The Sea Fury rumour thread 2

Whofan

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, baldwin8 said:

Now I hear release of Christmas 2017, are all Airfix releases getting the same amount of delay of release?

One of the guys on the Airfix stand said by mid December .

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Now showing on Airfix.com as a February release.

I also see the Mitchell is due in Feb 2018

Phantom still due this month

Wonder if Storm Eleanor has delayed arrival from China

New boxing/variant expected in November 2018 - ref. A06106 - Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 "export edition" 

• Scheme 1: VW645 Sydney August 1955
  • Scheme 2: FB11 803 Squadron Royal Canadian Navy 1948
  • Scheme 3: Sea Fury FB. MK50 no860 Squadron Royal Dutch Navy – Aerobats

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/hawker-sea-fury-export-edition-1-48.html

V.P.

Is it just me or are these strange colour scheme choices? Colourwise the VW645 is very close to the RN scheme and the Canadian scheme is very close to the HMS Glory. Why did they not pick one of the dark blue Navy schemes and the later Canadian scheme with maple leaf insignia for example?

Just now, Work In Progress said:

There are a zillion decal sheets available for the Sea Fury in 1/48 so what does it matter?

If it matters? Obviously - otherwise Airfix would not release the same kit with "different" decals :-)

I just think it is strange to offer a rebox with alternate markings if the over all look mostly remains the same - see Revell RAF Ventura boxing (they include two decal options in the box: Both the same livery with only different serials...). If I would choose a "foreign" boxing, I would go for "foreign look" as well. But of course I am not Airfix :-D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fulcrum@ said:

And why these countries are not Export ?

They were but not were all standard FAA type Sea Furies. Some had the naval equipment removed, others ( like Iraqi SF's ) had different rudders as no arrester gear was ever fitted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

Netherlands is included. Germany used it as a target tug only (I might be wrong...)

Germany operated 16 TT 20s and one FB 11.   The FB 11 was sold and later reported to be under restauration in Australia.

6 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Is it just me or are these strange colour scheme choices? Colourwise the VW645 is very close to the RN scheme and the Canadian scheme is very close to the HMS Glory. Why did they not pick one of the dark blue Navy schemes and the later Canadian scheme with maple leaf insignia for example?

Because its representative of an in service RAN Sea Fury

If one was to look at RAN Sea Furies in model form one would quite easily think we only had two blue ones and the over represented VX.730

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You beat me to it by seconds. Two of Hawker's finest will be winging their way to my stash in a couple of days! Just the B25 to go now, from 2017's new tools.

Jeff

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Wilson said:

You beat me to it by seconds. Two of Hawker's finest will be winging their way to my stash in a couple of days! 

Jeff

Ditto - ordered November 2016!

P

Edited by PDH
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Yes yes yes, ordered it long ago and i hope the wait was worth it :christmas:

It's not like there are any other good choices, although I haven't seen the AMG kit.