to go with P3707/NN-A, the codes are still too thin but that's simple enough to correct!

Ian

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Thanks for that Troy, very useful stuff! It also clearly shows the aircraft with flame shields...I think my best bet would be to go with P3707/NN-A, the codes are still too thin but that's simple enough to correct!

Ian

Hi Ian

a quick dig...

https://fcafa.com/2012/06/02/hurricane-aircraft-of-310-sqn-and-312-sqn/

no shot of P3707 in link, but I have the Birtles book  mentioned on decal instructions,  and there is a shot on page 98 .

The  sq codes look very similar  to this  in width and  placement, so wider than the sheet,  again.

BKA_160412_1-1.jpg

The xtradecal sheet for fabric wing Hurricane has Sammy Allards VY-P

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/decals/x72193reviewmd_1.htm

" N2319/VY-P 85, Sqn 60 Wing Air Component BEF France flown by Sgt G. Sammy Allard on 10 May 1940 when he shot down two He111s; "

is actually metal winged.....

Sergeant G "Sammy" Allard of No. 85 Squadron RAF being congratulated on his return to Lille-Seclin in France on the evening of 10 May 1940, after shooting down the second of two Heinkel He 111s claimed by him that day. Behind him, ground crew are busy refuelling and rearming his Hawker Hurricane Mark I, N2319 'VY-P'.

large.jpg

this one might do Jonners, got a serial, code known, and decent pic, and looks to be metal winged, note shape of gun access cover.

cheers

T

from , with more pics

note at this time, May 1940, the 85 sq  planes have thinner letters, and hexagons,  the 'R' is easy to make into a 'P'

note the 6 inch serial, (later is 8 inch)  5 spoke wheels,  pole  antenna, and it won't have the hatch I mentioned above. Airfix kit has the right prop, does the Alleycat have any props?

props cause a lot of confusion

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

this is the  best guide on the subject anywhere AFAIK

note xtradecal also got US-P wrong... :(

North-weald-Hurricanes.jpg

the 1940 era is tricky to get right as  there a lot of detail changes in plane (L, N and then P serial variations,)  

AND markings

read this for markings

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

note camo diagrams etc etc

along with there not being that many photos,,,apart from 85 sq...

The only problem now was that the wing is a solid 1 piece item so the flaps cannot easily be cut out (scrap the PE flap!

flaps are only seen dropped for  servicing,  you got fined a round or drinks for  forgetting to raise  them!  same with  Spitfires

hope  of use... the poor old Hurricane still does not  get the research it deserves,  one little final detail, oil stains...

look at the UC doors, above, note the lines at the bottom (even on the black on Allard's plane)

Merlins leak A LOT of oil,  it dribbles out the back of the engine bay, slipstreams blows it back.... it goes over the doors.... like this

hurr1-10.jpg

yugoslav plane on test flight in UK, note  the oil stain starting, now look at Hurricane photos and note the UC doors...

cheers

T

• Like 1

Excellent, Troy, thanks a bunch! It looks as though VY-P it will be then. The kit decals have the 85 Sqn hexagon, and I should easily be able to make my own decal for N2319. It looks from the pic as though the camo pattern is the same as for VY-R on the Xtradecals sheet and the fin flash would be the tall one as on US-P.....I assume it would be the black/white/aluminium undersides too for this date?

edit. Actually looking at the pic above again, it looks as though it's just black/white underneath - the rear underside certainly doesn't look aluminium to me...

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

did you check the links?

camo is this

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

note dimensions from parts of airframe.  the other scheme  is the mirror of this

in this,note details of VY-C, as the 85 sq planes seem pretty uniform at this point

large.jpg

see profile  below, note series of changes, useful  for dating photos

undersides, note rapid  changes...

and

the Ducimus is  still my 'go to' guide for hat changed when,  hence posting up the above,  but note my sig  line..

we haven't even got into the joy of RAF squadrons codes... 

cheers

T

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a million Troy, those are perfect!

I got a little package in the post yesterday - the PE set I'd ordered from Hannants! I only really needed the seatbelts, but I saw an Eduard interior set so that was it....

on with the interior!

The detail is really nice, the only gripe I'd have is the colour of the fuselage side panels. I'd be much happier if only the add on pieces were included so I could make sure the colours matched. Having said that, the curve of the fuselage makes it very difficult to see anyway so it's not hugely obvious.

