The Sea Fury rumour thread 2

Whofan

On 2-2-2018 at 3:06 PM, AntPhillips said:

That was quick, just noticed Hannants have the new Eduard sets for this kit and voila the Interior set includes a gunsight:

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/49878.pdf

Very strange how Airfix missed this though.

I think they have a sort of a pact together!!!

Or has Eduard a moll inside who deliberately mess up things at Airfix .....:huh:

By the way my example is devoid of strange anomaly's.....

The fit is pretty good up till now!

Edited by janneman36

5 hours ago, Inverted said:

My 2 arrived this morning. Both main canopies have prominent integral bubbles/defects that won’t polish out..... hoping this isn’t another bubble canopy mess up  (1/24 typhoon anyone?) 

other than that, the kit looks superb....

I didn't see any defects in the main canopy on any of my 5 copies, but the windscreen on at least one has some very tiny marks that that I can't tell if they are bubbles in the plastic or surface defects. They are small enough that I can live with them if they can't be removed.

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Guys , I’d check the tail fin area , looks like quite a few have gone out with short shot issues on the leading edge of the fin , some are small but some are missing quite large areas, not sure if it’s been mentioned on here yet? 

Yikes! I checked all my copies and no short shots thankfully.

3 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I think they have a sort of a pact together!!!

Or has Eduard a moll inside who deliberately mess up things at Airfix .....:huh:

By the way my example is devoid of strange anomaly's.....

The fit is pretty good up till now!

The fit of the semi-circular cowling halves leaves something to be desired. Also test fit the engine and cowl ring on the main cowl body or you're likely to end up with a gap. The cowl ring has lugs that locate in notches in the engine cylinders. If you're not careful though the engine will be mounted too far forward and the cowl ring won't seat properly.

Just a heads up.

The gun sight mounting in the Eduard seat is somewhat wrong.

The gun sight mount sits on a plate that is welded to a beam that sits across the top of the panel.

Pics to follow

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2018 at 4:50 AM, NAVY870 said:

There's a brand new Sea Fury gun sight in amongst my parts heap plus a crate or two

of dead ones in one of the containers.

647 still has hers fitted as well.

Since this is my 1000th post I'll be a decent chap and burn off a few happy snaps for those wanting to make their own.

Thanks for offering to post some photos Steve :thumbsup: 

By the way, how 'dead' are those dead gunsights?

On 02/02/2018 at 04:50, NAVY870 said:

There's a brand new Sea Fury gun sight in amongst my parts heap plus a crate or two

of dead ones in one of the containers.

647 still has hers fitted as well.

Hi Steve

what kind of gunsight was fitted to the Sea Fury?    a quick google says 'gyro gunsight'

http://www.network54.com/Forum/219149/thread/1287958238/last-1288039799/View+Thread

I presume this is you

Mk-4B gyro gunsight, identical to that fitted in the Firefly and Gannet.
Basic sight with limited ranging facility.
AP4018A & B PN refers.
SL

FWIW Quickboost do a set

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48581

QB48581.jpg?t=

Are  the Quickboost ones correct or close enough?

cheers

T

15 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Guys , I’d check the tail fin area , looks like quite a few have gone out with short shot issues on the leading edge of the fin , some are small but some are missing quite large areas, not sure if it’s been mentioned on here yet? 

Yep, I  have one with and one without. On mine its the top leading edge of the fin where it follows the narrow panel line round the cured fin top.  It's so neatly short shot you could mistake it for a deliberate feature!

will start a thread with some builders tips as i find them!

Jonners

I have found that the cowling isnt a great fit. I originally glued the 2 halves together then added the rear part with the exhausts. The trouble with mine at least is that that then left a step , so the cowling panels that open on the real thing looked sunken. I have taken it apart and glued the top half of the cowling to the rear ring , then the bottom half. This then leaves a gap where the 2 halves should  join that was easily filled with some putty. Its easier to deal with than it was. Also if you keep rotating the front ring part of the cowling you get to a point where its a good fit. Apologies for the naff photo but you get the idea.

henYkH4.jpg

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, gunpowder17 said:

I have found that the cowling isnt a great fit. I originally glued the 2 halves together then added the rear part with the exhausts. The trouble with mine at least is that that then left a step , so the cowling panels that open on the real thing looked sunken. I have taken it apart and glued the top half of the cowling to the rear ring , then the bottom half. This then leaves a gap where the 2 halves should  join that was easily filled with some putty. Its easier to deal with than it was. Also if you keep rotating the front ring part of the cowling you get to a point where its a good fit. Apologies for the naff photo but you get the idea.

henYkH4.jpg

Exactly the same issue here and fix - although i shimmed out one side with card, sanded off the fasteners then re-scribed them in. The fasteners should be flush and they are longer on the top edge.  Scribing them back in is fun!! 

