1/72 - Dassault Mirage III/5 by PJ Production/High Planes Models - released - new PJ boxing Middle East Mirage IIIEL-M5DE/DR-M5EAD/RAD- M5SDE/SDR in September 2022

Homebee

PJ Production has announced at the SMW 2016 a retooled version from its currently sold out 1/72nd Dassault Mirage IIIE kit

This Mirage IIE kit was developped with High Planes Models (HPM).

Review of the initial boxing in your favourite forum:

Sources:

https://www.pj-production.be/fr/avions-1-72/74-721026-amd-mirage-iiie.html

https://adrianleguina.wordpress.com/2016/11/13/novedades-de-fabricantes-y-tiendas-en-telford-ipms-scale-modelworld-2016/

721026-amd-mirage-iiie.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

I rather thought it looked quite good, if a little over-engineered. A combination of the black plastic and the light is overemphasising the panel lines, though with the modern trend for filling them with black colour wash it doesn't really matter.

16 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

I rather thought it looked quite good, if a little over-engineered. A combination of the black plastic and the light is overemphasising the panel lines, though with the modern trend for filling them with black colour wash it doesn't really matter.

As you're seen the test shots in the flesh, are they an improvement over the previous tooling ? The original kits really had very wide panel lines that showed too much with or without washes (actually washes give their very best on deep but very narrow panel lines, Hasegawa style). I know panel lines are a matter of taste but for a kit of that price I was a bit disappointed

I have bought the original boxings and studied the revised tooling at SMW this past weekend.  I would never have considered finishing an original boxing in a NMF scheme because of the wide panel lines.  With the new tooling I would try doing a NMF finish.  I thought the new panel lines were a great improvement.

Zhizhou

• Like 1

I have done three times the original boxing of this Mirage IIIE (http://maquette72.free.fr/articles/2012_92_93_94_MirageIII/index92_anglais.phphttp://maquette72.free.fr/articles/2012_92_93_94_MirageIII/index93_anglais.php and http://maquette72.free.fr/articles/2012_92_93_94_MirageIII/index94_anglais.php)

And I have seen the new tooling this weekend at Telford.

I just can say that the engraving is much much better. The panel lines are now very fine and deep as we like. No more soft and heavy engraving. There is a big difference between old and new tooling.

As this kit is quite easy to build and as it offers many options for almost all versions of Mirage III, this new tooling kit is now at the top of my wishlist. 

The kit should be available at the end of 2016.

Alain.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear the positive opinions of those who have seen the retooked kit at Telford, sounds like High Planes listened to the crticism and addressed the areas of complaint. The PJ box is not cheap but then it's also filled with resin, I'll have to treat myself to one of these !

The main parts before and after retooling.

Sources: https://www.facebook.com/drewesmodelpage/photos/?tab=album&album_id=695014630675423

Chris Brown was kind enough to send me a set of test shots of the freshly tooled wing and fuselage parts for their 1/72nd Mirage III kit. I have taken the liberty of photographing them both on thew spurs and in comparison to the old tool, having given both a coat of Tamiya Fine Surface primer to allow the detail to be clear and a direct comparison to be made. The difference is like night and day. The new tool lines are several orders of magnitude sharper and cleaner. There's simply no comparison. Mold limitations mean one or two softening lines in some areas due to draw angles and the like, but overall I'd compare the quality to the recently released Special Hobby Mirage F.1 kit, and in that sense I'm supremely happy! In the comparison pics, the new pieces are either on the left or on the bottom if that's the orientation. See for yourselves! I want a dozen. Many thanks to Chris Brown for remembering our discussion and sending these test shots out to me. Much appreciated.

15122966-695014694008750-410818428029104

15167570-695014684008751-138581619758475

15129493-695014874008732-572880478311385

15167668-695014994008720-442492859642017

15137439-695014920675394-118181821993245

15069134-695014824008737-397929891448979

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Looks much better indeed. But PJ recycled product number (721026 for both original and revised tooling). I wonder how can I tell which one is in the box?

10 hours ago, Homebee said:

The main parts- before and after retooling.

Source: http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95794&start=25

On that forum, you can read how they changed the engraving: "en virant les épaulements des gravures" - which roughly translates as "by throwing out the shoulders of the engraving". The depth of the engraving didn't change, apparently, it only became finer.

• Like 1

If they are truly sold out, as per OP then all should be the revised tooling.

9 hours ago, Apex said:

Looks much better indeed. But PJ recycled product number (721026 for both original and revised tooling). I wonder how can I tell which one is in the box?

• Like 1

On 15 November 2016 at 11:52 PM, Mountain goat said:

If I was my pet rabbit I'd be pricking up my ears.

Will the price be correspondingly refined as well? Always was my biggest hurdle for purchasing.

Jay

Just echoing Jay's thoughts... Something tells me that if this kit was on the market for a third off its normal retail price, I believe PJ / HPM would sell twice as many kits - if not more. 

You would think that a nicely tooled 1/72 Mirage - which now appears to be available with this revised tooling, is a subject that lovers of this beautiful aircraft would purchase more than one. I know I would. 

I've never seen any of these kits at my LHS, so I assume that most modellers also need to pay postage in order to add one of these kits to their collection. So yet another factor to consider before pulling out the credit card - and possibly then deciding otherwise. 

I'm realistic to know that we cannot expect these kits to be priced in the same region as your typical Series 2 Airfix 1/72 kits, however if thats what similar quality kits are priced at, then (IMO) that's where the starting point should be. 

I don't wish to sound like a wise crack, however those sprue shots look very much like a new tooled Airfix kit. I wonder how sales would go if this was sold in a nice red box - I suspect sales would be ten fold. Something to consider perhaps? 

Overall though, I appauld this revised tooling and hope it sells very well. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

Edited by Rabbit Leader
Revised wording / grammar
  • Like 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/HPMHobbies/posts/1359040624147547

Moulding is in progress on the revised tool 1/72 Mirage III. The wing & fuselage sprues have been improved to make the panel lines sharper and fix the short elevon actuator. On the original release we had the elevon actuators on a separate sprue.

The updated Mirage IIIO, Dagger, Nesher, Finger, MIrage IIID and Cheetah D kits will be available for pre-order soon. The Pantera kits and a new Mirage IIIO/D release will be available soon after.

15994620-1359040384147571-34646670843013

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

Well, with this, the Avant Garde Kfir and the XX Mirage IV, could 2017 be the year of the delta wing for 1/72 enthusiasts?

Plus we have the Modelsvit Mirage 4000 to look forward to perhaps

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pjproductionbe/posts/1252120088207549

REEDITION MIRAGE IIIE – IIIR/RZ/5F – 5BA/BR au 1/72

Nous l’avions annoncé mais cette fois c’est effectif, la réédition de la série des Mirages au 1/72 que nous avons développée en collaboration avec High Planes est en cours de production. La gravure ailes/fuselage a été entièrement revue et est très fine.

En ce qui nous concerne, nous proposerons les mêmes versions et références que précédemment mais dans un boîtage légèrement différent et plus solide.

Les prix devraient rester inchangés par rapport à l’ancienne production. Les nouveaux kits seront disponibles à partir de ce mois de février.

20161112-121233.jpg
V.P.
Edited by Homebee