This is the set. It includes a 3 piece instrument panel, compass, and gunsight, plus the aforementioned seatbelts and sidepanels, plus smaller details, so those alone make it worth the money in my book. Add to that a handle for the canopy and meshes for the oil cooler and it's a pretty nice little addition! 

31376452251_9da331fc07_k.jpg

Before getting too far into fitting it, I dry fitted the seat back armour and noticed it fouled the fuselage on the right side. Here's the culprit:

31376443751_92cb20173f_b.jpg

You'll notice the angle of the back armour is slightly different. It's a tad too high on the side marked and fouls the side of the cockpit. The solution is simple, just increase the angle sllghtly by cutting a tiny slice off the top of the "armour"...

31376446751_fdc5cba083_z.jpg

and here are before and after shots showing the closed up gap...

31376449721_73c48b2c8f_k.jpg

31120908490_9eba2dfff8_k.jpg

A quick shot of some of the interior detail....

31376445091_b44c17b81d_k.jpg

and she is now closed up!

30651089604_37c31cd615_k.jpg

....and put away again for a while until I finish the 2 Sopwiths! 

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
spelling!
  • Like 4

On 12/8/2016 at 1:43 PM, Miggers said:

Think I shall sidle in here and nab a pew before all the usual hub-bub show up as I have

one of these(Aldi cheapo starter kit variant)to rustle up at sometime in th'future.

Welcome aboard Miggers old chap!

Not much to add at the moment, but I have attached the wings. There was a fair bit of sanding required at the front end to blend it in with the fuselage, but nothing too drastic. All the joints have been gone over with Mr Dissolved Putty and I'll clean them up before going any further. May be a while though as I want to get the pair of Sopwiths done first....

31421865961_9729ddf0ad_k.jpg

31537338935_51437ddf40_k.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the fit at the front of the wing, there is also an issue with the thickness of the trailing edge. I decided I'd sand it down, and although I'll lose the detail on the ailerons, they are the same as the kit ones so I can remove them and use the kit items.

Here's a shot that I hope shows the problem...sanded down on the right and as it comes on the left....

30928638344_64a6a2f466_k.jpg

I have since reinstated the panel lines and on my return from the UK will replace the ailerons. 

I had also planned to use a vac canopy, bought for the original Airfix kit. That has not been necessary as this one has a very nice, thin rear canopy. The slight step on the rear fuselage has been removed, along with the rails, and it fits perfectly!

Ian

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Wow, I hadn't realised it had been so long since I did anything on this! 

Anyway, since I'm waiting on plastic stock to make the Muromets engines I decided to look at this again and get some primer on. The aileron replacement didn't work out as the upper and lower leading edges don't line up, making it virtually impossible to remove them from the solid Alley Cat wing. It just means I loose the rather nice, but very faint, ribbed fabric effect and I can live with that.

So, a blast of Tamiya white to see what else needs doing.....

32677110120_d81fc2112b_k.jpg

33017525336_13cb1f3eed_k.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with that. The wing joins are almost perfect. There's a little more work to do on the rear underside joints, and a couple of panel lines I missed under the nose that need to be rescribed, but other than that she's looking pretty good. Those issues will be addressed next, then the rudder and windscreen can go on and prep started for final painting!

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 9

Evening all!

I dealt with the issues mentioned above and over the last few days have been prepping for painting the undersides. That has now been done!

There are a couple of areas where my masking let me down, and a small area at the rear inner edge of the left wing that has been affected by the masking tape and will need to be rubbed down and resprayed. Other than that, I'm happy with how it's coming on.

33160583255_e0032f151f_k.jpg

33032944761_bfcecafd51_k.jpg

I think I'll crack on with this one and get it finished before going back to the Muromets - I'm going to need the space!

Ian

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ced!

I think I've waited long enough, so this morning I masked the undersides, and she is now....green!

33329719635_44e626f4f1_k.jpg

I'll leave that until tomorrow, then go and buy some blue tack!

Ian

• Like 5

I've been following this with interest, having ambition to do something similar, my metal wing arrived in the post today & while a little thicker than the kit wing trailing edges, I think perhaps not so much as your one. I think I'll leave it be anyway. I'm beginning to imagine a "need" for a couple more. :)

Steve.

• Like 1