DAP Bristol Beaufort IX (Beaufreighter)

New project and something a bit simpler than my vacform Sparrow.

Decided on a High Planes DAP Beaufort transport version complete with 'Japan has surrendered' message on the underside of the wings, like this..

beau_fs_051_zpsqgjf4gb4.jpg

The kit came from ebay

IMG_1256_zpsttdswnmm.jpg

The plastic is odd and doesn't like poly cement much and comes in two shades of plastic with some spare flash.

IMG_1257_zps7bs3qewm.jpg

Oh and a few white metal bits too.

The cockpit interior is basic but there is some detail on the inside of the fuselage.

IMG_1258_zpsovopspsp.jpg

Started with the cockpit, mostly scratch and am close to sealing up.

IMG_1633_zpsa3e53ibs.jpg

IMG_1628_zpsitim7y05.jpg

Couldn't resist the now compulsory navigators lamp!

• Like 13

Looking forward to following this one,....I built one years ago when I wasn`t used to limited production kits and although I still have it, it is very rough,......so looking forward to seeing one well built,On my kit the underwing decals exploded on contact with the water so just be careful and maybe put some decal agent on them, although by now the decals are probably from a different batch anyway.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That HP plastic is certainly an 'interesting' material BB. Given your experience with poly cement, what are you using to glue this?

Nice choice of subject BTW!

Tony

It can be stuck with poly but takes ages to melt and bond the plastic so using super glue at the moment. Always like to choose subjects that are a bit off the beaten track!

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looking forward to following this one,....I built one years ago when I wasn`t used to limited production kits and although I still have it, it is very rough,......so looking forward to seeing one well built,On my kit the underwing decals exploded on contact with the water so just be careful and maybe put some decal agent on them, although by now the decals are probably from a different batch anyway.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the warning on the decals, would love to see a photo of yours? Your right it is a bit difficult in places, hoping for some new props from John Aero and will replace the engines with something from the spares box.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, bristol boy said:

It can be stuck with poly but takes ages to melt and bond the plastic so using super glue at the moment. Always like to choose subjects that are a bit off the beaten track!

Thanks for the warning on the decals, would love to see a photo of yours? Your right it is a bit difficult in places, hoping for some new props from John Aero and will replace the engines with something from the spares box.

You asked for it,......if it helps here is my Beaufreighter,......but I built it over 20 yrs ago and it is a bit rough aroud the edges with bits missing and it is due for a bit of TLC and refurbishment;

DSCF9457_zpsbudzpd75.jpg

I`m sure that yours will be much better,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

Oooh BB building a Bristol - I'm definitely in! :popcorn:

That plastic looks, er, challenging...

Love the lamp - good job! (I blame Bill for starting the madness) :) 

How's the canopy fit - worth checking before close up in case you need to shim the fuselage apart like the Special Hobby?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

You asked for it,......if it helps here is my Beaufreighter,......but I built it over 20 yrs ago and it is a bit rough aroud the edges with bits missing and it is due for a bit of TLC and refurbishment;

DSCF9457_zpsbudzpd75.jpg

I`m sure that yours will be much better,

Cheers

Tony

Looks great, thanks for sharing, you didn't go for the 'Japan has surrendered' on the lower wings?

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Oooh BB building a Bristol - I'm definitely in! :popcorn:

That plastic looks, er, challenging...

Love the lamp - good job! (I blame Bill for starting the madness) :) 

How's the canopy fit - worth checking before close up in case you need to shim the fuselage apart like the Special Hobby?

Hi Ced, Bill's Beaufort was excellent, hope mine is half as good. This is of course a lazy mans Beau as it has no turret, I really don't like fiddling with turrets and the contents! Not looks at the canopy yet, its a large vacformed lump!

• Like 2

I was going for the Japanese Surrender option but as I said.... the decals exploded into a thousand pieces upon hitting the water so I had to go for something else!

Tony

• Like 2

A progress update; it has actually come together quicker than I can be bothered loading photos to Photobucket and posting them, so sorry for the unrecorded sudden step forward!

So.. wings on etc

IMG_1649_zpsc17pwvzr.jpg

I decided to thin the cooling gills on the rear of the nacelles which left them loose fitting so needed to add an extra disc of plastic.

IMG_1650_zpsuq003n1a.jpg

The engines supplied look like cow pats so I'm using the spares from my Sparrow, not 100% accurate but a huge improvement.

IMG_1652_zpsyi7dh2v0.jpg

Started to look at the dreaded vac canopy...

IMG_1662_zpslioq1iod.jpg

But it is actually a pretty good fit. Any tips on suitable adhesive would be welcome, I'm really good at clouding them even using Klear first.

IMG_1663_zps85hrxmwe.jpg

More soon, u/coat and pre-shading next.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, airjiml2 said:

Neat project.  Looking forward to more.

Jim

Thanks Jim, undercoated and pre-shaded last night, sorry no pic at the moment.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice BB. What's the pink filler? One I don't have...

I dislike Vacform canopies but I've used Gator's Grip in the past - easy to apply, dries clear and cleans up with water. Paul has it at Modelling Tools.

Hi Ced, pink filler is actually grey, photo not taken in daylight so the colours are not accurate; it's Humbrol filler, getting low on it, need another truck load for my next vacform!

Will look into Gator Grip.

• Like 1

Any tips on suitable adhesive would be welcome, I'm really good at clouding them even using Klear first.

I have long used watch glass cement, but just bought my first tube of UV cure cement which displays much promise. 

Grant

• Like 1

I've used superglue and 5 minute epoxy

on High Planes plastic before now.

White glue can be used on vacform canopies

and it will fill gaps and dry clear (ish).

Put a clear acrylic spray over the decals

and let it dry overnight before you put them

in water. I've had exploding Aussie decals too.

Interesting subject BTW.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A belated update! I'm blaming Christmas.

My Beau now has Halfords grey primer and some pre-shading and the canopy is being masked- bit of a nightmare. I'm using thin strips of Tamiya tape to allow it to curve and then infilling. Once complete I usually paint the frames with Klear to seal all the edges, it limits any paint bleed.

IMG_17101_zpsbc21uv3e.jpg

The bob aimers window supplied with kit is useless as it doesn't fit!

IMG_16811_zpsemwbuqdf.jpg

so with a bit of reprofilling and a new window cut from packaging material...

IMG_19471_zpsqarhlavu.jpg

IMG_19481_zpsege7vjph.jpg

Looks better.

Hoping to get some paint on tonight- a mix of Tamiya XF-70 and 61 thinned with meths.

• Like 5

Now turned foliage green with some decals on. The green is a mix of two Tamiya Dark Greens XF 61 and 70, I think it looks about right!

Now need to sort out the white underwing patches for the 'Surrender' message, suddenly realised I have no white rattle can and no matt coat so a trip to a LMS is in order. My next project lurks in the background!

IMG_1954_zpsgmwntibd.jpg

• Like 7

I just caught up with this. I've been looking at these in the High Planes catalogue for years. 

I quite like their models; I have an Apache racer, Canberra and Sea Fury. They seem to involve quite a bit of 'traditional' modellling, which (for me) is a fun challenge. I 'almost' completed the Apache. Erm, currently in DoD (Drawer of Doom) :whistle: .

Youve done a lovely job here, the rescue on the bomb aimer's window is very neat :thumbsup2: 

Is Meths good as a thinner for the Tamiya paint? 

Cracking job of a smashing subject 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Nice paint BB, nice variation, she's really looking the part now.

Freighter in the background? Mine keeps calling from the stash...

• Like 1