The Sea Fury rumour thread 2

Whofan

8 hours ago, Whofan said:

I notice in the Pocketbond advert in the latest  SAM magazine that the Trumpeter 1/48 sea fury is shown as restock.

Perhaps a little competition going on with Airfix?

Not if you want something that looks like a Sea Fury

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Not if you want something that looks like a Sea Fury

So true :yes:. I did my Frankenfury thing and used the HC kit and the wings from the Trumpeter kit. As we all know the Trumpeter cockpit sucks. I got lucky and had a Cooper Details set to use so I was all fine there.

Cheers

Chris

So I phoned My local model shop yesterday to chase up and remind them I have my name down on their list for a Sea Fury when they turn up.  I was told that they will be a week or so behind the UK, so I might wander down tomorrow to remind them again, use to keep it at the front of their minds...

• Haha 1

All good, got one sorted

Still

Having a hell of a time finding decent references for the Godawful thing anyway, cant find squat with all the junk laying about the shed.

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 4
  • Haha 10

Hi Steve,

Have you tried the big W (as in Wonderland Models)?

Just saying, I don't have the faintest about postage costs to Australia...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

Cant find one for love nor money

No sign of it at the big H, not interested in what Hornby is charging (10 quid more the Hannants without postage)

Having a hell of a time finding decent references for the Godawful thing anyway, cant find squat with all the junk laying about the shed.

MYSlGZD.jpg

Looks like some of that junk in the background  might be a firefly ....

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Looks like some of that junk in the background  might be a firefly ....

That is a Fairey Firefly TT.5, the most original surviving RAN Firebox in captivity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

All good, got one sorted

Still

MYSlGZD.jpg

I forgot to mention, that Airfix have given Steve aka our own NAVY870 a credit in the instructions along with Roy Sutherland, I can't think of 2 more knowledgeable guys than them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

That is a Fairey Firefly TT.5, the most original surviving RAN Firebox in captivity.

Ah ha!

The junk lying around the shed also includes a spare centaurus too?   :innocent:

Nice shed !

I can't see a gunsight in my kit ether so I assume it was missed ( a peril of using the Lidar scanning on a "warbird" perhaps - though it's funny the chaps at Airfix would not realise this....)

There's also a rather annoying nasty sink mark on one side of the separate rudder - right where the hinge point is. As the rudder is awash with some very fine rivets - it will be a sod to fill and correct without removing the detail.

Other than that - so far so nice.

Jonners :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

All good, got one sorted

Still

MYSlGZD.jpg

Show off! :P

• Haha 1

There's a brand new Sea Fury gun sight in amongst the parts heap plus a crate or two

of dead ones in one of the containers.

647 still has hers fitted as well.

Since this is my 1000th post I'll be a decent chap and burn off a few happy snaps for those wanting to make their own.

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Well I have to say I’m massively impressed with this beastie- very thoughtful inclusions  and the majority of the moulding is top notch- panel lines still not Tamigawa but getting there, the panel behind th exhaust even has a millimetre wide gap in the fuselage moulding.... impressive... and the tiny exhaust pipes have hollow ends! Wow.  Looking forward to building this one- who does the decals for the prototype? 

TT

• Thanks 1

So my pre-ordered kits showed up in Central Connecticut this afternoon. Not bad considering they shipped from the UK on Tuesday. I've had a quick look at one of the kits and am generally very happy with what's been provided. A few observations:

The panel lines are suitably narrow but deep, there is also some inconsistency in the depth. In particular,  the aftmost panel line on the wingroot fairing is noticeably shallow on one fuselage half. It will need to be described to match the rest of the model.

Surface detail includes some riveting. The rivets may be a bit large in diameter, but they certainly protrude too much from the surface; probably by a couple of scale inches. If you paint with an airbrush they need to be sanded to reduce their height. 

The outer wing panels are separate from the center section to allow the model to feature folded wings. I would have preferred full span wings that you separate if you want to use the folded option. I suspect most people will want to build the kit this way. Ideally, Airfix would have provided separate sets of parts to do extended and folded wings though this would likely have increased the price.

Surprisingly, I noticed some flash, particularly on the tailwheel strut and some other small parts. I sort of hope that they will mold the export release in the UK to take advantage of the harder plastic seen in these releases.

If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm really not. I can see getting started on this kit in the near future. I do think that I see a philosophy in the way Airfix does surface detail; they surely know that most of the people who build their kits brush paint rather than airbrush. The surface detail seems designed to allow for the thicker coating of paint that results, without out the surface detail disappearing. 

55 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

The outer wing panels are separate from the center section to allow the model to feature folded wings. I would have preferred full span wings that you separate if you want to use the folded option. I suspect most people will want to build the kit this way. Ideally, Airfix would have provided separate sets of parts to do extended and folded wings though this would likely have increased the price.

Airfix supplied seperate outer wing sections for their new Phantom FG.1, and people have complained about the waste of plastic. You can please some of the people some of the time, apparently...

I've ordered 2 Sea Furys from Hannants, and I'm waiting with bated breath to see what it all looks like when it arrives. From the comments thus far, it looks like I'm in for a treat. Finally, I'll get to build 'Magnificent Obsession', which I've had the decals for for a decade or more. Hopefully they're still usable... :/

Now, what to do with my Hobbycraft Furys and the Cooper Details set...?

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Surface detail includes some riveting. The rivets may be a bit large in diameter, but they certainly protrude too much from the surface; probably by a couple of scale inches.

That seems remarkably unlikely. Two scale inches (a couple) is almost 51mm.  In 1/48 that means the rivets on the kit protrude by over 1mm. I'd buy 0.5mm at a pinch, but looking at the photos even that is an exaggeration.

Perhaps they protrude a half of a scale inch? Which is still oversized but...

shane

23 minutes ago, Shane said:

That seems remarkably unlikely. Two scale inches (a couple) is almost 51mm.  In 1/48 that means the rivets on the kit protrude by over 1mm. I'd buy 0.5mm at a pinch, but looking at the photos even that is an exaggeration.

Perhaps they protrude a half of a scale inch? Which is still oversized but...

shane

You're right, of course. I should have made the estimate myself. Even so, they are definitely too prominent. The Sea Fury was capable of over 450 mph and required a low drag airframe. If you look at any contemporary photos, it's hard to discern panel lines let alone rivets.

My 2 arrived this morning. Both main canopies have prominent integral bubbles/defects that won’t polish out..... hoping this isn’t another bubble canopy mess up  (1/24 typhoon anyone?) 

other than that, the kit looks superb....

Guys , I’d check the tail fin area , looks like quite a few have gone out with short shot issues on the leading edge of the fin , some are small but some are missing quite large areas, not sure if it’s been mentioned on here yet?