Tupolev 104 'Camel'

Tupolev 104 'Camel'

1:144 Amodel

tu2.jpg

The world's second jet airliner to enter service (in 1956), the Tu-104 was based on the Tu-16 'Badger' bomber. Some 200 were built by the time production ceased in 1960. They remained in service with Aeroflot until 1979, with CSA being the only other operator.

This is the Amodel kit that comes with early Aeroflot markings, however i wasn't sure about the delicate looking decals and when I saw the BOA decals sheet for the early blue CSA scheme, I thought it would be a safer bet. Plus it makes a good companion to my CSA Tu-134, albeit in the later red scheme.

tu1.jpg

tu6.jpg

tu4.jpg

tu5.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu7.jpg

tu11.jpg

tu8.jpg

And with the Tu-134...

tu9.jpg

tu10.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 47

That has turned out well John. I particularly like the colour scheme and the contrast between that and the later scheme.

Great pictures as usual and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh next time.

Chris.

• Like 1

John gonna call this spooky! I too have just completed the Amodel Tu-104 for the airliner GB -using the BOA CSA decals! Very nice result you have - yours has a glass nose whereas I used the decal - glass wins I think! I added a few more aerials and painted the wingtips red. Cant believe how similar they turned out - I chose OK-LDA as well from the 3 decal options! My offering for comparison here, John

• Like 1

John gonna call this spooky! I too have just completed the Amodel Tu-104 for the airliner GB -using the BOA CSA decals! Very nice result you have - yours has a glass nose whereas I used the decal - glass wins I think! I added a few more aerials and painted the wingtips red. Cant believe how similar they turned out - I chose OK-LDA as well from the 3 decal options! My offering for comparison here, John

I'm becoming convinced that Amodel are also suffering from the same disease that Minicraft had when they designed the 707 kit. The windscreen looks to be much too vertical, rendering the sleek nose of the 104 into a caricature, which really spoils the look of the model, which is too bad considering all the work you put into it.

Very impressive John, thanks for sharing another beautiful result. :clap2:

There's been quite an outbreak of Tu-104s recently with the other John (Jpthedog) building another AModel example and Alexey (Pin) building the Rus-Air kit both in the Group Build.  

On 11/14/2016 at 11:08 PM, Jpthedog said:

Lovely job you did there John, I'm glad its not just me who likes this aircraft! It does look very similar to mine, great minds eh ;)

On 11/15/2016 at 10:51 AM, Turbofan said:

That's well nice John!

What paint did you use for the nmf?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, it is Vallejo 'metal colour' Aluminium, dark aluminium, and chrome. All undercoated with airbrushed Tamiya X1 black. I think that like Alclad, this paint gives a far better finish when applied over gloss black. And like Alclad it can only be airbrushed, but being acrylic is much easier to use.

(FWIW I bought the paint from Hattons model rail 'warehouse' in Runcorn. Its worth looking at the website for paints & kits if you are likely to be driving past. They have become a bit like Argos now, massive stock, but not much on display, so you need to go in with a list).

Cheers

John

• Like 1