Jonners

On 04/02/2018 at 12:59 PM, occa said:

Excuse my question please, likely it is already mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Is the Sea Fury Made in India or in the UK ?

Mine says made in India mate

TT

16 hours ago, Wezra said:

Is this what people were talking about re the 'short shot' on the tail?

39220380575_82544e8680_c.jpg

Yep mine has this too - irritating but fixable I think! :)

TT

• Like 1

Got my kit today. While I'm very happy about a nice, new 1:48 Sea Fury kit (I don't do many prop planes, but when I do...), I can't understand what's going on at Airfix regarding the quality. The company, their image and reputation and the pride and effort of the designers are let down by poor production and QC.

My kit has a canopy with flow and/or scratch marks, sink marks large enough they formed pin holes, a part ejection defect resulting in the edge of the open fuselage area behind the exhaust panel being deformed and in need rebuilding, the propeller blades look unevenly formed on closer inspection....

In total, this all looks much like a test shot rather than a finished product which suggests that the company doing the injection moulding either didn't study the tooling and its specific requirements regarding temperatures, time etc. or they don't understand the nature of making the small, intricate parts of model kits.

A shame really and I hope this won't have any fallout for Airfix in the long run...

Jeffrey

10 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

Got my kit today. While I'm very happy about a nice, new 1:48 Sea Fury kit (I don't do many prop planes, but when I do...), I can't understand what's going on at Airfix regarding the quality. The company, their image and reputation and the pride and effort of the designers are let down by poor production and QC.

Jeffrey

It's the same old story; not enough time/money to make sure everything's right the first time. But when things inevitably go pear-shaped, spend even more time/money to fix the avoidable problem. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

It's the same old story; not enough time/money to make sure everything's right the first time. But when things inevitably go pear-shaped, spend even more time/money to fix the avoidable problem. 

That's what happens with the company I work for. I call it the "Alright on the night culture"

Edited by Stephen
  • Sad 1

Pickup up mine from Marks Models today.  Had a quick look.  The tail is fine.  I can't see any issues with the canopy but it's still in the plastic and thus difficult to tell.  Incidentally Marks had six delivered today.  Five were on pre order so don't know how many Sea Furys will be knocking around for purchase over the next few months..

Anyway, Skua, Corsair and Firefly to finish before I start on this one...

Edited by Grey Beema

4 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

My kit has a canopy with flow and/or scratch marks, sink marks large enough they formed pin holes, a part ejection defect resulting in the edge of the open fuselage area behind the exhaust panel being deformed and in need rebuilding, the propeller blades look unevenly formed on closer inspection....

In total, this all looks much like a test shot rather than a finished product which suggests that the company doing the injection moulding either didn't study the tooling and its specific requirements regarding temperatures, time etc. or they don't understand the nature of making the small, intricate parts of model kits.

A shame really and I hope this won't have any fallout for Airfix in the long run...

Jeffrey

I hope you are returning it to the seller? Unless Airfix get a truckload of rejects back from the trade they have no impetus to force the injection moulders to up the QC ( well save reputational damage from internet discussion - and lets remember those of us who frequent forums are not the majority ).

On 04/02/2018 at 01:04, Troy Smith said:

Hi Steve

what kind of gunsight was fitted to the Sea Fury?    a quick google says 'gyro gunsight'

http://www.network54.com/Forum/219149/thread/1287958238/last-1288039799/View+Thread

I presume this is you

FWIW Quickboost do a set

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB48581

QB48581.jpg?t=

Are  the Quickboost ones correct or close enough?

cheers

T

no response on this  above,  ,but, assuming that the baisc Gyro  gunsights is similar (first introduced on late war Spitfires IIRC

in thread on Hypescale

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1518513347/Re%3A+New+Airfix+1-48+Sea+Fury...no+gunsight!

You should look at the Eduard 1/48 Spitfire kit

February 14 2018, 1:29 PM 

All of the Eduard kits have the parts (J2, J8, J11, and F24) to make the Gyro gunsight as used in the Sea Fury.

The only Eduard kit that uses the Gyro gunsight is the Mk XVI. These parts are not for use in all other Eduard Spitfires, so you're in luck if you have any Eduard Spitfires in your stash. Go to the Eduard website and check out the instructions for a Mk XVI Spitfire. There you'll find the instruction for assembly of the Gyro gunsight.

Not sure how it was mounted in the Sea Fury; you may have to scratch build a mount for it.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 12:07 AM, Troy Smith said:

no response on this  above,  ,but, assuming that the baisc Gyro  gunsights is similar (first introduced on late war Spitfires IIRC

Edited by NAVY870